Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
The Other Side of Shirley Sherrod

By RON WILKINS

Imagine farm workers doing back breaking labor in the sweltering sun, sprayed with pesticides and paid less than minimum wage. Imagine the United Farm Workers called in to defend these laborers against such exploitation by management. Now imagine that the farm workers are black children and adults and that the managers are Shirley Sherrod, her husband Rev. Charles Sherrod, and a host of others. But it’s no illusion; this is fact.

The swirling controversy over the racist dismissal of Shirley Sherrod from her USDA post has obscured her profoundly oppositional behavior toward black agricultural workers in the 1970s. What most of Mrs. Sherrod’s supporters are not aware of is the elitist and anti-black-labor role that she and fellow managers of New Communities Inc. (NCI) played. These individuals under-paid, mistreated and fired black laborers–many of them less than 16 years of age–in the same fields of southwest Georgia where their ancestors suffered under chattel slavery.

When I first noticed the story of her firing and the association of Shirley Sherrod’s name with the rural black poor and concern for “black land-loss”, I wondered if the person being praised was the same Shirley Sherrod whom I knew. One piece posted on the July 23rd Alternet and captioned “Shirley Sherrod and the black Land Struggle” even claimed that she “devoted her entire life to economic justice”. The mistreatment of black workers at NCI under the Sherrods is a matter of record that contradicts this claim.

http://www.counterpunch.org/wilkins08022010.html

more about ron wilkins:

http://www.csudh.edu/Africana/Faculty/Wilkins.asp

Ron Wilkins is a former organizer in the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. In 1974, under an assumed name, he hired-on at New Communities Inc. The Emergency Land Fund, an Atlanta-based black land retention organization, which shared oversight responsibility for NCI’s progress, wanted to know the basis for NCI’s continued poor performance. The author’s secondary purpose was to develop agricultural skills. For his role in organizing NCI’s workers, management eventually fired him from his $40 per week position, evicted him from the rent-free shack on NCI property and orchestrated his arrest, on bogus charges, by FBI agents and Lee County, Georgia Sheriff’s deputies in the midst of an NCI labor protest. The charges were later dropped. Presently he is an Africana Studies professor at California State University, Dominguez Hills. He can be reached at: [email protected]

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
I don't see this as "the other side," however, but "another side."

Stories tend to get more complex as you dig up individual characters' pasts. I too am interested what people find this tidbit significant of, wrt her most recent role in that manufactured story which cost her her job ...

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
The first question that springs to mind is whether that's how many farm workers were -- and are -- treated. The author keeps mentioning Black, but I know there are many reasons that we have so many illegals coming in for our farm jobs here. Other lines of work have more rights, so citizens usually avoid farm work.

I don't agree with that. I can see different exceptions making sense, like for your 14-year-old to work your own farm, etc, but I believe it's been out of hand for a good while.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Just want to get the timeline straight on this whole thing, as I am way the hell over here in Merrie Olde England.

1. GOP attack-hack Andrew Breitbart breaks a story that claims undercover reporter dressed as over-the-top stereotypical pimp showed up at ACORN and was given advice about how best to avoid taxes, law enforcement etc. while running child prostitutes.
2. Knee-jerk reaction from media, politicians eventually leads to ACORN closing its doors.
3. Turns out that undercover videos were heavily and selectively edited to cast ACORN in the worst possible light; undercover reporters weren't dressed as pimp, ho; investigation concludes ACORN employees didn't do anything wrong.
4. Professional deceptive shitbag Andrew Breitbart prospers, gloats.
5. Pseudo-pimp from ACORN sting caught attempting Watergate-style bugging operation aimed at Sen. Mary Landrieu.
6. NAACP suggests that Tea Party activists have a record of carrying around blatantly racist signs.
7. Prominent Tea Party activist responds with unbelievably tone-deaf, unfunny 'satire' (the 'Precious Ben Jealous' letter) that is itself blatantly racist; accuses NAACP of being the real racists.
8. Dirty-tricks dickhead Andrew Breitbart releases selectively-edited video that purports to show relatively unknown Shirley Sherrod saying things that are racist.
9. Knee-jerk reaction from media, politicians results in Sherrod losing her job.
10. On viewing unedited video, turns out that Sherrod's remarks were not racist, were in fact laudable, noncontroversial; Sherrod apologised to, given job back.
11. Lying scumbucket Andrew Breitbart continues to gloat, prosper..
12. Extensive quote-mining / muck-raking operation goes into effect looking for anything bad to say about relative non-entity Shirley Sherrod in order to somehow support the contention that the worst racism in America is perpetrated by the NAACP.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that looks about right, imho.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
not sure if he's reliable or not.

if he's lying, perhaps she could add him to her defamation/libel suit, yes?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
12. Extensive quote-mining / muck-raking operation goes into effect looking for anything bad to say about relative non-entity Shirley Sherrod in order to somehow support the contention that the worst racism in America is perpetrated by the NAACP.
Or:

12. The narrative has been written, therefore any future questions/issues are invalid as a matter of course.

So let it be written, so let it be done!

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
not sure if he's reliable or not.

if he's lying, perhaps she could add him to her defamation/libel suit, yes?
I saw nothing in the article except undocumented allegations, based on his experiences forty years ago -- at a time when he was a SNCC member, associate of H. Rap Brown, dedicated to the idea that any black person trying to work within the system was a traitor and Uncle Tom.

Ordinarily you'd be all over this guy.

But thank you for bringing this important expose to our attention.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw nothing in the article except undocumented allegations, based on his experiences forty years ago -- at a time when he was a SNCC member, associate of H. Rap Brown, dedicated to the idea that any black person trying to work within the system was a traitor and Uncle Tom.

Ordinarily you'd be all over this guy.

But thank you for bringing this important expose to our attention.

(Andrew) Breitbart is rapidly perfecting the 21st-century mau-mau: Conservative white people are so afraid of being discriminated against that if you mention the fact that sometimes black people don't like white people—even if you are telling a story about why racism is bad—you are automatically committing a hate crime against white conservatives. After three or four decades of whining about reverse racism, America now has achieved full-blown white victimology. The most powerful and dangerous groups in the nation are ACORN and the New Black Panther Party.

By 2013, Andrew Breitbart will be stuffing himself inside a trash bag, smearing himself with feces, and scrawling "honky" on his body.

~ Tom Scocca/SLATE
:nothing

Last edited: