I Think I'm Allergic to my Fish Tank

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I JUST got a fresh water fish tank for a goldfish. I just bought him a buddy yesterday. New toys, etc.

We put it up in the bedroom because the dresser I have is the only place strong enough for it right now.

Ever since then I've had grossness on the inside of my face that I can feel. I cough all the time.

Seriously, I've never had allergies before. I think that's what it is. I'm allergic to a fish tank?

I'm thinking I need to move the fish tank out of the bedroom and then it will be OK, won't have to get rid of the fish.

Is that weird to be allergic to a fish tank?

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of that before, but I wouldn't rule it out. Have you reacted to anyone else's fish tank this way? How did you manage in the store (full of fish tanks) when you were buying the fish?

There are a couple of other possibilites to consider:

When you got the area ready for the fish tank, did you stir up a lot of dust? You may have a dust allergy if that's the case,

OR

there's also the possibility that you're allergic to the fish food, if you got it on your hands and touched your face with it.

Try taking an antihistimine, and see if that makes the grossness and the cough go away. If it does, you probably have an allergy of some sort. Then wait and see--if it happens again tonight, it may be the tank. If it doesn't, it may have been the dust.

If it doesn't, you're probably turning into a zombie, and I can't help you there... :D

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
:D I just took allergy meds so hopefully that'll clear things up.

I'll try it again tonight. Hopefully it's not zombie-ness or allergies. I love having the fish tank in there. It's nice to look at in there.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
And no, I've never been allergic to anything before. Nothing I know of.

I can't tell but may be because of the extra moisture in the air? I'm looking online for someone who may have been allergic to their fish tanks, but I'm not coming up with much.

At the store I was just fine. I was eyeballing all the fish, picking out which one I wanted for a buddy for my own fish. I was cleaning out Bob's old fish bowl too and nothing happened.

Maybe it's Louisiana being high moisture levels in the air and I just added more moisture to the place?

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Or if you were cleaning out the old bowl, it may have been the goo and mold from there causing the problem. Take a day or so, and see if it clears up. It may have been just the cleaning and setting up causing the problems, and as soon as things settle, you'll be fine.

Or a zombie... :tongue

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
flush them down the toilet and see if it clears up.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Gaw. They'll die soon enough under my care. Well maybe they won't suffer from my poor care taking if I flush them. :p

I'll try to give it a couple of days.

Maybe I should let the zombie sleep outside for a while. :)

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
or you could eat them and see if your condition gets worse.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Gaw. They'll die soon enough under my care. Well maybe they won't suffer from my poor care taking if I flush them. :p

Sorry to tell you that if you got your goldfish a bigger tank, they'll likely live longer. The main reason goldfish die is because they need a lot more space than the typical bowl provides.

I have mine in a 25 gallon tank now. I call them "Shark 1" and "Shark 2."

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
And no, I've never been allergic to anything before. Nothing I know of.

I can't tell but may be because of the extra moisture in the air? I'm looking online for someone who may have been allergic to their fish tanks, but I'm not coming up with much.

At the store I was just fine. I was eyeballing all the fish, picking out which one I wanted for a buddy for my own fish. I was cleaning out Bob's old fish bowl too and nothing happened.

Maybe it's Louisiana being high moisture levels in the air and I just added more moisture to the place?
Extra moisture was my first thought, but I can't believe it's JUST more moisture, as people use humidifiers (the last one I saw was a Spongebob Squarepants) in rooms to help people with illnesses. It's gotta be something else.

Mold does grow in higher moisture areas, but I think that takes more than a day or two.

I can imagine sometime just before the end of the world in 2012 two large man-eating goldfish being discovered along the Louisiana coast.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
My google-fu leads me to believe that it's not likely you're allergic to the fish(that's more likely to lead to dermatitis), but the algae/mould is a real possibility, especially if you've just cleaned the tank.

But that means you get out of cleaning the tank and can offload it onto someone else, right? :D Oh, and they have to keep it reaaaaal clean too.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I was thinking algae too. Quite possibly the fish food could cause your reactions. There's quite the amount of ingredients in fish food. I've owned fish tanks for years, salt and fresh, and never had a problem with my freshwater tanks. The saltwater, however, I've gotten rashes, but I think that's due to the salt in the water, plus there are tons of tiny life forms that can mess with you, especially if live rock is added. Bristleworms come to mind. I've been stung by them occasionally. I loved my tank as a saltwater reef, but I can't afford it as such anymore. Now it's a freshwater tank with algae infested live plants, that may get the heave ho.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A dehumidifier might help, or a tank cover. Fish tanks really don't produce allergens.

And joking aside, if you get rid of the fish, return them to the store. Flushing is seriously inhumane.

Gugland

Sufficiently downsized
Registered
Reaction score
Probably the old fishbowl you cleaned out. I borrowed a friend's shopvac once and had to clean it out. It was obvious from the debris inside that its last job was cleaning out a fishtank. I had major sinus congestion for a couple days afterward, but then it passed.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I feel better already. We'll see if tonight I have a reaction to sleeping with the fish tank.

It has a lid to it. Louisiana already has a high humidity so I wasn't sure more moisture in the air would be the cause.

I'll have to experiment. Unfortunately experimenting means exposing myself to more face torture to see how I feel. :)