Sewed cut on own leg, got sued by hospital

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
http://www.thelocal.se/28150/20100803/

"They had set out a needle and thread and so I decided to take the matter into my hands," he said.

But hospital staff were not as impressed by his initiative and have reported the man on suspicion of arbitrary conduct for having used hospital equipment without authorization.

Welcome to the world of publically operated hospitals where you get to wait for hours for treatment, and then get sued if you do anything to cut the line. :)

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, you take your car to the mechanic's, get tired of waiting and start using their tools to drop in your own transmission, I'm thinking they have reason to sue (risk and liability and all).

Dude couldn't have been that bad off if he was able to do the job himself. And an hour long wait in the ER isn't that bad considering it's triaged and people having heart attacks, strokes, or bleeding to death get priority.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
It is probably "egenmäktigt förfarande" which basically means that you use stuff without permission. That is a tautology of course. But "egenmäktigt förfarande" is a specific legalese term in swedish for exactly what i said: when it's not stealing, but you use something without permission.

The Local is written by expats from english speaking countries, and they don't always have the best command of swedish. Particularly when it comes to odd legal terms.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
It is probably "egenmäktigt förfarande" which basically means that you use stuff without permission. That is a tautology of course. But "egenmäktigt förfarande" is a specific legalese term in swedish for exactly what i said: when it's not stealing, but you use something without permission.

The Local is written by expats from english speaking countries, and they don't always have the best command of swedish. Particularly when it comes to odd legal terms.

Gracias, Señor. :)

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, you take your car to the mechanic's, get tired of waiting and start using their tools to drop in your own transmission, I'm thinking they have reason to sue (risk and liability and all).

Dude couldn't have been that bad off if he was able to do the job himself. And an hour long wait in the ER isn't that bad considering it's triaged and people having heart attacks, strokes, or bleeding to death get priority.

Mmmhmm. An hour is nothing. My bet is also that someone uninhibited enough to grab the wound kit might have had some other issues going on, maybe to do with too much aquavit or something, and that the hospital might have been aggravated to sue him not only because he used their stuff but also because he was a disorderly asshole (Swedish: Assholen?) with it.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Well why did they put the sewing kit right there within his reach? You'd think that they'd keep that sort of thing in a safe, sterilized place, not out in the open.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Well why did they put the sewing kit right there within his reach? You'd think that they'd keep that sort of thing in a safe, sterilized place, not out in the open.

We're discussing an adult male, not a 3 year old. It's perfectly reasonable to have this equipment out with the expectation that it's for hospital use only.

I've been left to my own devices with medical equipment before. It was difficult, but I somehow managed not to give myself any stitches.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Ah, so basically trespassing.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
We're discussing an adult male, not a 3 year old. It's perfectly reasonable to have this equipment out with the expectation that it's for hospital use only.

I've been left to my own devices with medical equipment before. It was difficult, but I somehow managed not to give myself any stitches.

You'd be stunned. I've had to stop adults from firing the saline solution at one another, I've had to chase people away from the crash cart, away from office supplies, away from the employee break room, away from the records room, especially away from the in-house pharmacy--gah!

If a kit like that was out within reach at the hospital I worked at, that meant we had already charged it to someone. Meaning that he would be stealing from another patient, and wasting a poor orderly's time trying to find out where the gorram kit went.

That said, I've seen patients get exasperated with nursing staff and start performing procedures on their own. Usually, it's charging bandages - and there's usually a big stink when this happens, because we wash our hands in triplicate, and have gloves, sometimes face masks--all for damn good reason.

Captain Self-Suture has probably given himself an infection. There's a decent chance that he'll need follow-up treatments because he chose to do this himself instead of waiting. There's also a decent chance of the infection doing bad things to him, anything from a rash that makes him rip the stitches open while scratching in his sleep, to some horrible bug that gets into a vital organ and kills him.

I'd have probably smacked him upside the head, frankly. Maybe the lawsuit will teach him a lesson.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
You'd be stunned. I've had to stop adults from firing the saline solution at one another, I've had to chase people away from the crash cart, away from office supplies, away from the employee break room, away from the records room, especially away from the in-house pharmacy--gah!

If a kit like that was out within reach at the hospital I worked at, that meant we had already charged it to someone. Meaning that he would be stealing from another patient, and wasting a poor orderly's time trying to find out where the gorram kit went.

That said, I've seen patients get exasperated with nursing staff and start performing procedures on their own. Usually, it's charging bandages - and there's usually a big stink when this happens, because we wash our hands in triplicate, and have gloves, sometimes face masks--all for damn good reason.

Captain Self-Suture has probably given himself an infection. There's a decent chance that he'll need follow-up treatments because he chose to do this himself instead of waiting. There's also a decent chance of the infection doing bad things to him, anything from a rash that makes him rip the stitches open while scratching in his sleep, to some horrible bug that gets into a vital organ and kills him.

I'd have probably smacked him upside the head, frankly. Maybe the lawsuit will teach him a lesson.

This is so unbelievable to me. I mean, of course I believe you, but I can't understand how adults, grown-ass adults, can act like that! Wow.

As for the OP, he deserves the law suit.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
This is so unbelievable to me. I mean, of course I believe you, but I can't understand how adults, grown-ass adults, can act like that! Wow.

If you ever want to study abnormal human behavior, camp out in a hospital some time. Adding stress with drugs leads to all sorts of fun.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
If you ever want to study abnormal human behavior, camp out in a hospital some time. Adding stress with drugs leads to all sorts of fun.

Leads to interesting slang, too. I once spent 3 weeks shadowing ER nurses and docs, doing research for a novel. I learned a lot that I used, and a lot that I didn't. "Crispy critters" is a mild example. "GOFER" stands for "Get out of my fucking E.R." A "shpos" was a "subhuman piece of shit." In fairness to the staff, they were working under very difficult conditions, their opinions of the patients didn't seem to affect the treatment they gave, and the only time I heard the last term used was after a patient spit in a nurse's face. Still...

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score

It's disgusting to me that people, adults, act like this and that hospital staff has to deal with it. My family and I pretty much camped out at the hospital when my Dad was there for a month and we saw some pretty goofy stuff. I don't know why, I live in a fairly nice area, but the hospital seemed to draw people insanely lacking in social skills. I'm not just talking patients, I'm talking visitors too.

This guy deserves ramifications for his actions. As I said before, he's an adult and it's reasonable to expect him to keep his hands off hospital equipment. Since he didn't, well now he's being sued.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
"Crispy critters" is a mild example. "GOFER" stands for "Get out of my fucking E.R." A "shpos" was a "subhuman piece of shit."

You know, I read about this kind of stuff in The House of God, but I hope ER staff don't actually talk this way. Pediatricians tend to be a more self-censoring bunch.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Leads to interesting slang, too. I once spent 3 weeks shadowing ER nurses and docs, doing research for a novel. I learned a lot that I used, and a lot that I didn't. "Crispy critters" is a mild example. "GOFER" stands for "Get out of my fucking E.R." A "shpos" was a "subhuman piece of shit." In fairness to the staff, they were working under very difficult conditions, their opinions of the patients didn't seem to affect the treatment they gave, and the only time I heard the last term used was after a patient spit in a nurse's face. Still...
This reminds me of M*A*S*H.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
You know, I read about this kind of stuff in The House of God, but I hope ER staff don't actually talk this way. Pediatricians tend to be a more self-censoring bunch.

Well, I heard it, I didn't make it up. But I didn't use the more extreme examples in my novel because I saw it as a way of coping and blowing off steam by people who actually were serving some of the neediest and toughest patients.