The Sexy Vampire challenge

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Why do almost all vampires in the last few years have to have a sexually hedonistic lifestyle? Yes, yes, I know the modern vampire myths contain a lot of sexual tension but I would love to see one where the vampire in question sits back and doesn't engage in all the flirting and sex. Not that he doesn't want to. He knows that he can get a little action when he wants it. It's just that he doesn't feel the need to indulge to prove his own prowess. Same thing with a female vampire.

I'd like to see something subtle, understated.

Last edited:

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
where's the fun in that? :D

in all seriousness though, I think a lot of vampiric allure has to do with the sexual. Not just in the last few years, but, well, pretty much always.

Think of the silent vamp films of the 20s. He silently creeps into the young, beautiful virgin's bedroom, where she lies sleeping the dreams of the innocent...

If I'm honest I think it's a part of what draws people to the genre.

That being said, I think there are already characters that you mention, they're simply not as well known. Bill from trueblood isn't all, look at me, I can shag anything that moves.

I do get what you're driving at but you don't want a character so understated that he or she loses a part of the 'otherworldly' ness

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I have no problems with the vampiric allure being partially or even mostly about the sexual. I want something more.... sensual. And I'm not looking for understated than I am for not having the vamp walking into the room and all the members of the opposite sex (and even some of the same sex) start throwing themselves at him or her for a romp between the sheets. I want it where people know s/he walks into the room but are able to keep their clothes on.

And yeah, I know there are examples, like the series The Kindred where the Prince of the City had people always keeping part of their attention on what he's doing when he's in the room but not a harem ready to strip nekkid at the first sign of interest. Yes, he was a handsome man but as much of his power came from him being a well-known and well-connected business man as the sexual allurement of him being a vampire. It's not that women weren't interested. More that there was more to his attractiveness than just sex.

Last edited: