Federal Office Shoots Dog in Dog Park

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
This is a sad story that's getting a lot of air play in Baltimore now. People aren't just upset that a dog was shot. They are upset that a federal officer did it and most likely will get away with it.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...r-dog-fight-shooting-20100803,0,7786058.story

A man was walking his sister's Siberian husky, Bear-Bear, in a dog park near his sister's house. Yes, Bear-Bear was off his leash, but that's allowed in this dog park. (It was within a fenced-off area.) Bear-Bear was three years old and known to many of the residents. There had never been any problems with this dog, who was a rescue husky but was also very loving according to all reports.

Then they encountered someone new -- a federal police officer who was new to the area. The fed (who was there with his wife) was walking his German Shepherd on a leash. When the dogs started to play rough, the fed asked the dog-walker to call off the dog. But before the walker could respond, the officer pulled a gun and shot Bear-Bear in the abdomen. According to what I heard on the radio this afternoon, he said it would be fine because he had only shot the dog in the "rear." It seems he is a lousy shot or has lousy vision. :( Bear-Bear died hours later. (Oh by the way, if what I heard on the radio is true, he used hollow point bullets, so the husky didn't have a chance.)

This incident has the community in an uproar. They've never had problems with confrontations in this dog park -- owners know how to follow the rules. OTOH the shooter was new to the area. Other dog owners have come to the defense of Bear-Bear, pointing out that the husky was always well behaved and didn't even bark or growl. (Yes, he played rough, but the owner explained that huskies do that. You would play rough, too, if you were strong enough to tow sleds in Alaska.)

On top of that, the dog's owner encountered even more trouble whens he tried to get something done. The shooter was reportedly uncooperative, and the county police don't want to do anything. They aren't pressing charges. They aren't even naming the shooter. Animal control didn't want to get involved because the dogs didn't show any signs of having been in a fight -- so it seems they really were just "playing rough."

I know that when an animal is killed or hurt in this way, some people say they don't care because it was an animal, not a human. But if this guy pulled out a gun and pulled the trigger because two dogs were playing rough, what could he do under a real crisis? :( I understand that it can be nerve-wracking to see dogs "play rough." I'm sure my first response would be "Holy shit! Leave my dog alone!" But I think my second response would be "Let me get my dog out of this" or "Let me get the other owner to help" or something. Not "I know, I'll just pull my gun and shoot the dog!"

Also, at least one local talk show host saw another layer to the story. He is using this as an example of yet another federal law enforcement officer who will probably get away scot free. For example, in 2002, again in Maryland, an innocent man was shot in the face by FBI agents who thought he might be a suspect in a bank robbery. Yet again, the identity of the shooter was not released, and little, if anything, happened to the shooter.

Last edited:

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolynwoulfe.livejournal.com
That is incredibly sad and it makes me very angry. The thought of that federal cop being allowed to walk around with a gun - with hollow points - is terrifying. So many things wrong here. It's just crazy.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone shooting a dog with a HP bullet that isn't being attacked by fucking Cujo has something wrong in their brain.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
What ever happened to a greater duty for the greater title?

Edit: Anything come of the investigation of the scout who was shot?

Last edited:

Pamvhv

Sipper of Mojitos
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookalicio.us
Please keep us who do not live in the area updated. What a sad excuse for a human. He could have given the owner of the Husky time to call his dog off.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
In my country, a Federal agent would not normally carry a handgun when off-duty (which he presumably was, since he was walking his dog). If he did discharge his service weapon, it would normally be considered on-duty, and he'd have to defend that use under the handgun use policy of his organisation -- which would probably view the matter dimly. He mightn't get charged, but his duties could well be reassigned.

I suspect though that things are different in the US. A private citizen discharging his weapon at an animal might skate in numerous ways -- especially if his "property" could be argued as being in jeapordy.

This seems to me an example of a situation that better handgun regulation could have averted, while no handgun liberalisation could have prevented.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm impressed that the guy walking Bear-Bear didn't attack the officer. I'm generally not a violent person, but if someone shot an animal I was close to right in front of me, I'd probably try to beat them to death, or die trying.

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
"Revenge is mine sayeth The Lord."

He'll get his.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
When vigilante justice finally breaks out, everybody's going to be shocked that such a thing could happen here. After all, we're a classless society, and no one is above the law, which is applied equally to all. Right?

The county police are colluding with a federal officer to cover up and ignore a crime.

The officer's lucky in the choice of dog owners he decided to terrorize. Some owners might bite back.

Last edited:

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
OK ... if that happened to me and the local police wouldn't do anything I'd start hassling my MP - so would hassling the mans Senator be an option? I also don't think that the 'man' who shot the dog should have any job that calls for him to interact with any living creature. There is no excuse for what he did - he should be a highly trained individual and not a barmpot who pulls his gun and shots at the first opportunity.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
The guy was a jackass, no argument. But - just as a point of clarification - he had hollow points in his gun for a good reason. If he had to shoot a deserving person with others in the line of fire, the hollow point will stay inside the target and not go straight through it and into the innocent person beyond it. They're made for self-defense, too - I have them in my CC gun as well as my home weapon. If I have to shoot someone in the doorway to my bedroom and miss, the bullet won't go through four of my house walls and shoot my neighbors in their bed.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
That is so sad. I can't imagine someone being so cold-blooded as this FBI Agent. What must his wife think? I can't imagine that anyone would think what he did was okay. I hope he does get his. And I hope he suffers in some way for what he did.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
His gang of thugs are the thugs in charge, no problems for him. It must feel good to be in a gang like that. Do whatever you like. No consequences. Awesome. Sure, a few people will be mad for a little while. But, some celebrity will die or have an affair and the people will forget. Control of the worthless population is too easy. I despise our overlords, but I think I despise our people too. A shame about the dog too.

Woof

Outward Hound
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
This story enrages and disgusts me. I regularly bring my dog to a leash-free dog park where rough play is natural. If a dog becomes too aggressive, its owner almost always steps in and diffuses the situation. And where I live, if a psycho with a gun--whether he was a police officer or not, were to shoot and kill a dog without justification, he would be arrested and charged, which is what should happen to this psycho.

I can't imagine what hell the owner of the husky is going through as a result of this wanton killing. Yeah, I'm not a violent person, but if it were my dog I probably would have tried to kill the bastard.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
When vigilante justice finally breaks out, everybody's going to be shocked that such a thing could happen here. After all, we're a classless society, and no one is above the law, which is applied equally to all. Right?

The county police are colluding with a federal officer to cover up and ignore a crime.

The officer's lucky in the choice of dog owners he decided to terrorize. Some owners might bite back.
You've got it all wrong, Don.

This incident is evidence of what can happen when people walk around town carrying guns. The guy's a federal officer, sure. But why did he have his gun with him? He didn't "terrorize" anyone. He merely over-reacted to a situation and had a gun handy to aid in his over-reaction. If he'd left it at home or in his trunk...

thewakingself

Plays with fire.
Registered
Reaction score
How sad. I take my big, goofy pointer to the leashless parks all the time, and it never crossed my mind someone might shoot him. And good grief--what if the officer had somehow missed his shot? It's not unusual for dog owners to bring their kids to the parks, too. Just horrible, all around.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I hate that it's another case of an LE person acting as if they can use any force they feel like any time they want. I know there are many more 'good cops' than bad, absolutely. But why do we allow the system to handle these cases so lightly, coverup things?

He should be charged the same as anyone else would be. There should be even more scrutiny because he's part of law enforcement. They are expected to have more ability to make proper decisions than your average Joe.

I don't know how this would be handled with an average citizen, actually. If he argued that he thought it was a real fight, is he allowed to shoot the dog? One would hope it would have to be a real fight, and even then (aggressive breed) dog folks know it can be broken up fine in 99% of cases.

Last edited:

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
You've got it all wrong, Don.

This incident is evidence of what can happen when people walk around town carrying guns. The guy's a federal officer, sure. But why did he have his gun with him? He didn't "terrorize" anyone. He merely over-reacted to a situation and had a gun handy to aid in his over-reaction. If he'd left it at home or in his trunk...

Rob, I think the point Don was trying to make was that we are supposed to be a nation where all the laws apply equally to all the people. And as soon as some laws only apply to some people but not to others, that's when the rest of the populace will start to lose confidence in the laws. And if it continues to be the case, people will even start to ignore the laws entirely.

How can we feel safe is we are convinced that our laws have neither meaning nor teeth?

A nation full of fear is a nation full of instability.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I'm gonna take a wild stab at a couple of theories.

1) That officer is quite simply a complete jerk. A gun-toting fool trying to compensate for some lack in his life.
2) That officer is scared at the moment. He was threatened recently by a perpetrator and he is afraid of being attacked out in public. So he's on edge, and carrying his weapon out in public. So he's not thinking straight and is trigger happy.
3) He JUST got reassigned from some place else. He screwed up big time at a different postion somewhere else, so they reassigned him to Baltimore, and now he has screwed up yet again.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
What ever happened to a greater duty for the greater title?

Edit: Anything come of the investigation of the scout who was shot?
There is more about the case Schultz and his girlfriend filed here:
http://cases.justia.com/us-court-of-appeals/F3/455/470/569594/

I don't know what came out of it. It's hard to search for a man whose name is so close to that of a deceased catcher. :)

In my country, a Federal agent would not normally carry a handgun when off-duty (which he presumably was, since he was walking his dog). If he did discharge his service weapon, it would normally be considered on-duty, and he'd have to defend that use under the handgun use policy of his organisation -- which would probably view the matter dimly. He mightn't get charged, but his duties could well be reassigned.
From what I heard on the radio, it turns out it wasn't his service revolver, but a personal weapon. No one was sure if he had the right to carry it in Maryland. Probably not as Maryland has strict laws about concealed carry, etc. (Sometimes resulting in controversial cases.) But how cases are handled varies.

Anyway, there's an update. The case has been reopened, thanks to public pressure. (After the article appeared in the paper and on radio and TV, people called the County Executive. :)) The federal officer (not an FBI agent but a civilian police officer at Fort Meyers in Virginia had been on vacation (I think) and went back to work, but he has since been put on administrative leave. As of last night's memorial, no charges had been filed, but that may change.

He now has a lawyer, who made a statement that his client acted because he was in fear for his life and that of his dog. He also claimed the owner didn't do anything to contro his dog. (Perhaps he was scared when he saw a gun being drawn?) Jeez. My father has been approached by aggressive dogs when walking a family member's dog. He handled the situation by using mace or pepper spray -- he barely sprayed them with it, and they ran off because of the smell. He felt bad for doing that, even though it was to keep them away from both himself and my brother's dog.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
How horrifying. That poor family who lost their loving companion. Tragic. I wonder what would have happened if it were kids instead of dogs and this fuckwadidiotpsychopath asked the parents to please tell their kid to get off his kid at the playground. not fast enough...bang, your kid is dead. what a fuckhead.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect though that things are different in the US. A private citizen discharging his weapon at an animal might skate in numerous ways -- especially if his "property" could be argued as being in jeapordy.
You rights end where mine begins, and that applies to property as well. One does not get to destroy another's property because of a perceived threat to their own property.

There's too much unasked here to not press any charges.

This seems to me an example of a situation that better handgun regulation could have averted, while no handgun liberalisation could have prevented.
Handgun regulations in the US typically don't apply (or are different) for law enforcement agents. It's one of the arguments for all the controls and limitations for private citizens -that trained and certified people are out there with guns, so no one else should need them (not that everyone agrees with that point).

In reality, most places in the US require any agent to justify discharging their weapon, especially off duty. In this case, there's some jurisdictional issues - a Federal agent possibly violated local gun laws. I can see why the locals might not want to cross the higher agency, but it really shouldn't matter. An animal was killed in a public, non-life-threatening situation.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
It's sad, I small civil lawsuit will hardly compensate the owners for their loss. America has a love affair for the gun that far super-cedes it's love for pets.

In addition, our nations respect for Law enforcement officers, is being whittled away by the actions of idiots who justify their actions as part of their authority.

Who can you trust? Not to shoot you. In America... The name of my next book....