PDA

View Full Version : Fun time is over--I'm Going Back to Work!

underthecity
08-06-2010, 08:55 PM
After nineteen months being unemployed, and with two weeks left of unemployment (this week and next), I'm going back to work.

I got the call this afternoon. The HR guy at the company where I worked for two and a half years, the time period during which I wrote my novel The Ghost Machine, called to offer me my old job back. It's manufacturing, an industry that has really taken a dive since the economy failed when I lost my job. I guess it's coming back.

This doesn't come out of the blue--I spoke to him (and a temp company that works with them) about three weeks ago. They were hiring more people, and the HR guy told me I was one of those who would be "welcomed back." It was really a matter of time, we just didn't know when. Plus, it wasn't a sure thing, either.

It's a contractor position just like before. I'll be working through a temp service, and the period is only maybe six months, subject to change.

And it pays a dollar more than I was making last time. Hot damn!

Meanwhile, I've been very aggressivly trying to get my dream job, that of photographing products and writing catalog copy for a local specialty plumbing supply company. That would be an awesome job, and over the past three weeks I've taken several measures for them to notice me and want to hire me. I think there's a good chance, but there's no guarantee there.

Anyway, it's been a nice nineteen month ride. Now it's time to put the baby in day care, so that's gonna really suck. But we picked out a nice one, so it'll be an adjustment.

Anyhow, I had to share the news with all the great AWers I've known for so long. God, you guys have been my constant companion since I lost my job! (Besides, the baby, I mean)

CACTUSWENDY
08-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Wow...it's been 19 already? That went fast. :D

Kateness
08-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Congrats! Hope getting the dream job happens, too

Well, with all the AWers getting jobs, surely it's my turn soon. Right? I'm at 15 months and counting.

DeleyanLee
08-06-2010, 09:11 PM
WHOOT! I'm so happy for you. Hope this is a start to making the rest of it come true.

regdog
08-06-2010, 09:19 PM
:partyguy::hooray:

MacAllister
08-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Oh, Alan! Congratulations!

heyjude
08-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Congratulations on the job! And I really hope you get the Dream Job. :)

Jean Marie
08-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Wow...it's been 19 already? That went fast. :D
Yeah, the older you get that happens. Why is that?

Congrats, Alan! I'm thrilled for you. The little one will be fine, too. I do hope it works out for on the photo job. That sounds pretty darn cool.

underthecity
08-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Hope getting the dream job happens, too.
Well, today's certainly been one of those days. I got offered the position at my old job, and . . .

I just got an email from the other job I've been aggressively working to get, and after everything I did to convince them that I was the right person and that I really wanted the job--

they emailed me a standard rejection, saying "we have determined that your qualifications do not suit our specific needs at this time."

It seems so disappointing, even though I've been offered the other job. Sigh!

Ah well. At least I'll be making more. No sour grapes!

Ambrosia
08-06-2010, 11:42 PM
I am sorry you didn't get your dream job, Alan. But I am delighted you got your old job at a $1 more an hour. That is awesome. I hope a new dream job appears that you do get. Congratulations! :)

Gretad08
08-07-2010, 01:18 AM
Well, today's certainly been one of those days. I got offered the position at my old job, and . . .

I just got an email from the other job I've been aggressively working to get, and after everything I did to convince them that I was the right person and that I really wanted the job--

they emailed me a standard rejection, saying "we have determined that your qualifications do not suit our specific needs at this time."

It seems so disappointing, even though I've been offered the other job. Sigh!

Ah well. At least I'll be making more. No sour grapes!

AHA! There's a reason you didn't get the dream job...something better is lurking in the shadows waiting for just the right moment :)

Congrats!

backslashbaby
08-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Congratulations!! Maybe you'll still get your dream job, too. Keep an eye on that job market.

Yeshanu
08-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Glad you're back to work, Allen. Wo0t on the raise! And keep looking for that dream job--it's out there.

(And keep on writing...)