Status
Not open for further replies.

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
So I've read all about how important it is to build up your platform and all that, but dang! these interviews are getting obnoxious! Would it be too horribly awful to just say no??

It seems so strange to say this after so long of trying to build publicity for our journey, but all of a sudden the international press has jumped on board and every single day I get requests for more interviews. I really don't mind doing them, but it's getting hard to schedule them in. Just this morning, we made the decision to work our traveling around an interview with the BBC on Monday - I can't but think they should be working around us!

So - those of you with more know-how and experience in this arena (we have NONE!), how should we handle this?

(For those of you who don't know, we are cycling from Alaska to Argentina with our children - 18,000 miles in nearly 3 years. We're in Bolivia right now)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what advice to give you, but I want to say I love what you're doing and wish you all the best on your journey. Can't wait to read all about it!!

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I say you should require that they ride along side you while they talk to you. That should take care of everyone's priorities.

Seriously, you could decide what level of exposure works without disrupting your trip. You should be able to exert at least some control to prevent it from becoming a burden. If they want to talk to you on Monday, but Tuesday or Wednesday will work better for your schedule, say so. I can't believe that your trip is the kind of news that needs to be reported on a particular day--a couple of days later won't make any difference.

Another option is to set a single day when you will accept interviews. Let those interested sign up for a time slot on that day.

And a third option: have a press release, statement ready that's up to date. If you get a request for an interview that you can't schedule, send them the release.

Fourth: tell them to send their questions by e-mail and you'll respond in kind.

Best of luck! Like Mark Twain said about whiskey, too much publicity is just enough.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
Like Mark Twain said about whiskey, too much publicity is just enough.

True!

What I've been doing lately is saying, "We plan to arrive in Potosi around August 15 and will stay there a few days. We would be happy to interview with you at that time." That has worked for a few of them, but some are very insistent.

When BBC first wrote and asked about Monday morning I wrote back and explained that we would be on the road - we could either do it once we get to Potosi on the 15th or I could do it today. They wrote back that their interviewer is only available on Monday and is there any way we could arrange it??? We altered our plans to accomodate.

We were willing to do that for the BBC - I mean, it's the BBC. If someone else asked the same thing, I think we would just put them off til we get to Potosi - but I don't know. I feel like we have the opportunity for major international press right now and we should take advantage of it. But dang - why did this come when we are in Bolivia of all places!?!?! We will be going weeks without internet access here!

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, requiring an interviewer to ride alongside you might be a great idea. I can see that interview ending up on NPR. ;)

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
One reporter in Mexico actually did that! He rode about 5 miles with us and we were miked up while we rode. I never saw the interview, but I'm sure it turned out great - they had cameras up on bridges when we passed under and a truck following us. It was a really fun day!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
No question that publicity (interviews and such) are critical for you, and I'm sure you know this. The more the better. However, IMO they shouldn't interfere with your riding goals and accemplishments. So, given special circumstances you might be better off tell the interviewer that you can't do an interview on such and such a date but would be available on such and such a date. Also, ans I don't know if this is possible, you might schedular particular int2erviews on time using some type of
satellite, computer, or telephone means.

The one thing I will say is that these interviews and such will prove extra special to you when it come time to try and sell your book. They not only display international interest, but a wide and diverse variety of same.

Idle thought.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
You've just confirmed exactly what we are feeling Scope! We want the publicity, but don't want it to mess with our journey! I think I'll stick to scheduling a few days and tell people we will be happy to do interviews on those days only - or we will do an email interview whenever we can fit it in.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
First off, HI.....:hi:

I would think that unless they are $$$$supporting you, then they should work around your time. You have places to go and people to see. Let them work you into theirs. But, this is only my two cents.

Sure is good 'seeing' you. :snoopy:

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
Thanks darling!! I really should come back here and hang out some more -but time is so limited.

I feel the same, but in a way they are supporting us - by getting the story out it makes it that much more likely to get a book. But still...

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you've gotten some good advice, Nancy. I just stopped by to wave hello! Love the updates and I'm sure we'll see you around here plenty when you're writing the book.

Travel safe!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I feel the same, but in a way they are supporting us - by getting the story out it makes it that much more likely to get a book. But still...
I'd be willing to be a little more accommodating to the BBC than the local news station, but I agree with the others. The news people will push for their convenience. You can push back. If you feel that they won't do the interview if they can't have it when they want it, and you do want the interview with them, then bend. But push first, bend second. ;)

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
We are asked the exact same questions in every interview - I've got my answers down pat! I don't mind that part, but when you've got a huge line of people wanting to interview you and each one takes an hour or more and you want to make some progress toward the southern tip of the world, it's a hassle!

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Are you serious? What should we say?

In ultimate answer to your question - if it's an inconvenience - make 'em pay for your time, if not- there's no prob.

as for what to say - you have a schedule, any distraction from that costs you - more time on the road, finding alternative accom - whatever. You have to be compensated.

however it's really a non-issue.
If interviews are a hassle, either say no, or get paid for your time.
but if there are integral to your objective - then they are integral to your objective. end of.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
Hmmm.... interesting thoughts. GEnerally I don't mind doing them and I figure the international exposure won't hurt. But there are times when it gets to be a hassle - and I have a feeling we'll be getting more requests once the Parade article comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.