PDA

View Full Version : The Yoga Thread

backslashbaby
08-09-2010, 02:02 AM
Please help me with a name. If I attempted one of those clever alliterated ones myself, it'd crash and burn -- trust me :D

I don't know where to post this, either.

I do know that I'd love to be able to ask/answer about poses, suggestions for sequences and fun stuff like that. Cool variations, anyone?

If we have enough interest here, I'd be thrilled. I like the folks here and would have to search for a random yoga forum if I don't try this first.

I'm having to get back into a serious practice. I had a health problem that kept me from raising my pulse rate at all several months back, and my gym schedule fell to pieces.

I'm a bit of a yoga freak, though, and I have a bunch of dvds on order. Muahahaha!

So bring on the titles and any comments you have about yoga :)

Silver King
08-09-2010, 03:10 AM
...I don't know where to post this, either.
The only other places I could think of are Sports and Fitness and Conquering Challenges (where there's a great discussion called Healthy Diet and Exercise).

This thread is welcome here, of course, but if you find you'd like to try it in another room at some point, let me know and we can move it there at any time. :)

backslashbaby
08-09-2010, 03:12 AM
Thank you :)

backslashbaby
08-09-2010, 03:25 AM
A few thoughts on me and yoga:

I like the slower kinds better than the more trendy 'Power Yoga,' although I love that you can do that with it, too. I get enough of a workout holding the poses a long time. And I enjoy the extreme stretching, too. I like that slow, obviously.

My favorite parts are flexibility moves. I suck at balance poses, in largest part due to a balance problem I still have left over from a nerve disease. Except I can't explain that in class, so I just look a bit silly :D I work on them, though!

My newest obsession is trying to learn some of the advanced anusara stuff. Or anything that takes crazy flexibility but doesn't emphasize balance.

I was a gymnast as a kid into my teen years. But mostly, it feels so refreshing when you're through. And it builds muscle. That works for me!

I do do some Power Yoga and flowing stuff if anyone is into that. I do enjoy it, too.

Silver King
08-09-2010, 03:58 AM
I've watched a number of yoga programs on television and always marvel at the flexibility and stamina of those involved. One cool thing I've noticed is how the degrees of difficulty go from the very basic where just about anyone can participate, all the way to the more advanced moves that require almost super-human physical and mental abilities.

When my kids were younger, there was a show called Yoga for Kids we'd watch, and they would participate, usually executing the wrong moves while trying their best in hilarious fashion, which was a lot of fun.

backslashbaby
08-09-2010, 11:23 PM
I looove watching kids do yoga :D I used to teach my little neighbors poses. The names are great, too: Cobra, Sphinx, Tree, Frog.

I was looking at some advanced stuff and it looks deceptively easy :D I got my head stuck last night trying to turn my backbend into something cooler. Patience, Grasshopper ;) :D

One of the dvds coming in is for neck and shoulders, if anyone else is interested in that. I have a few key poses from my classes that really help my upper back problem. Like Can't Do Without help. It's amazing. I'm hoping to pick up a few more that work magic.

Do we not have many yoga folks here? Fair enough :) But if you're out there and feel like saying hello, I'd love to just say namaste or something :)

Sophia
08-09-2010, 11:30 PM
I do kundalini yoga every day, from a DVD (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kundalini-Yoga-Detox-stress-featuring/dp/B000NJLQWY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1281382052&sr=8-4). It is a meditative yoga that is done mostly while sitting cross-legged. The final twenty minutes of this particular hour-long DVD includes some gentle exercises done on your hands and knees, as well as a period of relaxation at the end. There is an approximately 15-minute-long warm-up that can be done by itself, or you can do the whole thing.

I absolutely love it. The "morning prayer" at the start of the main part of the routine always makes me feel joyous. The whole thing is great for my back, and it often stops headaches in their tracks if I do the warm-up as soon as I feel one starting up.

Wayne K
08-09-2010, 11:33 PM
I've done Hatha yoga for 15 years and I swear its better than pain killers and sleeping potions. The problem is that I'm getting old and creaky and cant move the way I used to

Kitty Pryde
08-09-2010, 11:53 PM
I took my little six year old pal to her kiddy yoga class a few months ago. Ten kids from age 3-6, one was autistic, one was screaming her head off, and the rest were bouncing off the walls. They all went into the stiflingly hot yoga studio and shut the door. An hour of alarming squawking and hollering and thumping ensued. At the end of the hour, the yoga instructor came out, looking as relaxed as if she'd spent the hour meditating alone beside a lovely mountain stream, with ten serene little pumpkins trotting calmly and quietly on her heels. The power of yoga, man.

I took a yoga class in college, and it was cool but the instructor was always ruining the serenity of the moment by bellowing "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!" at the clumsier students and startling the jumpier students into falling over.

WildScribe
08-09-2010, 11:58 PM
I took a yoga class in college, and it was cool but the instructor was always ruining the serenity of the moment by bellowing "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!" at the clumsier students and startling the jumpier students into falling over.

Hahahaha! Oh, that would suck.

backslashbaby
08-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Oooh, ElaraS, that one looks good! I don't know if I've tried Kundalini.

Kitty, I had one instructor here who wouldn't let you vary the poses! He would come over and physically change your position (normal in yoga), but he had no consideration for why you might be doing it differently. I finally had to interrupt him (he's a talker) to mention my (huge) back problem as he was trying to get me to keep my arms out in the air yet again. He was more irritated at me than embarrassed at his own teaching skills ;)

Usually the instructors are very interested in any body limitations folks might have. That's part of yoga!

I have to use my arms so much in other more beneficial poses, there's no way I do more than prayer hands after the first 20 seconds or so of the Warrior poses, etc. My bad upper back just doesn't like that at all.

Sheila Muirenn
08-10-2010, 01:34 AM

I'm a bit of a yoga freak, though, and I have a bunch of dvds on order. Muahahaha!

So bring on the titles and any comments you have about yoga :)

Ever try Shiva Rea? She's my favorite!

backslashbaby
08-10-2010, 02:13 AM
I am looking at a copy of her Creative Core Abs that the mailman just brought, AAMOF :D I've never done her stuff yet, but I'm excited!

Grrarrgh
08-10-2010, 10:43 PM
I love Bikram yoga. Actually, let me rephrase that. I love Bikram yoga when I'm finished. The first 20 minutes of the class are usually the most miserable of my week. I hate myself and curse the decision to subject myself to 75 minutes of vigorous yoga in a small room that's been heated to 98 degrees. Then I usually settle in and get into my yoga groove. By the end of the class, and for the rest of the day, I feel amazing. I just get so stretched out and wrung dry. I can feel the toxins of the week, both physical and mental, being sweated out and calm and good feelings being left in their place. That may sound a little too new-agey for some, but that's how I feel. I usually work out by getting on the cardio machines or playing racquetball with Mr. Grr, and the hot yoga just takes all of those hard, knotted up muscles and melts them away.

backslashbaby
08-10-2010, 11:38 PM
I know what you mean about the New Agey ;) I'm much more of a pragmatist, a skeptic to start with much of anything.

I can't believe how yoga makes you feel afterwards. And during, for me, now.

And I must admit that I can see how it ties into the spiritual. Those poses do make the mind go to bigger places. Huh. Well, it's a wise practice, apparently, and clearly very very old.

I'm getting to the point where I may even light candles. I know, I know. I swear I won't buy them at a yuppie store. I need some punk rock yoga candles.

And how about those mat prices? Wow. This town is full of folks who will gladly shell out $75 for a mat that buys much more peace and inner beauty than the dirty ones offered at the gym ;)

I just want something a touch hygenic. Simple. And not covered in strangers' sweat. Not a fashion or class statement, you know ;) ?

Kitty Pryde
08-10-2010, 11:48 PM
:O They're only like $15 at Target! We use them when we work out at the park--our friend runs a "boot camp". Mine is blue. It makes me terribly serene.

tjwriter
08-10-2010, 11:49 PM
I did the Shiva Rea prenatal yoga dvd a few times at the beginning of the pregnancy. It did help some of the hip pain I've experienced and I was able to take away some of the stretches to use on days where my hips hurt from sitting at work too long.

I may buy the postnatal workout to try to do after the baby.

jennontheisland
08-10-2010, 11:58 PM
I did Ashtanga power yoga a few years ago when I lived in a different city. It was great. Where I am now, hot yoga is the big thing. Bikram yoga in a room that's 35 degrees C with super high humidity. You sweat in savasana.

The studio I go to has set times, does the same series of postures every class and charges drop in fees only, and I get the student rate. I try to go at least once a week, but I missed the last 2 cause I had my kid. I'm not sure he could last the 90 minutes of the entire class. I can make it through easily now, with minimal rest requirements, and I've actually considered doing back to back classes; second one is free.

I have trouble with some of the standing balancing postures because the bottoms of my feet cramp. I'm still trying to figure out why.

backslashbaby
08-11-2010, 09:16 PM
I've never done the hot yoga thing. It sounds very fun! A doctor at my pain clinic gave me the number of a studio, but #1, it's expensive here, and #2, I have a condition that makes my tendons and ligaments overly loose to start with. That's why I'm so bendy :D The problem is, I hurt myself -- very easy to go overboard and not know it till later.

tjw - I love prenatal yoga, lol! I wanted to take as many of the classes as I could at the gym, so I was a regular in that one, too. Never been pregnant :D I loved watching the ladies progress in their pregnancies!

Kitty - ah! Thank you! $15 sounds much more reasonable. I'll have to risk the pro-rated enlightenment, I guess ;)

If anyone has an old DVD player for very cheap, please let me know! Mine has died it turns out, and all my money is slated for more important things :(

I got my dvds on half.com, btw. Awesome prices there.