PDA

View Full Version : Weird copyright question

Unimportant
08-04-2010, 04:17 AM
Hi all,

In general, I have a basic understanding of copyright (it's mine unless it's work for hire or unless I sign it away). I work at a university, and they've recently implemented a new "intellectual property" policy which states that students retain the copyright but not "other intellectual property rights" for the literary and artistic works they create as part of their education or by using university resources. It also gives the university a non-exclusive perpetual right to reproduce the student's work "for teaching and research purposes".

Can anyone tell me exactly what this means for students in creative writing who produce a book or poems or whatever during their course of studies? What are the implications for the student? Do they retain derivative rights? Publication rights?

Paul
08-04-2010, 04:21 AM
wow. that aint a weird question. interesting. You'll prob have to offer more info on the 'other IP rights' for a full answer (not from me, from the pro's on here)

thothguard51
08-04-2010, 04:39 AM
It's mostly for academic work and the non-exclusive policy protects the University if the work is used by other students or University officials in a continuing academic process... In other words, they don't need your permission to continue to use or site this work by other University staff or students. If I am not mistaken.

I think this is a bi-product from the revised orphan copyright law. The revision was designed to help in researcher and new organizations, but in reality, was not limited as to how the works could be used...

Jamesaritchie
08-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Policy is not law, and usually matters only if it's spelled out in writing, if the exact rights are defined, and if all parties agree to it.

This said, I think it's always a bad idea for a student to write a book he wants to sell as part of a class. The university has no control over anything you write for yourself, on your own time.

Unimportant
08-05-2010, 01:24 AM
Thanks, J. That's helpful.