A font licensing question

Locusta

Expat writer in NL
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maastrichtminutiae.com
I'm currently laying out my first graphic novel (for our webcomic), which is a very exciting thing, but also a lot of new skills to learn.

What I'd like to verify at the moment, is what legal right I have to printing the fonts that came standard with InDesign (CS2) and Microsoft's Word. Can I use those fonts in my book as-is? Or do I need to get some additional permission from the rightsholder on the font?

Not that it probably matters, but this initial print run is very small, approximately 50 books.

Thank you for your help.

DoctorMandaBenson

I iz Publishr!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tangentrine.com
Yes, you can. If there are any licensing restrictions with the fonts, they will fail to embed when you create the pdf. If this is the case, just pick replacement fonts and re-run the postscript.

And great to see someone else who enjoys typesetting! People keep telling me I'm mad. ;-) Aren't fonts fun?

Locusta

Expat writer in NL
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maastrichtminutiae.com
Thank you. :) That's just what I wanted to hear.

I'll be completely honest, this is the first book I've typeset, but I use to work for a publishing company and had to monkey with files from time to time (I was an archivist there), so I'm not completely green.

Fonts are fun. :) I really enjoy creating "containers", as my husband puts it, which is what this book sort of is since I didn't write or draw it. I do websites too; just not in InDesign. ;)

Deleted member 42

If you use the Magic Six, you do not have to license them--or embed them, which means you'll have a slimmer file.

On the other hand, licensing a font can be as little as $2000.00.

Deleted member 42

The six fonts distributed by Microsoft; they used to be the standard Web fonts.

Depending on what you're doing--and whether or not you expect the .pdf to be read on Unix systems other than OS X--you'll want to get a sample test and ask users how it looks.