Normal bookstore pre-order range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
I know there may be no one answer to this one, but I'm curious enough to put it out there anyway. In anyone's experience, what would be considered a reasonably good pre-order number by B+arnes & N0ble or B0rders, e.g., of a non-fiction book by first author, leaving out the sensational or celebrity type. Just your regular ol' Joe book, but possibly with some reasonably broad appeal.

My publisher said there are some good pre-orders, but this may be a subjective thing, or based on their lower expectation of my book. Or it could be good - thinking optimistically, instead of like an insecure, obsessive first time author. :D

susangpyp

Registered
Reaction score
IMHO, these are questions you need to let go of. There are so many factors--including the talent of the salesperson, floor room etc--that have nothing to do with you as an author or a reflection of your book. My book has sold 11k copies in a year. My publisher and agent think that is fantastic, but the number disappointed me when I first heard it. But all year I tried to guestimate how much I was selling. And it drove me crazy.

I now just want to hear "it's doing well.." "We're pleased..." and the most important "We look forward to your next proposal..." (which was already said).

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for responding, Susan. I really have no expectations and am trying to listen to the positive words, but just curious about the attitudes of bookstores in pre-ordering a certain volume of a book they haven't seen or read. In other words, is an order of X indicative of the level of interest in the subject. But I can see from the lack of response that no one really knows, (or it's too subjective) which is okay too. :)

Actually I would be happy with annual sales of 11K copies!

Status
Not open for further replies.