Etiquette to request status on a rewrite submission

Debeucci

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wesleychu.com
So, I queried an agent, he liked the manuscript but wanted half of it rewritten. Typical story I'm sure. I slaved away for 4 months on a 200 page rewrite and I resubmitted it to him about two weeks ago. In terms of rewrite submissions, what is the proper etiquette to request an update?I admit I was a bit spoiled by the entire process. He answered my query the day I submitted and asked for a 2 week exclusive. I gave him the exclusive and 2 weeks later, gave me his rewrite request.Now, this time around, I did not get a date. Should I wait the 2 weeks? Wait a month? Two? I would think a rewrite would be answered sooner since the agent obviously had some sort of interest in nit. However, I know my agent is probably very busy and do not want to pester him.How long should I wait?

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Don't assume anything. Just email him and ask. It's that simple, really. If your email is short and polite and it takes him less than a minute to read and respond, he's not going to be annoyed.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
200 pages?

Etiquette for a partial is 3 months, a full 6 months.

Personally, because they've been fast, I doubt you'll have to wait more than three months. But if you nudge too soon, it makes you look like a pain.

Relax. This is good news. Now, continue writing, querying and everything else. Do not sit around and wait. Move forward, business as usual.

:)