Man kills seventeen month old infant.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
RIVERSIDE, N.Y. (WPIX) - A man is accused of fatally striking a 17-month-old infant he was babysitting Sunday night on the Shinnecock Indian Reservation on Long Island, according to New York State police.

The suspect has been identified as Pedro Jones, 20, of South Hampton. He has been charged with first-degree manslaughter after allegedly hitting the boy "several times throughout his body with close fists" and grabbed him by the neck, according to the felony complaint filed by police.

Authorities say Jones also told them, "I was trying to make him act like a boy instead of a little girl. I never struck that kid that hard before."
http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-riverside-babysitter-charged,0,1999838.story

This story is just sickening. Though I'm not sure what I hate more. What he did or why he did it.

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
I hate seeing articles like this. They prove just how fucked up people can be.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Sorry to say, but this sort of thing is actually not uncommon. For example, I'm currently slated to testify in one murder trial and one assault trial, both concerning toddlers. That's about typical. I have PICU colleagues in other places who have to do it much more frequently.

kaitiepaige17

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to say, but this sort of thing is actually not uncommon. For example, I'm currently slated to testify in one murder trial and one assault trial, both concerning toddlers. That's about typical. I have PICU colleagues in other places who have to do it much more frequently.

Oh I know. One night I turned on the news and saw a guy I went to high school with killed his girlfriend's baby. He claimed he had a seizure while he was holding the baby and slammed his head against a bed's headboard. Lie. This guy was a horrible bully at school, always harassing my fiance on the football field when they played together (much more than the usual, fun way guys do) so we weren't surprised....

thewakingself

Plays with fire.
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes, kaitiepaige. That's senseless and awful, too.

What the fuck is wrong with these people? Such a waste of skin.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
it's that old tradition that says you're not a man until you've pummeled your first baby to death.

kaitiepaige17

Registered
Reaction score
Yikes, kaitiepaige. That's senseless and awful, too.

What the fuck is wrong with these people? Such a waste of skin.

Oh I know. I just don't understand it. I know many if not all of the people who do these things are deeply disturbed, so they need HELP. SOMEONE needs to step up and acknowledge that something is wrong with them so these things can be prevented.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
CG, it's not only horrifying for the baby and family, but also for people like you who have to deal with the aftermath. So much sadness spread out for everyone to share because of one heartless SOB.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
To be fair there are a couple recognized alternatives. Like hitting your girlfriend or killing an animal.

My husband's football coach used to tell them during bad games "If you guys don't straighten up I'll have to go home and beat my wife and kick my dog."

Last edited:

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Police said Jones, who is not a member of the Shinnecock nation but lives on the reservation, is the boyfriend of the baby's mother.
This has so often been the case in these kinds of stories that I've developed a theory: there may be some primal drive to kill the unrelated infant offspring of a new mate. I'm not excusing this human stain, and I know plenty of men who stepped in and did an admirable job taking over the fathering role where the bio-dad had failed.

But it just seems like nearly every time a baby is beaten to death, the culprit is mom's new boyfriend.

His statement about wanting the baby to act like a boy is sickening.

Last edited:

kaitiepaige17

Registered
Reaction score
This has so often been the case in these kinds of stories that I've developed a theory: there may be some primal drive to kill the unrelated infant offspring of a new mate. I'm not excusing this human stain, and I know plenty of men who stepped in and did an admiral job taking over the fathering role where the bio-dad had failed.

But it just seems like nearly every time a baby is beaten to death, the culprit is mom's new boyfriend.

That is a scary thought. Shows that too many men have to prove that they're the alpha dick, no matter what it takes.

Not sayin' that's all men :D

thewakingself

Plays with fire.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I know. I just don't understand it. I know many if not all of the people who do these things are deeply disturbed, so they need HELP. SOMEONE needs to step up and acknowledge that something is wrong with them so these things can be prevented.

Agreed. What's sad is that some of these people just don't want help. Or even realize they need it. They'll blame everything but themselves for being such evil assholes. Like the guy in the OP, blaming the kid. Not to mention that his quote makes it sound like this isn't the first time he hit the child. It's just the first time he got caught.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Its another one of those traits that we really need to get rid of. Right up there with blind obedience to "higher authority."

kaitiepaige17

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. What's sad is that some of these people just don't want help. Or even realize they need it. They'll blame everything but themselves for being such evil assholes. Like the guy in the OP, blaming the kid. Not to mention that his quote makes it sound like this isn't the first time he hit the child. It's just the first time he got caught.

Yep. There are a few people I know who have violent tenancies, but they think everyone except them is wrong. Those are the hardest people to deal with: the ones who won't accept they have a serious problem.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
CG, it's not only horrifying for the baby and family, but also for people like you who have to deal with the aftermath. So much sadness spread out for everyone to share because of one heartless SOB.

It's not my favorite part of my job. But it works out I rarely have to testify -- nearly all the time there is a plea bargain of some sort, often just before the trial is to start.

The most unsettling aspect of abuse cases for me is when I know abuse has happened, and probably who did it, yet I have to interview everybody involved while keeping a calm, nonthreatening demeanor. If you come across as hostile or upset yourself you won't get the story. The law enforcement folks get involved quite early in these cases, of course, and nearly all the ones I've dealt with over 3 decades are quite skilled at doing this. Larger cities have officers who do little else but this.

For me, I'm interested in all aspects of humanity, which in spite of tragedies like these, I continue to regard as fundamentally good. Of course we help victims as best we can and do what we can to see justice served. But I find the often tortured life stories of the perpetrators also tragic in their own ways. If you would follow me around for a year I predict you would lose some of your certainties in judgment about your fellow humans.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I found this part of his quote particularly disturbing: "I never struck that kid that hard before."

So, it's not that he hadn't struck him before, or that he hadn't struck him hard before, but he just hadn't struck him hard enough to kill him before.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
And so many times the mother of the abuser, after killing someone, says, 'He was such a good boy. I just don't understand it.' I can't believe the mothers can be this blind. I sure know the bad areas of my kids. They are not and never were angels.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
This has so often been the case in these kinds of stories that I've developed a theory: there may be some primal drive to kill the unrelated infant offspring of a new mate. I'm not excusing this human stain, and I know plenty of men who stepped in and did an admirable job taking over the fathering role where the bio-dad had failed.

It happens in other species. Why not ours?

Of course, most modern men are capable of higher thought and emotion, and both respect and protect life, not just their own genes.

Regressives like the shitbag in the article should be removed from the gene pool, IMO.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score

But I've also read that a time a girlfriend or wife is most vulnerable to abuse is when she's carrying a man's child. His OWN child.

So...what's up with that?

ETA: Ah, here it is: Murder is the leading cause of death in pregnant women.

Last edited: