lots of action. Anyone else see it yet?

Carlene
FINDER
A girl, a dog, a dead body....
www.wildchildpublishing.com

robeiae
08-04-2010, 03:32 AM
Saw it with my son the other day.

Meh. There were some good action sequences, but the plot was paper thin and the ending was bloody awful.

And frankly, Jolie was far more intimidating in Tomb Raider and the like, when she had some meat on her bones.

CACTUSWENDY
08-04-2010, 03:34 AM
Have not seen it yet, but isn't she getting a little on the old side to be doing this type of movie? :evil

defcon6000
08-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Have not seen it yet, but isn't she getting a little on the old side to be doing this type of movie? :evil
It's called airbrush. ;)

I head it was Bourne Identity with a vagina. And personally, I've never really cared for Jolie, she's more like eye candy than an actress (if you can call that acting :rolleyes:).

darkprincealain
08-04-2010, 09:32 PM
I don't know about Bourne Identity. It felt more like Persons Unknown or Lost with a spy, to me. You don't have any clue about what's going on until the end, because of all the twists that wrap the plot up so much that there are plot holes the size a truck could drive through.

That said, I actually always find Liev Schreiber a very interesting actor to watch. And Jolie did better here than in Wanted, imo.

Shadow_Ferret
08-04-2010, 09:45 PM

Yeah, one of the shots of her in the trailers made her look REALLY old.

I almost cried.

Cranky
08-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Jeeze, people. She's five months older than I am -- I don't want to hear about how she's getting too "old" to do action movies. She's a whole whopping 35! *cries*

As for the movie -- looks like another popcorn thriller to me. I may see it when it comes on cable, but it's not something I'm going to go to the theater or buy the DVD for.

CACTUSWENDY
08-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Someone sent me a rep saying that I had double standards.....what about Bruce Willis being too old. Well, I think he is way too old for his action movies too. So is Sly, Freedman, Mel, and all the others that have made movies for tons of years. lol

Enzo
08-06-2010, 01:33 PM
It was good fun, but yes, over the top and at several points completely unbelievable. I still thought it watchable, and no, she's not 'too old' at all.
Lucky they didn't use Tom Cruise though, because this would have been one Mission Impossible mask too far for me. It's time to stop using those disguises in action movies.

Smileycat
08-06-2010, 01:51 PM
For some reason, I don't want to see this movie. I might change my mind eventually, but for now - avoiding it!

nitaworm
08-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Saw it with my son the other day.

Meh. There were some good action sequences, but the plot was paper thin and the ending was bloody awful.

And frankly, Jolie was far more intimidating in Tomb Raider and the like, when she had some meat on her bones.

I ditto that statement. I wrote a review of it. It was okay - enjoyable. I guess after seeing Inception, it just couldn't measure up.

Aldrey
08-07-2010, 03:10 AM
I saw Salt. Totally unbelievable and Jolie is painfully thin. It's not a good look and I had to keep from laughing throughout the movie. How could a 80lb anorexic weakling beat the mess out men ten times her weight and size.

Shadow_Ferret
08-07-2010, 03:12 AM
IHow could a 80lb anorexic weakling beat the mess out men ten times her weight and size.

I would think she'd easily out manuever guys weighing 800 lbs.

Lhun
08-07-2010, 03:17 AM
And then do what? Tickle them?

third person
08-07-2010, 10:21 AM

Scuze you? Helen Mirren (65) will be in a movie just like this soon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_%282010_film%29). And she is still very relevant as an actor.

I had to keep from laughing throughout the movie. How could a 80lb anorexic weakling beat the mess out men ten times her weight and size.
How very sexist, and, frankly, ignorant. I dare you to lay a finger on an 80lb, 80 year old woman who's a grand master in Baguazhang or Wing Chun. You won't be getting that finger back.

Lhun
08-08-2010, 08:41 PM
How very sexist, and, frankly, ignorant. I dare you to lay a finger on an 80lb, 80 year old woman who's a grand master in Baguazhang or Wing Chun. You won't be getting that finger back.I'm sorry, but i have to tell you that you've been wrongly convinced by hollywood of that. While gender isn't too relevant in martial arts, age is relevant and weight is extremely relevant. There's a reason you don't put featherweights and heavyweights in the same ring in competitions. Speed is nice, but small people aren't actually faster by design than big people, and speed means squat if you don't have the muscle to follow through.
I'm also sorry to tell you that while some *ing *un types are sensible martial arts, Baguazhang is just a joke. It's like Capoeira: looks nice, especially on film, but it's about as martial as Aerobics.

Jcomp
08-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Forget about Bruce Willis or Sly. They're an entirely different generation apart from Angelina. If Jolie's too old for action flicks at 35, then so is Will Smith (41), Tom Cruise (48), Jet Li (47), Ed Norton (40), Mark Wahlberg (39), Matt Damon (39) and Robert Downey Jr. (45).

Is she too thin to believably kick so much ass? Yeah, but that comes back to a longstanding tradition of Hollywood "waif-fu (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WaifFu)." In 21st century action movies, most of the action stars are probably not strong / tall / big enough to handle the larger dudes who assault them. That's half the point. Even in the 80's they eventually had to start putting Arnold up against 7-foot aliens or making him the bad guy because watching a guy who appears to be physically dominant over all of his foes be exactly as physically dominant as you'd expect him to be gets boring.

So yeah, no problem with Jolie doing action flicks or beating up dudes that are much bigger than her. It's fitting with current Hollywood action flick styling.

Lhun
08-08-2010, 09:23 PM
As Carlene said: it's fun cause it's so unbelievable. Just don't ever take it for real, no matter how many action flics are that way.

Shadow_Ferret
08-09-2010, 03:10 AM
And then do what? Tickle them?

Keep out of their reach until they have a massive coronary.
Forget about Bruce Willis or Sly. They're an entirely different generation apart from Angelina. If Jolie's too old for action flicks at 35, then so is Will Smith (41), Tom Cruise (48), Jet Li (47), Ed Norton (40), Mark Wahlberg (39), Matt Damon (39) and Robert Downey Jr. (45).

My age comment was limited to one scene in the trailer which made her seem old. Maybe it was a combination of lighting, camera angle and make-up. I don't know, but in her other pics she's fine. I made no other comments about her age. I like Angelina and generally enjoy her as an action hero.

Gugland
08-09-2010, 03:43 AM

Works for me. I'd be quite happy to never see any of those actors again, in anything, action or otherwise. Ok, except maybe Ed Norton, he gets a reprieve for Death to Smoochie. But the rest, yeah, there should be a "Logan's Run" law on action heroes.

But my opinion should be ignored anyway, 'cause I'm too old to give a hoot about action movies.

Lhun
08-09-2010, 04:07 AM
Keep out of their reach until they have a massive coronary.Sure, after all that happens to big guys like Mike Tyson or the Klitschko Brothers all the time when fighting.
Oh wait, my mistake.
There's a good reason why you never see small guys show up at the UFC and kick ass. Heck, since a few disasters in the early times of mixed martial arts you don't see small guys show up at all anymore. No little old Shaolin Monk stands a chance against a guy in his twenties who has 50 pounds on him, unless the bigger guy is clueless.
It's not what hollywood has taught us, and it's quite depressing (i do martial arts and i'm short) but that's just the way it is.

Jcomp
08-09-2010, 05:52 PM
My age comment was limited to one scene in the trailer which made her seem old. Maybe it was a combination of lighting, camera angle and make-up. I don't know, but in her other pics she's fine. I made no other comments about her age. I like Angelina and generally enjoy her as an action hero.

I wasn't really directing it at you. I saw your comment as more joke and applicable to the one moment you mentioned in a trailer. Other people had specifically stated she's "too old" for action movies. I was just highlighting how hilariously silly that notion is if taken at face value, considering how many actors older than her are not only action stars, but still major box office draws. As she still is, evidenced by Salt's solid financial success.

In short, we're all good, SF.

shaldna
08-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Scuze you? Helen Mirren (65) will be in a movie just like this soon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_%282010_film%29). And she is still very relevant as an actor.

and very sexy too.

How very sexist, and, frankly, ignorant. I dare you to lay a finger on an 80lb, 80 year old woman who's a grand master in Baguazhang or Wing Chun. You won't be getting that finger back.

or you're average Irish Grandmother. Not only are they tough, slightly psychotic and impossibly strong, they are also cruel and imaginative, and they can hide the bits of you where no one will ever find them.

:)

Shadow_Ferret
08-11-2010, 02:32 AM
Sure, after all that happens to big guys like Mike Tyson or the Klitschko Brothers all the time when fighting.
Oh wait, my mistake.

I believe you said these guys weighed 10 times her 80 lbs. That's 800 lbs. I don't care who they are, someone that size is barely going to move, much less fight.

Ken
08-11-2010, 03:38 AM
... I like that move of hers I saw in a trailer in which she kicks off a wall before delivering a blow.

Lhun
08-11-2010, 05:14 AM
I believe you said these guys weighed 10 times her 80 lbs. That's 800 lbs. I don't care who they are, someone that size is barely going to move, much less fight.No, i'm pretty sure the only times i even used the word in this thread was in reference to "early times".

All of which is beside the point. Hollywood (and Hong Kong) has shown us for decades that small ancient grand masters of whatever obscure asian martial arts are the ultimate human killing machines. Which is a load of bollocks, no more real than the roundhouse kick of Chuck Norris. The difference is that people know Chuck Norris is fake and take the movie Kung Fu for real.

third person
08-11-2010, 06:06 AM
and very sexy too.

I admit to having a crush on her. And considering how I know females as young as 30 who'd have it off with Sean Connery if they could I'm not ashamed about it one bit.

mario_c
08-18-2010, 08:56 AM
(spoiler text ahead) This started out as a kind of a dreary espionage thriller, and then it became your standard popcorn movie with car chases and explosions in every scene, and it just got more and more outrageous and ridiculous with every scene until it didn't end so much as stop. A little cocky about the possibility of a sequel, are we?
As for Angelina, she's incredibly beautiful, a vision of power and grace in her action sequences, and plays a character with the personality of a doorknob. The twist where it turns out she really is a Russian spy didn't help. And did we need the weird love interest with spiders in every corner of the room?! Is there another era in our history where the heroine of a big summer movie is a Russian spy bent on killing the President? OK granted, she pulls a fast move and thwarts the plan because...well, the movie doesn't really go into why, but damn. I was sitting there in disbelief.
The weird twist trend where the whole movie is recast in one scene (Shutter Island is another example) has become trendy, and I find it to be pretty frustrating when it's not done right: In this one they have to explain how the Premier re-emerges alive after she blew up a damn church to kill him! It's a $100 million magic trick, and I find it disingenious.
Preyon, have you read the first draft (called "Edwin A. Salt")? I'm going to start it now that I've seen the movie...

Smileycat
08-22-2010, 11:56 AM
I finally saw it today. I liked it.

AmsterdamAssassin
07-24-2011, 02:01 AM
I bought the DVD for eight euros. Watched it together with my wife and we lost our suspension of disbelief about five minutes into the movie [Matt Damon's Jason Bourne this is not], but it was funny to see Angelina kick butt through an army of supposedly well-trained federal agents and secret service personnel. She moves gracefully, as she did in Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Wanted, and Tomb Raider.

This is popcorn, people. Let's not have a debate about the verisimilitude. Not even Jolie would assume her portrayal of a spy is realistic.

Lyra Jean
07-24-2011, 02:10 AM
It was a good popcorn movie.

PrincessofPersia
07-24-2011, 02:15 AM
Better than I thought it would be. Not great, but not bad. I enjoyed it for the most part.

TCnKC
07-24-2011, 07:12 AM
I'm not usually one to over analyze a movie's weak points but the ending of the movie was awful.

WARNING: Spoilers in white

Everything that took place after Jolie was taken into custody was flat out unnecessary. We are suppose to assume that everyone believes Jolie broke into the bunker and killed everyone when all they have to do to find out who was behind it was ASK THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES! You know, the guy Liev Schreiber's character grilled for the codes to launch the missiles. The same guy Liev Schreiber's character knocked out(not killed) afterward. The same guy who SAW Liev Schreiber KILLING EVERYONE!

Meanwhile, Jolie is on the chopper with this guy grilling her. The guy is telling her no one will believe you, etc... blah blah blah...

And I'm screaming ASK THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!

One of the worst plot holes in movies I've ever seen. EVER.

(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000630/)

AmsterdamAssassin
07-24-2011, 12:58 PM
No, you're wrong, because in the original script:

The President of the United States is struck mute by the vicious attack of Winter and the terror of almost unleashing the third world war.

Bartholomew
07-24-2011, 01:20 PM
no more real than the roundhouse kick of Chuck Norris. ... Chuck Norris is fake ...

BLASPHEMER!

clockwork
07-24-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm not usually one to over analyze a movie's weak points but the ending of the movie was awful.

WARNING: Spoilers in white

Everything that took place after Jolie was taken into custody was flat out unnecessary. We are suppose to assume that everyone believes Jolie broke into the bunker and killed everyone when all they have to do to find out who was behind it was ASK THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES! You know, the guy Liev Schreiber's character grilled for the codes to launch the missiles. The same guy Liev Schreiber's character knocked out(not killed) afterward. The same guy who SAW Liev Schreiber KILLING EVERYONE!

Meanwhile, Jolie is on the chopper with this guy grilling her. The guy is telling her no one will believe you, etc... blah blah blah...

And I'm screaming ASK THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!

One of the worst plot holes in movies I've ever seen. EVER.

(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000630/)

In an alternate version, the President is killed in that bunker finale - it's on one of the DVDs - so it's possible that the scenes afterwards with Jolie being interrogated were shot after that particular ending and then, when the ending was changed, they were just left as is.

But as it stands, I agree. It's not explained why they don't just talk to the President and so seems a bit daft. I remember saying the same to my brother in the cinema when we saw it. Perhaps she's whisked away too soon or the President is incapacitated / recovering, but because she doesn't even suggest it either, I'm led to believe it's probably a mish-mash of those two different endings.

TCnKC
07-24-2011, 09:22 PM
No, you're wrong, because in the original script:

The President of the United States is struck mute by the vicious attack of Winter and the terror of almost unleashing the third world war.

So we're suppose to ignore what is happening on the screen because an alternative script exists? That just makes it worse. You have a superstar actress and I'm assuming a huge budget but you can't edit? Sloppy. VERY sloppy.

I also have other issues with the film but they're typical hollywood stuff(overly dramatic, etc.) that you just shake your head at and move on. The huge (editing) plot hole though? Inexcusable.

STKlingaman
07-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Entertaining . . yea OK.
Good? well . . . cough!

Lost interest (obvious plot buster) . . .
when she doesn't kill anyone in the hotel on
her way to the Russian Prez.

Jumping from truck to truck on a Freeway?
Give me a Break.

Bracken
07-24-2011, 10:08 PM

She's actually not that old. Mid-30s?
She's aging bloody terribly.
She's younger than me, but she looks older. A lot older.

Victoria
07-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Actually, Chuck Norris was the only person Bruce Lee had trouble with in action sequences. He's the real deal, even if he is a terrible actor.