Your Favorite Bookbag

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I'm trying to pick out a new bookbag for college, which starts in three weeks. I've already been going in for work study this summer. The two bags I have now, one was from high school and the zipper is coming apart and there is a hole between pockets.

The second one is one of those messenger bags, but it irritates the bejeezus out of my shoulder.

So I'm browsing for a new one. Any college or high school kids have a favorite bag they'd like to recommend?

I carry my lunch to the school, so it needs to be big enough for a couple of text books plus a netbook plus whatever I can smush in there for lunch.

I walk a mile and a half to get to the school so it has to be good for long distances. :) That's the problem I'm having with the messenger bag. It's awkward and hurts my shoulder after walking a mile.

spamwarrior

rewriting.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
acurrentundersea.wordpress.com
I have an L.L. Bean one. I've heard those are pricey, though. They come in various sizes. I have a middling size which has one main compartment. I think my sister has a larger size which has two big compartment, besides various compartments for pencils and other things.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
I had a big grey Targus backpack. One padded pocket for laptops, one big main pocket, two smaller front ones and two tiny side ones, plus padded shoulder-straps. Pretty good bag, pretty cheap, and it lasted for at least half a dozen years of heavy and consistent use before the zipper gave up. Even now the bag is still good if I felt like fixing the zipper. But now I use a messenger bag and/or a messenger-style laptop bag.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd definitely go for a bag made by one of the high-tech outdoor gear companies, that is designed to carry a laptop and books and such. They do the best job of creating good suspension so you don't hurt your back, being lightweight material so you don't sweat so bad, distributing the load, and not ripping. Something like REI, EMS, Gregory, Jandd, Eagle Creek, or North Face.

They're a bit pricy, but they're comfier and they last much longer than a kid's type cheaper bag. REI outlet, EMS outlet, and Sierra Trading Post are all places that have that type of stuff on clearance :)

Pamvhv

Sipper of Mojitos
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookalicio.us
Crumpler is expensive but you can probably use that same bag for the next 15 years. Very high quality.