Rape Victims

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
In my story, a main character gets raped. It is from the first person perspective, and I would be forever grateful if I could ask some questions of some survivors. I know that rape is...well, pretty much the worst crime I can ever think of, and I hate to ask anyone relive or remember it if they don't want too.

But...I also don't want to be false, unrealistic, or worst of all: Offensive and condescending.

If you want to stay private, and I can understand why, just send me a PM and I can send you my questions.

Thank you all in advance.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As you point out, this is a difficult thing for some people to talk about, openly or privately, especially in the kind of detail you want.

I did a quick google and found the testimony Gabrielle Union gave. This may be a good jumping off point for you. I am only posting this because it was written testimony given in a hearing in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee, though. There are links to other testimony there as well. Hope this will help you.

Collectonian

Inclined to eclectic eccentricity
Registered
Reaction score
Several rape victims have written books about their experiences that may be helpful. Two I found on Amazon are:

* Denial by Jessica Stern
* To Protect the Guilty: Names Have Been Changed : The True Story of the Rape and Abuse of a Correctional Officer by Fellow Officers by Cory Oliver I

They also had a couple of Kindle compilation works, "True Stories From Rape Victims" and "Voices of Survivors: Silent No More...Survivors Speak Out", which seem to be from two groups of victims working together.

Also, are you looking more for adult victims of rape, or those raped as children. From what I know of it, the two groups would likely answer some questions very differently.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I've actually had an undisclosed number of PMs from very amazingly helpful people.

And to answer your question, I'm looking for teenage victims of rape...mostly on their recovery. The rape itself I've written. It's the recovery - the long, hard, difficult, imperfect and wonderful recovery - that I need to know about.

I want to capture the difficulty, and more than that...the...amazing fact that people can recover and survive from such a crime.

Georgina

Sushi at midnight
Registered
Reaction score
Lucky by Alice Sebold (best known as the author of The Lovely Bones) is a non-fiction story about her rape as a college student. It's a pretty hard book to get through, honestly, but it's well worth reading.

Cheers.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to thank everyone who participated. I think I've got enough to write honestly.

Thank you all

<3s and Hugs at everyone.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I've interviewed a few rape victims, and arrested their attackers. I felt anger at the perpetrators and sorry for the victims, but I really couldn't put myself in the girl's or woman's place until I saw The Last House on the Left.

There's a scene in the movie where a teenage virgin is raped. Chills ran through me as I watched it. At the same time, disgust and anger flooded my body.

Even though I knew I was watching fiction, if I could have gotten my hands on the man, I would have skinned him alive. I felt so sorry for that poor girl.