BenPanced
08-09-2010, 09:20 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100809/ap_en_tv/us_obit_patricia_neal

regdog
08-09-2010, 02:41 PM
:(

KTC
08-09-2010, 04:23 PM
I know. I heard. I loved her. RIP...and say hello to Roald for me.

ETA: Yes...I know they were divorced...but they were also in love.

CaroGirl
08-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Her strength and class are virtually unmatched in the annals of Hollywood history.

Maryn
08-09-2010, 04:33 PM
In my mind, she's forever Alma in "Hud." God, she was brilliant, so earthy and real you'd have sworn she wasn't even acting.

Hud Bannon: You're half native already. I've never seen you in a pair of shoes since you have worked here.
Alma Brown: I wore 'em once. I think to get married in. White satin pumps. I don't have 'em anymore, or the man either.

Maryn, who admired her very much

BenPanced
08-09-2010, 05:27 PM
I first saw her as Olivia Walton in The Homecoming, which was the pilot movie for The Waltons. I thought she had more of a fire in the role, and I missed her in the series.

KTC
08-09-2010, 05:36 PM
I first saw her as Olivia Walton in The Homecoming, which was the pilot movie for The Waltons. I thought she had more of a fire in the role, and I missed her in the series.

me too, me too...she was the bestest Mrs. Walton. I watch that every year it's on!!!

BenPanced
08-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Granted, Michael Learned was good in the role, too, but when Patricia Neal's Olivia got angry, dammit, SHE GOT ANGRY. I remember her rant when John Boy came home from the Baldwin sisters' with a jar and she thought it was their Papa's Special Recipe. She'd had ENOUGH that night, not knowing where her husband John was, trying to keep her sanity because it was Christmas on top of it all, and now this indignity: Demon Rum in her house. How she lit into John Boy! She finally told him to take it out back and just pour the contents onto the ground and John Boy, calmly, politely, more than a little frightened for his life, told her it was egg nog.

KTC
08-09-2010, 08:28 PM
lol...you sweet talker, you!

rhymegirl
08-09-2010, 09:37 PM

Yes. She was excellent in that role.