Synopsis question

Kyrie

Queen of Adverbs (unfortunately)
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm working on writing a synopsis for my epistolary novel, Letters to Oliver. I was wondering if it would be better and clearer to present it as a more traditional narrative in the synopsis, just because I think going back and forth from letter to letter would get very long and confusing.

But, on the other hand, I don't know if that would be misleading, as the whole book is written in letters. So, should the synopsis reflect that through more than just the occasional reference?

Thank you!

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
A synopsis is concerned with the narrative flow of the plot. It is not concerned with how you structured to book to tell your story. A synopsis doesn't care whether you used letters, emails, multiple POVs, going back and forward in time, or whatever else you used. That's what the writing sample is for.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Right. A synopsis isn't going to be incredibly interesting or a literary marvel. It's functional. Just focus on getting plot points out there and giving an idea of how the novel flows. You'll have plenty of other places to say it's epistolary--and likely, they would read the writing along with the synopsis. It's just so they have an idea of where the story goes, so they know it's worth their time.

Kyrie

Queen of Adverbs (unfortunately)
Registered
Reaction score
All right. I just wanted to double-check my logic. Thanks!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Coincidentally, Nicola Morgan (a multi-published, prizewinning author) blogged about this today.

She really knows her stuff (and yes, she's a friend of mine, but don't let that put you off).