PDA

View Full Version : Edward VI.

maggi90w1
08-05-2010, 03:45 AM
The young king Edward will make an appearance in my Middle Grade Novel (WIP).
There's not much information around about Edward. Not the kind if information I need at least. I visited my local library, but it's tiny and I found nothing about Tudor England, let alone Edwards short reign.
I need to find out how much power Edward had after his father death. Sure he was the king, but he was so little and his advisors did most of the work.
So how much freedom had he (concerning daily life)?
Did he had any privacy?
Could he decide who could stay at court and who had to leave? (That's the most important question)
How was his relationship with his uncles? I read that he didn't liked the older one, Edward, much, but what about Thomas? How would he adress his uncles? By their first names? By their titles?

I'm thankfull for all kinds of information.

Pamvhv
08-05-2010, 03:51 AM
Thomas was his fun time uncle we all have that guy in our family that brings the funny, Edward however was the Protector and was able to make decisions for Henry's son. I have read from historian Alison Weir that Edward gave enough to the young king that he thought he was in complete control. So removal of a minor court player would be well within reach.

maggi90w1
08-05-2010, 04:01 AM
Adding people as well? Could he accommodate 6 kids in his palace? The kids are time traveling, Edward knows this. He would have to make up fake identities for them. I guess Hartford didn't knew the kids of all the minor nobles, so they might get away with it for some time.
I know this is highly hypothetical, but would it have been possible for him to keep the six kids around for a while?

Pamvhv
08-05-2010, 05:47 AM
There were always other children in the royal nurseries.

blackrose602
08-06-2010, 06:43 PM
In that era it was pretty common for noble children and heirs to be shuffled around and sent to live in other places due to betrothal, education, favors owed, and so forth. You could have a lot of fun with young Edward trying to make up backstories for the kids and teach them to comport themselves as nobles. Do some major digging into behavior expectations and skills that noble children would have, and then you have the basis for some funny scenes of the time travelers trying to remember everything.

Theo81
08-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Edward VI, like his sister Elizabeth, he was given the greatest education Europe could provide. His was passionate about the Protestent church and we forget that he was the great reformer who placed the church above all else and who laid the template for much of the structure which remains. He named his Protestent cousin (or rather, their heirs) Lady Jane Grey as his successor rather than his sister Elizabeth because he did not believe Elizabeth would go against the succession laid down by Henry VIII and did not want to risk the country returning to Catholicism; in the end, Mary and her supporters moved to take the throne following his death and beheaded Lady Jane 9 days after she was named Queen.

As I recall, Edward Seymore began Edward's rein with more power than he ended it with. His younger brother Thomas was a power grabbing nasty who attempted to gain influence at court through marriage to Henry's widow Katherine Parr and who had a questionable relationship with Elizabeth (then living in Parr's household). I think they would have been referred to by the most senior of their titles (The Duke of Norfolk, for instance, is usually known simply as Norfolk). There was a very strict protocol for addressing the Monarch directly, even as a blood relative.

I don't believe he would have had much freedom. He would most likely have been accompanied everywhere he went for his own protection.
He could have had privacy within his own chamber although there would have been people outside and he could have been spied upon.
I suspect he would have been able to summon and banish people from court; whether this happened would be another matter. Edward's information would have come filtered through his advisors.

David Starkey's Elizabeth is very good and concerns iteself mainly with Elizabeth's early life (much of which was spent with Edward) and has a lot to say about the shift in power after Henry's death including the the details of the Seymore bros.

Edward may have been young, but he was better educated than many a college graduate. He would have thought of something. ;)

Tsu Dho Nimh
08-07-2010, 11:01 PM
The time-travelers could be disguised as minstrels or something, but the nobility was a fairly tight-knight group.

And court gossips knew everything.

WendyNYC
08-08-2010, 03:40 AM
Sistermorphine (an AWer) is an expert in Tudor history, if she's still around. You might try to PM her, although I know her life got busy for a while.

maggi90w1
08-17-2010, 02:38 PM
The time-travelers could be disguised as minstrels or something, but the nobility was a fairly tight-knight group.

And court gossips knew everything.

Would disguising them as foreign nobles sound more realsitic? The Lord Protector could/should find out the truth later on, but could he be fooled for a while if Edward would claim something like "this is the 4th son of the French Baron of XYZ"?

Paul
08-17-2010, 02:51 PM
In that era it was pretty common for noble children and heirs to be shuffled around and sent to live in other places due to betrothal, education, favors owed, and so forth. You could have a lot of fun with young Edward trying to make up backstories for the kids and teach them to comport themselves as nobles. Do some major digging into behavior expectations and skills that noble children would have, and then you have the basis for some funny scenes of the time travelers trying to remember everything.

Yeah, I like that.

Posting here for future ease of access. ( to remember the names To81 and Sistermorphine) cos I'm working a little on that era myself. :)