PDA

View Full Version : The Wardrobe

MacAllister
08-08-2010, 10:21 PM
When I was a kid, I was so very taken with portal stories -- you know the ones, right? The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0006716873?ie=UTF8&tag=absowrit-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0006716873) for example. As a result, I spent rather a lot of time exploring the insides of the wardrobe in my parents' room, coat closets, oversized boxes and the insides of cupboards, hoping fervently to find a portal (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=154) of my own.

Yep. I was a weird little kid.

What did you cross your fingers and wish hard for, as children?

OneWriter
08-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Ahhhh..... You're good!!!! :Hail: I see why you're the jefe!!!! :D

Bartholomew
08-09-2010, 12:50 AM
Nice portal.

I always day-dreamed about meeting weird creatures. And about setting traps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ5TajZYW6Y&feature=fvst) for my imagined hordes of enemies, where I would hold them all at arrow-point and save the kingdom / planet / ship.

SaraP
08-09-2010, 02:19 AM
Every single year, when I was a kid and blew out my birthday candles, I wished for a magic wand. And get this: it wasn't because I wanted lots of things and candy and all that, it was so I could make people happy.

I think in a way this is part of what attracts me to writing. If a work of mine gets someone to smile, won't it be like a magic wand of sorts? :)

jvc
08-09-2010, 02:30 AM
I just wished I was anywhere else but where I was. Probably why I liked the escapism of books like Narnia. :)

Shakesbear
08-09-2010, 02:33 AM
I wished there was more time so I could read more.

Cranky
08-09-2010, 02:58 AM
I just wished I was anywhere else but where I was. Probably why I liked the escapism of books like Narnia. :)

Mega dittoes. I also dreamed of being able to travel in time. Back and forward. I dreamed about moving westward, like Laura Ingalls Wilder (we got to take a trip to a pioneer village in third grade -- I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!), or traveling on the Enterprise, to other worlds, on a ship where no one was poor or wanting anything material at all.

I always imagined that in another time, I'd be a better, more interesting version of myself, lol.

Jessianodel
08-09-2010, 03:06 AM
OMG OMG OMG I FOUND IT!! I FOUND THE SECRET ROOM!!!!!!

:Wha:

What?

Okay okay......WE found it *rolls eyes*

KTC
08-09-2010, 03:09 AM
Ah, Mac...I too looked endlessly for that wardrobe portal. I also searched for the golden ticket. I was certain that I'd one day fall down the rabbit hole. I had my dinner talk all laid out for my time at table with the madhatter too. I believe(d) it all.

Fallen
08-09-2010, 03:18 AM
I always wondered where the flush of a toilet would take me (mainly because dad kept saying 'get here you little sh**). But that's me, always looking down when everyone else is playing with locks and portals... :e2hammer:

Shakesbear
08-09-2010, 03:20 AM
My sister fell down the rabbit hole. Broke her ankle - but then she wasn't looking for a portal.

backslashbaby
08-09-2010, 03:38 AM
I was sure I'd find an undiscovered volcano in the Blue Ridge mountains :) And remnants of a lost civilization in the sand of the ravine behind the backyard.

I'd get inside and work on finding my superpower. I'd try to move things with my mind a while. Then I'd mix up a concoction of ingredients that might have synergistic qualities nobody had thought of, or cure Cow Pox. Then I'd read a while while I held onto the aquarium bubbler machine. It vibrated a lot, and I wanted to see if you'd get superpowers from that if you did it enough years.

You don't ;)

Sophia
08-09-2010, 12:56 PM
For me, the thing I longed for was treasure hunting with a metal detector. Not big hoards, but just Roman coins, or a bit of ancient jewellery. I also used to pass fields with little hills in them when in the car, and imagine they were Iron Age burial mounds and that I would discover them.

When I was a little older, it was going to Space Camp that gripped me. I dreamt I'd gone there, once, and the disappointment when I woke up and realised it wasn't real was immense.

rhymegirl
08-10-2010, 01:25 AM

Either to be invisible (couldn't get a spanking that way) or to be able to fly. (Saw the Mary Martin version of Peter Pan when I was little)

Midnight Star
08-10-2010, 10:24 PM
I stumbled into that room months ago. :D

What did I wish for when I was a kid? I wanted to be a dragon. A flying dragon.

I have to say, I was a pretty awesome little kid.

maxmordon
08-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Snow.

I even asked baby Jesus for it, I am almost 20 years old and I still haven't seen snow.

backslashbaby
08-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Max, if you ever can, you must visit me in NC in the winter and we'll drive up to the mountains and ski :) And eat snow cream and make snow angels.

Snow is pretty darned awesome. Occassionally. I was a kid in Chicago, lol. It can get obnoxious faster than you might think.

Wayne K
08-10-2010, 10:59 PM
I wanted to be the only man left on Earth when I was a kid, so I guess I was wishing you were all dead :D

Wayne K
08-10-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm feeling much better now

Bluestone
08-10-2010, 11:20 PM

That I was adopted.

And yes, I also transported myself from my life through reading, especially Narnia.

SaraP
08-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Snow is one of the things I missed the most about the States after we returned to Portugal. At least you've seen the ocean, Max. I think that has got to be one of the most amazing experiences on this Earth, simple and commonplace as it may sound.

Wayne K
08-10-2010, 11:27 PM
I've seen lots of things (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2d4bj592ig)

backslashbaby
08-11-2010, 12:57 AM
When I lived in Costa Rica with my aunt and uncle, a lady at work was terribly unimpressed that I was taking a trip to a spectacular volcano on the weekend.

"You've never seen a volcano?!" Hmph.

I responded with, "Have you ever seen snow?" ;)

Oh, well that was quite different! :D :D

Synonym
08-11-2010, 01:03 AM
I believe I spent an inordinate amount of time wishing I was a horse. Fast, graceful...all those things I wasn't.

OneWriter
08-11-2010, 04:46 PM
On foggy days, I thought a completely new world would unveil behind the curtain of mist. So I guess the fog was the portal of my childhood.

maxmordon
08-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Snow is one of the things I missed the most about the States after we returned to Portugal. At least you've seen the ocean, Max. I think that has got to be one of the most amazing experiences on this Earth, simple and commonplace as it may sound.

I never noticed how commonplace it was until I met an old cranky man who have never seen the ocean. Funny thing, since he lived in a small island. He simply answered "bah, I have seen pictures of it and doesn't seem so great!"

Susie
08-16-2010, 03:13 AM
I remember always wishing to write the great American novel, hasn't happened yet, though. Does an e-book count? :D

regdog
08-16-2010, 03:08 PM
When I was a kid, I was so very taken with portal stories -- you know the ones, right? The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0006716873?ie=UTF8&tag=absowrit-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0006716873) for example. As a result, I spent rather a lot of time exploring the insides of the wardrobe in my parents' room, coat closets, oversized boxes and the insides of cupboards, hoping fervently to find a portal (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=154) of my own.

So I wasn't the only kid burrowing through every closet and wardrobe to find Narnia.:)

Old Hack
08-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Snow.

I even asked baby Jesus for it, I am almost 20 years old and I still haven't seen snow.

I have seen far too much snow in my life, and most of it fell on us this past January and February. We had twelve-foot drifts, had to walk home through feet of snow (our youngest was only 9 at the time and the snow was waist-deep for him in places), our water pipes froze and we had two months of rubbish piled up because the collection van couldn't get through.

I think snow's over-rated.

Bookewyrme
08-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Ah HAH!! So this is how people got through! Mystery solved! ^_^

And, I never looked for a portal exactly, but I was always hoping to stumble upon faeries in the woods or fields. I was (and still am. I'm never growing up, never I tell you!) always fascinated by faery rings and the possibilities they presented, so I guess that's a sort of portal.

SaraP
08-17-2010, 06:59 PM
They do hide well, don't they Booke? :D

Cella
08-17-2010, 07:04 PM
when I was a kid I had a dream that there was a hidden room beneath the stairs but I was so convinced it was real, I looked for it all the time. I still remember what the rug looked like and the way the room smelled from that dream.

SaraP
08-17-2010, 07:28 PM
That was some vivid dream! Cool!

Lavern08
08-17-2010, 10:12 PM
To fly!

(Yep, I always wanted to fly)

backslashbaby
08-18-2010, 04:13 AM
We had this remote closet way down in the basement living room near where we kids had to play. There were all sorts of Grecian urns stacked against one wall inside the closet. This never interested me, for some reason, but a little boy moved in who came over, and my sister and I would make him play Wonder Woman with us.

I kept telling him we were really Amazons, too.

After a few weeks of this, I tried to think of a superpower to pull out to prove it. My superpower-gathering experiments hadn't paid off yet, so I remembered the urns.

Oh, yes I did ;)

If you ever meet a guy who swears up and down that he saw the urn-covered doorway to the portal to Wonder Woman's homeland, tell him hi for me :D

Amb the Creative
08-23-2010, 05:16 AM
This is going to sound rather ridiculous...

But as a child, my mom would tell me that the brain could do anything. Like if you can convince it strong enough, it can do anything you wish it to.

So...I tried to convince my brain that I should have wings XD. I would stand in front of a mirror and tried to picture having wings as strongly as I could.

...unfortunately, no results. Sigh. lol

CACTUSWENDY
08-23-2010, 08:11 AM
Whenever I am on the road for a long trip I look out over the passing landscape and try to see the dinosaurs coming up over the next hill. To think they really roamed the planet at one time....amazing. I have done this my whole life. :evil

Etola
09-09-2010, 09:09 PM
To fly!

(Yep, I always wanted to fly)

Ditto :D

I think I wished for the occasional portal, but more often I imagined dragons landing on my street or in the park, and flying me away to a magical dragon-land :)

Kuroyagi
10-07-2010, 04:00 AM

Maybe only for the next bread with sausages and mayonnaise, I had quite a good childhood you know. But I was actually a bit disappointed by the content of this thread because I thought it to be about clothes (I like clothes and aesthetics).

To be more on topic I think that portals are important, I have also made one via a path through a wood in one of my first stories and thereby have inserted myself into the realms of the fantastic. There is also a dokodemo doa (a door to anywhere) in a Japanese anime and manga called Doraemon AFAICR...

Abi26
10-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Mega dittoes. I also dreamed of being able to travel in time. Back and forward. I dreamed about moving westward, like Laura Ingalls Wilder (we got to take a trip to a pioneer village in third grade -- I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!), or traveling on the Enterprise, to other worlds, on a ship where no one was poor or wanting anything material at all.

I always imagined that in another time, I'd be a better, more interesting version of myself, lol.

Everyday you are a better version of your self. No matter how bad it seems sometimes! You're always improving, even if it looks different.
These can be the subject of a whole novel: A character doesn't get how he is improving always, he is always wrapped in puzzles about his self version!

Have a good day!

Cliff Face
10-30-2010, 03:01 AM
I must be the biggest freak here... as a kid I didn't wish to *see* dinosaurs... I wished I *was* a dinosaur.

I wanted to be a velociraptor. Strange, considering I didn't really like eating meat.

LGwenn
10-30-2010, 03:10 AM
I wanted to talk to animals. And then I was going to go live with them far far away from my crazy family.

cyanz
10-30-2010, 06:57 AM
Hmmm yes I read the first harry potter shortly before my 11th birthday, and knew it wasn't really going to happen, but maybe... just maybe... there might be a Hogwarts letter in the letterbox for me... My parents must have wondered why I was so eager to check the mail.

Mom'sWrite
10-30-2010, 07:12 AM

I wanted to be telekinetic and omniscient too. For a while, I wanted more than anything to be a shape-shifter and be able to speak to other species (including plants.) I also wanted it never to be 6:30 am on weekdays during the school year. From among my childish wishes, I still want peace on Earth.

27Froggie29
12-19-2010, 01:44 AM
A pet Dragon! =) Awsm, I know! =) lol

Spiral
12-19-2010, 05:02 AM
To fly!

I have a vivid memory of climbing up on a picnic table and jumping off, over and over again, certain that one of those times, if I just tried hard enough, it would happen.

And I was always looking for unicorns.

Writer5
12-23-2010, 09:03 PM
It's waaaaay sad that I wasn't an imaginative kid. Now I'm good enough to turn my memoirs into works of fiction.

backslashbaby
12-24-2010, 12:04 AM
I have a vivid memory of climbing up on a picnic table and jumping off, over and over again, certain that one of those times, if I just tried hard enough, it would happen.

And I was always looking for unicorns.

When I was terribly little -- 3 and a half -- I thought I could do anything people could do. We watched the trapeze artists in a circus on TV one night. The next day, I pictured myself in the sparkly silver bathing suit, on the trapeze, out on our playset in the backyard. I knew I didn't have a partner, but I'd seen gymnastics, too, where folks land on the ground. I broke my arm so badly! And still figured that I just needed more practice :D

frimble3
12-24-2010, 01:33 PM
For me, it's paths: through the woods, between buildings, ones where it's impossible to tell how they wind, or where they end. The ones you never go down because you're going somewhere else, or you're on a bus, or it would be silly to just 'go' for no reason. One of them is the path to somewhere special, the 'road less travelled' and we all just walk right past.

jaksen
12-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Old abandoned churches, barns, sheds and shacks, which were everywhere when I was a child. (Even the churches.) I broke into a shut-up church as a child and played in it for weeks with my cousins, sister and friends. Then we rang the bell in the bell tower.

Unfortunately my grandfather lived across the street and was the church caretaker; he had the keys, came in, caught us and told us to never go inside it again. He never told our parents either. I only told my mother about it as an adult.

But for a few weeks that church was Narnia, it was outer space, it was the 1800's, it was Oz. It had a raised pulpit for the pastor, and hymnals and Bibles had been left in place on the backs of the pews. It had a stage in the cellar and a working kitchen, but had been closed up for almost twenty years. The bell was tied down by ropes and we cut through them to ring the darn thing.

I used the same church as backdrop for one of my short stories.

My grandmother also lived in an old house (built in 1888) with a staircase that led down to nowhere; I still think about that staircase sometimes. It scared and fascinated me. My inlaws lived in a house built in 1690. It had cupboards that led to secret, hidden closets, and passageways linking it to a newer (circa early 1800's) house. I think about that house, too.

PrincessofPersia
12-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Hmmm yes I read the first harry potter shortly before my 11th birthday, and knew it wasn't really going to happen, but maybe... just maybe... there might be a Hogwarts letter in the letterbox for me... My parents must have wondered why I was so eager to check the mail.

I was in high school when the first book came out, and I waited for that letter too. :P

jkababy
12-31-2010, 02:57 AM
I wanted a thatched roof cottage in the middle of an English forest. Fairies, babbling brook..the works. I have not outgrown this. Not one smidgen.

Ingvanye
01-13-2011, 07:54 AM
I just wanted to get off planet. I wanted to visit Arzor or Janus and then a bit later it was Pern, but I still look at mysterious looking wardrobes and wonder which is the one....

Fairies wear bOOts:)
01-21-2011, 06:01 PM
I wanted to be a princess. I wished to be a princess every single b-day when I blew out the candles... lol.

Dragonquester
01-26-2011, 04:16 AM
When I was little, I was always expecting to meet a witch or a wizard or have something incredibly magical happen. And when I got older, sometimes it would...:snoopy:

jtrylch13
01-26-2011, 06:35 AM
What didn't I imagine as a kid. I tried using The Force on a regular basis, worked on my ESP powers, dressed up like Wonder Woman (UnderRoos and plastic yellow rainboots), used my wiffle ball bat as a sword for countless adventures, roamed the woods in search of all kinds of adventure, dreamed of flying, going into outerspace, being a superhero, knight, damsel not-so-in-distress, commando, Laura Ingalls, gypsy fortune teller, etc., etc. I didn't read Harry Potter until the first movie cam out and by then I was in my 20's. I knew the letter wasn't coming, but I was really hoping my kids would get one and they'd need me to teach Muggle Studies! I guess I'll never grow up. Guess that's why I'm trying to be a writer, so I have a legitimate excuse to spend my time fantasizing about the impossible!

Starhorsepax
03-09-2011, 04:31 AM
Hobbits. Did no one else here look for hobbits?

JudieQ
03-21-2011, 08:29 PM
I wanted to wish my way to Mars like John Carter. (Edger Rice Burroughs)

mscelina
03-21-2011, 08:37 PM
I always imagined that I could do magic. I would sit in front of my mirror and create spells and then watch what was going on behind me (because that was one of my witch skills, aided by the mirror) so my imaginary enemies couldn't sneak up on me. I played theme music on my little record player and took the curtains off the windows to make magic robes. Even back then, I always had to have the costume.

Steph King
05-02-2011, 06:44 PM
I wished for a pony, a pony, and above all a pony. I would have gone barefoot and in rags if I could have had a pony.

DamaNegra
05-03-2011, 09:34 PM
I also waited for my Hogwarts letter! I even bought myself a "wand" made of "magic" quartz stones and would imagine I could do spells and stuff (hell, sometimes I still do because it's fun).

I imagined I turned into a horse, I imagined I was a warrior princess and that one day I'd be called to reclaim the throne. I tried to train my telekinesis by staring at things and trying to make them move. I tried to train my mind-reading abilities. I pretended to be a ninja, or a pirate, or both.

I also used to imagine I was a dragon (this was as late as jr high).

Right now, I still like to imagine I can perform magic, I still sometimes wonder if the people I'm passing down the street can read my mind, I still imagine I'm some kind of warrior in a fantasy world and will ocassionally crash against street signs because my mind is someplace better.

I'm 22 :D

PinkPomeranian
07-17-2011, 12:21 AM
I used to wish that on my 11th birthday I would recieve a Hogwarts letter, alas I did not!

Or that I could transform into an animal or that animals could talk to me. Ahh childhood!!

Sarah Madara
08-16-2011, 11:10 PM
I merged two stories together, I think. I used to have dreams that my sister's closet (because I didn't have a closet) led to a whole other room in our teeny tiny house that I would discover and move into all by myself.

The closet was a Narnia connection, of course, but I know this fantasy was actually based on another story I read, in which some children found a bedroom in the attic that was walled off, and they only knew it was there because of a window on the outside, or something like that?

If anyone knows what that story is, I'd be delighted. I hate when I have long-lasting memories that aren't complete enough to know where they came from...

Sarah Madara
08-16-2011, 11:14 PM
Oh, and also, I fervently hoped that when I died and went to Heaven, I would get to be the girl on Voltron (Lion Force!). I desperately wanted Sven to fall in love with me. Whether we were cartoons or not in this fantasy really isn't clear anymore.

Parents, this is the danger of giving your children only a hint of religion. They'll run with it any which way.

And by the way, you Hogwarts people are making me feel OLD.

SaraP
08-16-2011, 11:35 PM
The closet was a Narnia connection, of course, but I know this fantasy was actually based on another story I read, in which some children found a bedroom in the attic that was walled off, and they only knew it was there because of a window on the outside, or something like that?

OMG, I've been looking for that story too! There are a few siblings, and one of them notices an extra window on the outside, and finds a whole family living in a secret part of the house. Is that the one?

Sarah Madara
08-16-2011, 11:42 PM
OMG, I've been looking for that story too! There are a few siblings, and one of them notices an extra window on the outside, and finds a whole family living in a secret part of the house. Is that the one?

Definitely the siblings and someone noticing the window on the outside is right.

I was thinking it was a boy's bedroom, and he wasn't there anymore, so the kids discovered some sort of secret history. But maybe you're right and I just twisted it around in my head. My memory is so very, very vague. Argh.

Well now I'm on a mission.

Sarah Madara
08-16-2011, 11:47 PM
I think it might be The Diamond in the Window, by Jane Langton. I'm going to read it and see.

Told you I was on a mission.

SaraP
08-16-2011, 11:57 PM
*googles it*

Doesn't seem familiar, but I did read it a long time ago.

Archerbird
08-17-2011, 03:10 AM

If anyone knows what that story is, I'd be delighted. I hate when I have long-lasting memories that aren't complete enough to know where they came from...

Must be more than one story, because I remember reading something very close to what SaraP describes, and it's not The Diamond in the Window.

Kayla G
08-17-2011, 04:50 AM
I remember it, but I can't for the life of me remember the title. Grrr.... Now I'm going to be Googling all night long.

Ah well. The wardrobe I looked for held not only a lion and four thrones, but also time traveling Hobbits (yes, I wanted to find them SOOO badly it hurt) who liked to run around the universe in British Police Boxes, Mr. Spock, a few lightsabers, and a plethora of unicorns.
I was a twisted child.

Oh, and I never wanted to be the princess. I wanted to be the Jedi Knight.

Ari Meermans
08-17-2011, 05:42 AM
I, too, wanted to fly when I was a child. Truthfully, I still do and still have vivid flying dreams. After it finally occurred to me that it'd take the wings of a 747 to get little "Chunky Butt" in the air I started watching for veils of mist (fog) to go through to get home. There's just something magical about fog.

fredXgeorge
08-17-2011, 05:48 AM
The two main things I wished for was to get my Hogwarts letter (I still maintain it got lost in the mail) and for Peter to come to my window and take me away to Neverland. Unfortunately he couldn't find my house.

aggieg
08-30-2011, 05:13 AM
I thought I had a twin sister and wished for her to come home to be with me again. Also, I wished to fly.

Hiroko
08-30-2011, 05:28 AM
I wanted the world to become a cartoon/anime/video game world. ESPECIALLY for Pokemon. I wanted to be a Pokemon Trainer. XD

Eva Lefoy
08-30-2011, 08:49 AM
to be picked up by the Starship Enterprise.

Hell, I still do!

Clueless
02-14-2012, 06:58 AM
I always wished that I would have a great adventure. One of those where I learned something new about myself as I vanquished my foes. With swords. I was obsessed with learning how to use a sword.

Clueless
02-14-2012, 07:08 AM
This is going to sound rather ridiculous...

But as a child, my mom would tell me that the brain could do anything. Like if you can convince it strong enough, it can do anything you wish it to.

So...I tried to convince my brain that I should have wings XD. I would stand in front of a mirror and tried to picture having wings as strongly as I could.

...unfortunately, no results. Sigh. lol

I remember as a kid I argued with my mom about the possibility of having wings. It started off as a simple question that grew until it consumed 3 years of my life as I tried to find an answer. I even created a theory based on Darwin's theory of evolution. My mom indulged me just enough to keep my attention on the subject.

This is the same woman who convinced me that I was a mutant that was growing a third ear.

kaitie
02-16-2012, 10:20 AM
What a wonderful thread to resurrect.

A unicorn. I wanted a unicorn more than anything in the world. I used to go to sleep every night and pray that when I woke up there would be a unicorn on the foot of my bed waiting for me. And every morning I woke up hoping and hoping it would be there.

I recently had a dream that I flew to a special magic land and there was a unicorn and it was the Best. Dream. Ever. It's so silly to say that, but you have no idea how much just seeing that unicorn filled my whole heart with joy.

chrysalnix
04-06-2012, 07:43 PM
I tried knocking on trees after the branch had been cut away from it, leaving an oval shaped "doorway" to somewhere awesome. No one ever answered the door.

Alternate worlds were always a big thing with me. When I used to go swimming, one side of the pool would be a normal place, but then I'd swim to the opposite side and it was a magical place. If we'd actually owned a pool, I'd have probably ended up at the Olympics one day from so many otherworld travels.

SaraP
04-06-2012, 08:33 PM
What a wonderful thread to resurrect.

A unicorn. I wanted a unicorn more than anything in the world. I used to go to sleep every night and pray that when I woke up there would be a unicorn on the foot of my bed waiting for me. And every morning I woke up hoping and hoping it would be there.

I recently had a dream that I flew to a special magic land and there was a unicorn and it was the Best. Dream. Ever. It's so silly to say that, but you have no idea how much just seeing that unicorn filled my whole heart with joy.

We Unicorns do that, you know. :heart:

bluntforcetrauma
04-07-2012, 04:28 PM
I just wanted to fly away from all my pain...I'm still running.

Nightingale
04-08-2012, 06:59 AM
Goonies was my favorite movie as a kid so I always wished for some incredible adventure, full of mystery and danger. Everytime it rained I created some kind of treasure map to follow through my neighborhood LOL!

hingraham
05-19-2012, 03:49 AM
I wanted to wish my way to Mars like John Carter. (Edger Rice Burroughs)

YESSSSS!!! I'm not the only one! (This is always one of the joys of the Internet, finding out you're not alone.)

Still love the Barsoomian books. Didn't go near the movie, like so many. They seemed to get it half right, alas, which is worse than so wrong you can consider the names an eerie coincidence.

Patrick.K
05-20-2012, 04:30 AM
I always wanted too be in a medieval era, where magic ran rampant and the forests where infested by demons and I would be part some sort of crusade as a paladin fighting evil for my country and going on glorified quests.

First book i read was on my own was Oath Bound Wizard by Christopher Stasheff I preferred more of magical knight over a wizard though haha

mugwort
05-20-2012, 04:59 AM
I wished for to see a real dinosaur. And no I don't go back that far. lol

triceretops
05-20-2012, 05:24 AM
Bunch of us kids got together and tried to dig a tunnel to Disneyland, about 14 miles away from my house. We made it as far as the neighbor's backyard, where a few tons of dirt collapsed, ruining his lawn. Thank God none of us were hurt. We had to fill it in and re-seed it, as punishment.

shakeysix
05-21-2012, 06:33 PM
i used to munch on my grandmothers gaillardias. the petals were the same color and shape as corn candy, so i figured they must taste the same. of course they didn't but that didn't stop me from sampling and spitting. blanket flower is the one flower i refuse to grow because i know how nasty it tastes--s6

Working Spy
05-31-2012, 04:34 PM
I rode my bike to all the huge (well, to a 6 year old) homes being built along the lake and dreamed of designing my own. Of course that took money - even I knew that - so, of course there was a Fairy God Mother with buckets of the stuff...too pragmatic? Story of my life.

shakeysix
05-31-2012, 05:44 PM
I have been thinking about childhood portals since I stumbled across this thread. Something weird happened to me the summer between sixth and seventh grade. Actually, that's not quite right. Nothing really happened but whatever didn't happen, it scared the hell out of me.

I was with another girl, a classmate named Rita. We lived in a small town, Great Bend, Kansas. I lived on 26th street. Rita lived a few blocks to the west. At the time Great Bend had a population of maybe ten thousand. It was an oilfield town and there were strangers passing through town looking for work.

My grandmother lived on the east side of town, on Frey Street. Rita and I used to ride our bikes in the morning, often over to Frey Street. This particular morning we were late getting home. It was about ten a.m. and starting to get hot. We decided to find some shade and rest.

We were headed north, riding on a dirt road that was more or less parallel to the highway overpass. This road was bordered by open fields on the right, a few houses were in sight on the left. There was an arrowhead shaped grove of trees in a field, a little ways from the dirt road. When I say grove, i mean about ten to twelve trees, well spaced.

I don't know what kind of trees they were but they were all the same. I didn't know the names of many trees then. They were not very tall, the trunks were slender. I could easily have circled one with my hands. The trees were planted like someone would rack billiard balls. The first tree pointed north, then there were two trees, then three. Like that. Lots of grass between the trees, lots of space, no rusted out cars or junk.

We parked our bikes and settled under a tree. I think we said something about chiggers but not much else because we were winded. And then I had the shudders, just all over cold and trembly.

I thought I was sick from the heat but then I had the impression someone was staring, glaring at me, right between my shoulder blades. I was an imaginative kid ( I read a lot of Bradbury. )and kind of sensitive about it, so I was looking around for a reasonable explanation. I had just decided that there was no one in the grove when Rita jumped up and said "Let's get out of here! Someone is watching us!"

We ran our bikes to the road and tore out for the houses. All the way I could feel a rushing just behind me. I was really frightened. I felt like something dark was following us. Maybe a man. I was too frightened to stop and look but when I tried to look over my shoulder i couldn't see anyone. We stopped at a friend's sister's house first. I remember pounding on the door in a panic but no one was home. And no one was behind us.

We went around the block to my grandmother's house but didn't go in. By then we were embarrassed to be so frightened of nothing. We sat behind her chicken house for a while and talked it out. I thought someone, maybe a hobo, had been running just behind us on the road. Rita said, no, whatever it was, had been over us all the way to Frey street. We rode home through the center of town. We even dodged the trees in the city park.

Of course we used to tell it at slumber parties and it always got bigger and scarier--wings and teeth and the ghost of a demented hobo. We didn't stay friends once we got to high school but we did talk about it once in high school. We decided that no real person could have been in that grove because we would have seen him.

The grove of trees was there until the eighties. I told my daughters the story but not the exact spot because I didn't want them to explore. I always thought about walking through it with my camera but my feet failed me. Then one day it was knocked down. After a while I decided that it was all imagination but when my mother died we were cleaning closets and I found a diary from that summer. The story was there, in bare bones. So something did happen. Although nothing happened.--s6

Patrick.K
06-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Wow that story sent shivers of my spine reading at 3 a.m. in the morning good way too get me thinking my cats someone in my house O.o

SaraP
06-08-2012, 06:03 PM
That's quite a story.

gswillis04
07-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Narnia and Middle Earth. I always wanted to visit those places and many others I found later. Even in my 20s I wanted to go there. I wanted adventure! I wanted to be the hero! Alas, while I read those books over and over as a kid, wishing to travel to those lands, I stayed the scared little nerd boy surrounded by drooling, brutish rednecks in the deep south.

Holly Green
07-26-2012, 01:13 PM
MacAllister--I spent rather a lot of time exploring the insides of the wardrobe in my parents' room, coat closets, oversized boxes and the insides of cupboards, hoping fervently to find a portal (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=154) of my own.You mean...you don't still look...? The moth ball fumes I've inhaled over the years...

LGwenn--I wanted to talk to animals. And then I was going to go live with them far far away from my crazy family.I wanted to be able to talk to animals too. I did talk to them. They seemed like they were listening...

I also spent a lot of time trying to perfect the nose wiggle, sadly without success, and would rub any lampish type object, but my wishes haven't yet been granted. (Genie features has a backlog, maybe? I'm trying to be patient.)

I didn't exactly look for hobbits, but hobbit houses. In case the hobbits needed a housesitter while they were off having adventures. How cool would a round door be...

Btw, the flat I moved into recently has very high ceilings and plenty of room in the lounge to park a Tardis, so if anyone has any contacts...

spikywriter
11-08-2012, 08:49 AM
As children our escape was to imagine ourselves as orphans. Overbearing parents much?

phantasy
12-25-2012, 11:10 PM
As children our escape was to imagine ourselves as orphans. Overbearing parents much?

LOL, yikes.

I hope you learned later how lucky you are to have them. :)

As for me, I wished so badly to have an adventure like the first post mentioned. I'm still wishing to fly and see the world. Our Earth can be as fantastic as any fantasy story. This wish of mine is really reflected in my fantasy writing. :)

Petros
03-05-2013, 08:53 PM
The house I grew up in was very small, and my bedroom was barely bigger than a closet. It was a loud, chaotic house, for various reasons, and I always wanted a quiet space. Call me antisocial, but my biggest wish was to have a whole big island just for myself.

EChavez
03-09-2013, 10:57 AM
I wanted a thatched roof cottage in the middle of an English forest. Fairies, babbling brook..the works. I have not outgrown this. Not one smidgen.

This.

Also, I wanted a magic cupboard where I could make my toy figures come alive, like in The Indian and the Cupboard. I wanted a tiny horse that I could hold in the palm of my hand. I still do, actually.

JBClemmens
03-13-2013, 08:26 AM
If I forgot to say it before, Welcome EChavez. One time I saw a small pig embedded in the rug fabric in an upstairs bedroom. I don't know if it was real or just my medication. It made me think of Indian in the Cupboard, though.

EChavez
03-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks JB. I'm sure it was real. :)

GypsyKing
03-22-2013, 05:37 PM
I didn't get my Hogwarts letter at eleven. I didn't turn out to be a mutant during puberty. I didn't find out I was the Avatar when I was sixteen.

So help me, if Gandalf doesn't come to take me on an adventure when I'm fifty, I will be very cross indeed.

JustinlDew
03-24-2013, 10:27 PM
My hogwarts letter never came, the satyrs never picked me up, and I can't the times Ive ran head first into a wardrobe. The Doctor had better have a good reason for missing my stop.

Hikari
03-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Haha! When dad used to smoke I'd look at him and think a jinni will pop out of the cigarette. That's why I always kept one under my pillow and prayed before I slept that in the morning I'd find a jinni waiting for me. xD

Liralen
04-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Mine was more mundane. I kept hoping that someone would show up and reveal that I didn't belong to my family, that it had been an awful mistake, and take me away.

When I found out we were moving from California, I kept hoping either my dance teacher or my violin teacher would tell my parents to let me stay and live with them. I looked for one or the other of them up until the van pulled away from the curb and we left for oblivion.

shakeysix
04-06-2013, 12:04 AM
I used to do these mock run- aways. I'd find a peaceful destination--a spot under the bleachers at the local softball diamond; an abandoned boxcar; my Uncle Pearl's overgrown shelter belt--and then imagine living there.

I'd start a "bedroll" to take with me. Some of the "supplies" I would haul to the place and hide. There was an Army Navy Surplus store where we baby boomer kids shopped. I had a canteen, a small machete, compass, mess kit, a book on camping.

Very early on a summer morning I would slip out the back door and head out, heart pounding. Sometimes I'd go on foot, sometimes on my trusty Huffy bike. I hate the cold so never considered running away in the winter.

As I got older I'd get farther and farther away from home, but my nerve always ran out before I got far enough to get in real trouble. Something would spook me and I would head for home.

Once, exploring on a sandpit on the Arkansas, I ran into a real runaway--a boy about fourteen, very dirty, very sad. We just stared at each other across a little neck of water. Once a friend's father packing for a fishing trip called me by name and asked me what the H I was doing on a bike that time of night-- about 4 a.m. He told me to get home or he'd call my dad. I sweated that one.

I'm a morning person. Everyone else in my family sleeps late. No one at home ever missed me. The mock runs stopped somewhere around seventh grade. I don;t know why. Maybe the fighting at home stopped. Maybe I grew up. Maybe it was looking at that real runaway.

JQ377
05-06-2013, 01:46 AM
I looked for secret passages in my house al of the time. I was sorely disappointed. We didn't even have a basement or a crawlspace.

UndergoingMitosis
05-07-2013, 12:43 AM
I never believed in Santa Claus, but when my Hogwarts letter didn't come, I balled my eyes out. I think I cried every day for the first week of sixth grade.

So, at four I totally didn't buy a story about a fat dude who likes chimneys that most kids eat up. At eleven, I wanted Hogwarts to be real so desperately that I almost convinced myself it was.

Sophomore year of college the apartment I lived in had a little trap door for putting the trash out. Not a chute, but like an actual tiny door, with a tiny room behind it just for trash. And then my landlord would come by and pick up the trash from all the apartments. (It was a sweet deal on our part.) We got a lot of questions about what this tiny door was, to the point where we just put up a sign that said "To Narnia."

I'm like the Curious Case of Benjamin I-Believe-In-Things-That-Clearly-Aren't-Real.

Jaims22
06-14-2013, 05:00 AM
Wow, I don't think I've ever admitted this to anyone before, but if you have seen The Truman Show, that was it for me. I always imagined my life was on display, that there were people always watching me. So I usually acted like I was a perfect angel when I remembered to think about people watching me.
Yeah, I was weird too.

Lidiya
06-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Haha, a lot of things.

My first wish was to be a turtle, lol. I made my mum tie pillows to my back and I crawled around the floor. Then I wanted to fly, making my religious grandma pray to God for flying powers.

Then I wanted to be a wizard, then Indiana Jones. The last "magic" weird thing I did was finding an old lamp-like teapot and rubbing it, in a last hope for something to happen. I wasn't even young or anything, hehe.

Lidiya
06-22-2013, 09:39 PM
I never believed in Santa Claus, but when my Hogwarts letter didn't come, I balled my eyes out. I think I cried every day for the first week of sixth grade.

So, at four I totally didn't buy a story about a fat dude who likes chimneys that most kids eat up. At eleven, I wanted Hogwarts to be real so desperately that I almost convinced myself it was.

Sophomore year of college the apartment I lived in had a little trap door for putting the trash out. Not a chute, but like an actual tiny door, with a tiny room behind it just for trash. And then my landlord would come by and pick up the trash from all the apartments. (It was a sweet deal on our part.) We got a lot of questions about what this tiny door was, to the point where we just put up a sign that said "To Narnia."

I'm like the Curious Case of Benjamin I-Believe-In-Things-That-Clearly-Aren't-Real.

Haha, this reminds me of when I watched the Harry Potter movies. I wasn't even that obsessed but my parents told me they'd sign me up to a school like this when I was 14.

Well, my 14th birthday came years ago and I still haven't been signed up to Hogwarts! The letter must have gotten lost somewhere, huh?

dwcopela
06-27-2013, 08:37 PM
I always had nightmares as a kid so I would wish to be a hero so I could have the courage to fight the nightmares. I guess that is why superheroes have always appealed to me-they gave me a model for courage and character.

71writer
06-29-2013, 07:50 PM
What didn't I imagine as a kid. I tried using The Force on a regular basis, worked on my ESP powers, dressed up like Wonder Woman (UnderRoos and plastic yellow rainboots), used my wiffle ball bat as a sword for countless adventures, roamed the woods in search of all kinds of adventure, dreamed of flying, going into outerspace, being a superhero, knight, damsel not-so-in-distress, commando, Laura Ingalls, gypsy fortune teller, etc., etc. I didn't read Harry Potter until the first movie cam out and by then I was in my 20's. I knew the letter wasn't coming, but I was really hoping my kids would get one and they'd need me to teach Muggle Studies! I guess I'll never grow up. Guess that's why I'm trying to be a writer, so I have a legitimate excuse to spend my time fantasizing about the impossible!

Yes, yes, yes! You just described me. :) I have grown up, unfortunately, :( but now that my kids are almost grown I am rediscovering my youth. Lol. I am reading kids books, YA books & remembering what it all was that I loved about being a kid. The innocence, the magic, the wonder of it all.
Believe it or not I have still never read Narnia, Alice in Wonderland, LOTR, Treasure Island or any of the other great works. I was into the Little House Books, Harriet the Spy was my favorite stand alone, and books where you were able to choose your adventure.
So I imagined many things growing up. I was Wonder Woman in my underoos, Little Rascals (from t.v. show) camping under a blanket tent with my flashlight like they did, I slept in the loft of the Little House in the Big Woods and played dolls with Laura & Mary, played while Pa smoked the meat in the old tree that was made into a smoker. I constantly dreamed of time travel and being able to go back in time, which I still dream of to be honest.
Our house was quite old, my dad still lives there, and I remember my parents bedroom closet. At the time it didn't have a solid wall behind it but a curtain that separated it from the bedroom beside it. So I could literally walk through that closet into the next room. They also have a cupboard under the stairs that I was just sure held someone waiting to get me. I never ventured into the attic but convinced my sister that that was where mom and dad hid the bodies.

riversunderneath
08-02-2013, 04:25 AM
When I was little I wanted to be a Mermaid. I dreamed that one day I could jump in the lake or river and grow fins! I would even eat sea weed because it was rumored that if you ate seaweed you would turn into a mermaid.

Also I did the portal thing also. I would climb to the back of my parents closet to try to get somewhere else, so that is definitely not weird, or is it?

Humble Squid
08-13-2013, 01:04 AM
I was a nerdy kid, didn't make friends too easily until late in high school (ironically, the old adage is true, learn how to play guitar and...)

Consequently my brother and I were in love with all things D&D as kids and we used to think that summer mornings before our parents awoke were magical - we'd dress up in our "armor" and "robes", grab our "weapons" and head out into the enchanted world of the backyard.

we hoped and hoped and hoped that we would somehow stumble on a doorway leading to Krynn. (kinda still do) haha.

thothguard51
08-13-2013, 01:22 AM
I always wanted to go to Barsoom. Does anyone know where that cave is in Arizonia?

Randy Lee
09-24-2013, 05:17 AM
I always wanted the powers of Go Man, a superhero I created when I was a kid. He could teleport himself to any place in his field of view. Or and least Shoe Man, who made shoes that could fly.

In my adulthood, when I saw move Spaceballs I didn't like it, but I did want a flying Winnebago like in the movie. Or later, at least a flying bison like Aang had in Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Hmm. There seems to be a common theme here.

For some reason, I still think of Go Man when I look at the moon. But it probably wouldn't be very healthy to teleport myself to the moon, I guess. It would be fine with a space suit, though. And I think of Shoe Man when I go shopping. It sure would be nice to zoom up and down those aisles, pushing that shopping cart, with a pair of flying shoes on my feet. I'm sure a good psychologist could have a field day with this.

Updrifting
03-22-2014, 04:46 PM
I'm with Riversunderneath - I pretended to be a mermaid. Even in college, after I'd worked the late shift, campus security would leave the pool open for me so I could swim and make believe I was floating through another, more beautiful world. It's a dream I apparently can't let go of, since my paranormal romance books are about sirens!

As a footnote, I'm kinda afraid of the ocean and usually refuse to swim in it when I have the chance. Too many shark movies from my youth, and anyway, isn't that why God created swimming pools?

shakeysix
03-22-2014, 09:44 PM
I do terrariums in the winter. They are tiny, ferny, miniature worlds complete with figurines, quartz boulders and gates. They remind me of a book I loved as a kid: "The Boys Who Vanished." I keep terrariums on my desk, on the dining room table, by my bed. Portals! Tiny little portals. --s6

Sweetwheat
03-25-2014, 08:49 PM
lmao what a great thread!
Well, when I was like 9 years old I desperately tried going into the Digimon world. I would draw a circle of chalk on the asphalt and would repeatedly jump inside, hoping that one of my jumps would transport me to Digi World. Never happened.
When I was in middle school I had a serious situation. I was obsessed with Harry Potter and I seriously wanted to become a witch. But since my family would go to church on Sundays, I grew up thinking witchcraft was of the devil. So I thought, "Can I really damn my soul to become a witch? I so want to be a witch." You have NO idea the fear and confusion that 12-yr old me went through. Tough times.
When I was much younger I saw that one faerie movie about the cousins and the dad and it spoke to me. I just knew that there were faeries out there living in the wilderness. I spent soo much time looking for their little homes and building sand-homes at the beach and decorating them with twigs and flowers for them. I would look at trees and bushes and imagine them walking around. Actually, to this day I look at nature and I can just picture them out and about. And I get sad even now because I wish I could be a small little thing that runs around underneath bushes and trees. Two years ago I bough a fairy door. Faes, demons, Big Foot, aliens, Earth as a spirit, talking dolphins from other planets, reptilians, vampires, gnomes and goblins, they are all as real to me as the humans I interact with on a daily basis. It just feels right.
*shrugs* To each their own.

erikafabulous
03-27-2014, 03:27 AM
Wow, so many kindred spirits here. I also spent a bit of my youth looking for portals (now that I'm haunting a writing forum I can use the correct term for it. . .learn something new every day, right?). I also spent a lot of time hoping that random rocks were wish-granting artifacts, like the coin in half magic. Alas, none if it ever worked out.

BaneStryfe
03-29-2014, 04:06 AM
I grew up playing video games and found myself wishing that some of the cartoons were real where you get sucked into the game to help the heroes and that stuff. I wrote so many stories where that stuff happened.

But I have to agree with the whole mermaid thing. I always wanted to be a mermaid. Yes, a mermaid, not a merman. Or have wings like an angel, or be a princess. I even wrote a novel, a 70,000 word story about a man who falls in with a group of witches and they do all sorts of things to him including turning him into a mermaid or princess and stuff. I thought it was really good at the time.

The scary part is I still want to be a mermaid or princess.

The even scarier part is that I'm a guy.

Sweetwheat
03-29-2014, 05:17 AM
I grew up playing video games and found myself wishing that some of the cartoons were real where you get sucked into the game to help the heroes and that stuff. I wrote so many stories where that stuff happened.

But I have to agree with the whole mermaid thing. I always wanted to be a mermaid. Yes, a mermaid, not a merman. Or have wings like an angel, or be a princess. I even wrote a novel, a 70,000 word story about a man who falls in with a group of witches and they do all sorts of things to him including turning him into a mermaid or princess and stuff. I thought it was really good at the time.

The scary part is I still want to be a mermaid or princess.

The even scarier part is that I'm a guy.

Not scary at all! What if you were a mermaid princess in a past life??? ^^

BaneStryfe
03-29-2014, 05:20 AM
Not scary at all! What if you were a mermaid princess in a past life??? ^^

The best of all worlds... though the pretty dresses would be hard to wear under water

Prodigy
04-04-2014, 12:34 PM
LOl i dreamt of being a pokemon master xD

Iamfenian
04-21-2014, 12:06 AM
What a fantastic thread! I actually address this in my novel...our world is dismissing magic! I did not wish for anything other than good weather for my first Red Sox Game but the magic in my life was exploring the woods and streams near my home. This may sound lame but it is truth.

PlannerDan
05-10-2014, 12:23 AM
OMG, that's way too far back to remember...what did I wish? Well I always wanted to have a genie give me three wishes. I schemed and figured for hours what those wishes would be. I never ever settled on the best three. The last one was always, "I wish for three more wishes." But I always suspected that would violate some "three wishes clause" and negate the first two wishes.

Joanna Alonzo
05-10-2014, 08:58 AM
OMG, that's way too far back to remember...what did I wish? Well I always wanted to have a genie give me three wishes. I schemed and figured for hours what those wishes would be. I never ever settled on the best three. The last one was always, "I wish for three more wishes." But I always suspected that would violate some "three wishes clause" and negate the first two wishes.
Ha! This!

Ever since I watched Aladdin as a kid, I've always tried to figure out how to maximize my wishes.

I wasn't looking for portals when I was a kid, but I always wanted to time travel and show off my various gadgets and gizmos to people in the past and watch how amazed they are at my awesomeness. (I always wondered what it would be like to bring my laptop and a couple of DVDs - Tarantino movies maybe - and show them to conservative people in the past, and kinda go, "This is what the world will come to." Generally just freak people out.)

I also wanted to become a waitress, because I thought that waitresses get to decide who eats for free and who doesn't. I was thinking, "If I were a waitress, everyone gets to eat for free! Except..." (list of kids who were mean to me).

Also my cousin and I decided that if we ate a lot of chicken wings, we'd eventually be able to fly. To this day, during family reunions, the two of us still fight over the wing part of all chicken dishes.

mrsmig
05-10-2014, 07:02 PM
When I was a kid, I was convinced that I would find something magical amongst trees. A forest was best - not big enough to get lost in, but big enough to hide and play in. I would make "rooms" in clearings and build pretend fires. Once I found a standing snag with a hollow just large enough for a small girl to crawl into, and that was fun in spite of the bugs.

Oddly, I didn't climb trees - I liked the roots best. One of the houses of my youth had a big oak tree in the front yard, and the positioning of its roots had formed a perfectly round, shallow space right at the base of the trunk. One day I filled the space with the nicest acorns I could find - big, unblemished ones, with their caps still on (important!). The next day all the acorns were gone and in their place were walnuts, pecans and almonds, all in the shell. I was convinced that squirrels, or perhaps some magical entity, had traded with me. I ran inside to tell my mother. She was noncommittal, but allowed me to eat the nuts.

I put more acorns out, but it never happened again. I always suspected it was my mother who traded with me but I didn't quiz her about it because I wanted so badly for the trade to be magical.

My mother is 93 now and to this day I've never asked her about it. Sometimes you don't want explanations.

lilmerlin
09-03-2014, 02:10 PM
I had no time for daydreaming. I had more invisible friends back then than I have invisible friends on FB today. And I knew all their needs, wants, stories,... too. They kept me awfully busy. Still do.

BlueCloud
09-05-2014, 01:37 AM
I wanted a pet owl. And I got one, too: a hand puppet, who had every career and lived in every country that I could imagine. Who needed a Barbie doll when I had my owl?

And my first novel was about an owl, based on a true story.

taeray
09-22-2014, 02:44 AM
I dreamed that my yard was a giant horse field and I had one lead horse who was my best friend. I'd run around my yard pretending I was riding her. My favorite books at that age were the Black Stallion series and Misty of Chincoteague. I loved Narnia but my dad is a Oklahoma buddhist who believes in magic so I honestly believed there were fairies in our yard and gnomes in the house.

Underdawg47
01-20-2015, 06:11 AM
As a kid, my cousins and I would take little bicycle trips on small country roads past the neighboring farms. I had always dreamed and wondered what it would be like if I just kept going. When I was in college I met a guy who told the most adventurous tales of hitch hiking and living the life of a vagabond. A year later I dropped out of college, bought a ticket to Houma Louisiana and lived a year as a homeless person and hitch hiking through the South.

A few years after that I had gone back and finished college, worked a couple of years doing farm work and rode a bicycle from my hometown in Kentucky to the Pacific coast in Oregon. A month after that I joined the army.

Deepthought
01-24-2015, 07:28 AM
LOl i dreamt of being a pokemon master xD

Yeah, I wished so hard that pokemon were real and that I wouldn't have to go to school and that my pokemon would be able to do stuff for me so I would never need a job and so I could travel the land with them and become legendary through my hard work.

az shea
03-12-2015, 10:59 AM

To shapechange.

I think for a long time I still thought it would simply happen. Like it was a stage one had to get to.

Thank you, Mac. This is lovely.

So I wasn't the only kid burrowing through every closet and wardrobe to find Narnia.:)

Nope. If you hung out on HoloMuck (http://www.holomuck.org/), they had a wardrobe you could walk through. I think there were three portals to or from Narnia -- possibly all one-way! -- but I only remember two.

I liked hanging out on the ocean. That was where Narnia was. A little slice of it. I'd float down the river to the ocean and lurk near the castle.

az shea
03-12-2015, 11:13 AM
I didn't get my Hogwarts letter at eleven. I didn't turn out to be a mutant during puberty. I didn't find out I was the Avatar when I was sixteen.

So help me, if Gandalf doesn't come to take me on an adventure when I'm fifty, I will be very cross indeed.

What a great exit line!

Truly... I think we all need to go on that adventure.

kdaniel171
04-09-2015, 09:26 PM
I was obsessed with Harry Potter books.
When I was 10 years old I used to draw a scar on my forehead, imagine
that the soda was a butterbeer and desperately wait for an owl with my letter from Hogwarts.

chaneyk06
04-15-2015, 10:07 AM
I used to hide from bullies on the playground and intently visualize a dragon swooping in to carry me off, and lightly toasting a few of them for good measure. After which we would have many adventures, and NOBODY WOULD MESS WITH ME.

MacAllister
04-15-2015, 11:11 AM
Can I just say how much I love this thread?

SaraP
04-15-2015, 01:26 PM
:heart:

I would say this is one instance where kids will be kids really is true.

Lazarene
04-23-2015, 02:45 PM
As sad as it sounds I always wished for a world to myself. From a young age I was more content with my own company than that of others. Eventually the wish changed to having a spaceship that would allow me to discover all the glories of the universe.

Ah, good times.

Artemissed
07-10-2015, 12:57 AM
What a gorgeous thread MacAllister (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?13-MacAllister). I had a pet bird that came with me on the tough days - and a herd of pigs that trampled through the house. Searched for my adoption papers all over. Found my mother's diaphragm instead. Did stuff to it. My sister was born after that.

Ian_Else
12-25-2015, 02:17 AM
I was such a Star Wars Fanatic that I fervently hoped that I would one day awaken to the Force. I went around as a kid and meditated, thrust my hands out trying to feel the Force, and would even speak as if I was a Jedi. I wanted to be a Jedi so bad and I did this for years.

Twick
01-27-2016, 02:00 AM
Apparently when I was a preschooler I had an invisible friend named Jane. We were inseparable for several years.

At least, according to my parents. Strangely, I have absolutely no memory of Jane. The name stirs no vague emotions within me. Either my parents were pulling my leg, or Jane one day disappeared without leaving even a vague wisp of memory behind her. Sort of like Puff the Magic Dragon, but in reverse.

jannert
03-19-2016, 12:45 PM
For years I used to fantasize that I lived under a large, spreading tree. However, this was a pretty good existence, and not at all a 'roughing it' kind of experience. There was a stream that ran past just inside the shade, so I had water. The branches and leaves were very thick, so I never got wet when it rained. Lots of good things to eat grew on the tree so I didn't have to leave its shelter very often. The climate was sunny and warm, so I was comfortable. I usually lived with a bunch of other kids, usually brothers and sisters (imaginary.)

Most importantly, it was the ONLY tree nearby. So I could look out and see anybody who might be coming my way. And they usually did come my way, because ...well, it was the only tree, wasn't it? So I got to meet lots of interesting people, offer them hospitality, and get involved in their stories too.

To this day, I'm drawn to stories where there is a person, or group of people, living in relative isolation and comfort. And then a stranger appears in their world who stirs everything up and tips the balance.

The Stoopidist
05-11-2016, 05:55 AM
My own horse. After reading Walter Farley and Marguerite Henry, I was convinced I was perfectly suited for The Black or Sham.

Anonymouse
06-01-2016, 05:35 AM
I wanted to fly. Under my own power, just lift up and float away. Two funny stories related to that: I had somehow acquired one of those propeller/beanie hats, and was absolutely *convinced* that this addition to my wardrobe allowed me to soar. I wore the darned thing everywhere, including to one of those malls with the terraced levels. I looked over the edge of the balcony and casually asked my mom, "Do you think I could make it to the other side if I jumped off of this one?" I don't think I'd ever been picked up and carried away from the edge of a balcony quite so quickly.

I also asked my Grandfather to catch me as I jumped out of a tree (just in case I couldn't, actually, fly, you know?) He, uh, side-stepped in order to demonstrate the laws of gravity. I crash-landed. (And yet it still took me a couple more months to come to terms with the fact that human beings simply do not possess the ability to fly. I was a stubborn kid).

DitzyDoris
06-03-2016, 05:42 PM
I dreamed about finding The Magic Faraway Tree to meet all those wonderful characters and climb to the top to see what was there :) I am still a fan of Enid Blyton.

Victor Ray
07-01-2016, 05:29 PM
When I was very young, It was a ring, Green Lantern's, a genie, or something similar. As I reached puberty, I dreamt I had contracted a disease, (or perhaps a symbiotic micro organism) that made me functionally immortal. Youth, as a side effect, could be passed to my girlfriend, if I'd ever had one, just like an STD.

Gilroy Cullen
07-01-2016, 06:42 PM
Okay I admit, I wanted a talking car. And if it because a big talking robot, so much the better. But I'd settle for a KITT car just as much.

That or a BSG Viper pilot. Cause that looked so cool...

Lapidar
03-04-2017, 12:42 AM
I was so hoping, that I had been exchanged in hospital as a baby. That in reality I was the long lost heiress to a kingdom (not specified...but biggish and more or less sort of Elisabethan). Unfortunately. I was a house birth.

Chronic
03-04-2017, 12:54 AM
I wanted to be the Hulk, but I would have settled for being Tarzan.

shakeysix
03-04-2017, 01:07 AM
This summer my grand daughters and the two neighbor boys tried to jam back into the tree house in my back yard. They played in it until they became too "cool" and then, on a whim, they decided to play there again. They are fifteen, fourteen, eleven and twelve. They didn't fit anymore. In fact they were stuck. They were hollering so loudly that I came out on the porch to see what was up. All I could see were giant feet and elbows sticking out the windows. I admit, it tugged at my heart. You really can't go back again.

Well, they can't. But I am repainting and re-roofing it for my newest grandson and his two year old cousin, buying new lunch boxes, flashlights, bug nets, sleeping bags. Looking up new cookie and sandwich ideas. So I guess I can go back again. --s6

BethParker
09-08-2017, 09:42 AM
I found a portal when I was a kid. OK, not really a portal. It was a secret room. We were staying with my grandparents in a big old farmhouse with a hip roof and a whole lot of bedrooms. I went exploring in the closet of the room I shared with my brother and found a small door. Naturally, I crawled through it. I stood up inside and as I started feeling around, my hand brushed against a string hanging from the ceiling. I pulled it, and the light came on! It still worked! My brother and I and a few of our cousins spent hours playing in there.

CJBatlle
10-02-2017, 10:32 PM
Not quite the same, but I spent a ton of time sitting in Church. So, I would pretend their were angels and devils fighting throughout the sanctuary. Mostly, they were on the ceiling. I'm sure I looked very pious staring up at the heavens while the preacher delivered his sermon. As for straight wishing for stuff, I would have loved to be able to move things with the force. I can't.

Alix_Sharpe
12-17-2017, 09:19 PM
Portals as well for me, but the ability to talk to cats would have been an acceptable trade-off.