I hate stupid people

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Taking a stroll on a lovely Sunday afternoon (OK, I was coming home from the pub), I saw a smartly dressed man on the other side of the road and two men takling outside a house ahead of me. As I came closer to the two men, the other guy gets their attention and says:

"You guys been to church today?"

The two blokes in front of me were Muslim.

Turns out the smartly dressed guy was a member of the God Squad and as such I expect him to be an unthinking robot, but does that mean he has to be a complete moron as well? It's not like the two Muslim guys were dressed as anything other than Muslims. It's not like they were in disguise as WASPS. They were Muslim which in my mind makes Mr Happy Clappy a total dickhead.

End of rant.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Maybe they get extra God points for converting Muslims?

I hope you laughed loudly. Very loudly. But sadly the God Squad take an awful lot of persuading not to keep trying to convert you. Although answering the door naked with a 'gentleman's early morning thing' going on is very effective, as a neighbour of mine can attest (he didn't mean too...they interrupted his hangover)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I hope you laughed loudly. Very loudly

I was going to but it was one of those did I really hear that? moments. By the time I'd convinced myself I had, the two Muslims had gone into a house and the other guy was around the corner - thankfully heading away from my house.

Reaction score
Calling members of the 'God squad' unthinking robots isn't exactly the height of good manners either.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
What's the "God Squad?" Is that an actual organization or is that just a rude way to talk about Christians?

It's slang for the rude Christians who try and force you to join.

I'm all for anyone believing in the faith of their choice, and I know many lovely Christians. However the God Squad (or the Happy Clappers) will accost as you walk around minding your own business, or on your own doorstep and if you aren't already a Christian who preferably goes to Church regularly, they will not leave you alone.

I had one (the same one who got scared by my neighbour, and this is probably why...) who turned up every Saturday morning at 7am to give it just one more try. Every week. For over three months. When I'm trying to have a lie in, when I'm more than honest that I'm happy with my own religion, thanks. I politely tell her I'm not interested. I politely ask her to stop turning up. I try not answering the door, she keeps pressing the bell till I want to scream.

She is not alone. If the God Squad are in town I can't even buy a damn paper without being jumped.

Once they know you aren't Christian, they are on you and they won't let go. I find it incredibly rude to be told how my religion sucks.

Last edited:

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Just to clarify - God Sqaud is a general term (or at least it is in my area) to refer to the people who knock on your door to tell you about God, Jesus and all the wonders of Heaven. It's not an umbrella term for all Christians. Also to clarify - I couldn't really care less what people believe as long as it's kept out of my face (which means don't knock on my door to tell me about it). My point is you have to be pretty stupid to ask two men who are obviously not Christian if they've been to church.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Incidentally, the guy on the other side of the street sounded exactly like Ed Winchester from The Fast Show.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if seun was talking about this group http://www.godsquad.com/ or if he was using the term in a vernacular sort of way for Evangelical Christians.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I can't see how God Squad is rude. It's an umbrella term for certain types of proselytising Christians who like to spread their message. There's no swearing or anything derogatory in those two words. Have we reached the point where any expression, no matter how innocuous, about the religious must be considered insulting?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I can't see how God Squad is rude. It's an umbrella term for certain types of proselytising Christians who like to spread their message. There's no swearing or anything derogatory in those two words. Have we reached the point where any expression, no matter how innocuous, about the religious must be considered insulting?

God Squad doesn't sound rude or derogatory to you? OK. But since when do you need to have swearing in an expression to make it insulting? I'm curious when we reached the point where insults and being inconsiderate became socially acceptable.

But sean explained what he meant. It's not a blanket term for Christians, but refers to those who proselytize and knock on your door and make your beliefs their business. I've heard those types called Bible Thumpers myself.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I always think up the best things to say to door-knockers after I've already politely sent them on their way.

I guess I just wasn't born to be rude (well, maybe perverse, but not rude...) ?

A guy I knew said he chased doorknockers down the street with a sword. Somehow I didn't believe him... *eyeroll*

*forces self not to discuss his own beliefs because that would probably lead to quick and forceful bannination*

Carry on. :)

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
God Squad doesn't sound rude or derogatory to you?
Not in and of itself, no. It indicates you're a member of God's Team. Which, I woudl like to reiterate, I have no problem with. It's only when they try and draft me.

Now that doesn't mean some people can't use it in a derogatory manner, but the same is true of any descriptor. Like Bible Thumpers :D

(Sorry, this subject just pushes my buttons, mainly because of the rudeness I -often not always -get from the Squaders. They don't think they're being derogatory either.)
I always think up the best things to say to door-knockers after I've already politely sent them on their way.
A mate of mine reckons saying you're a Satanist generally works, but I don't like to lie.

Last edited:

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
But sean explained what he meant. It's not a blanket term for Christians, but refers to those who proselytize and knock on your door and make your beliefs their business. I've heard those types called Bible Thumpers myself.

Psst...seun.

Anyway, yes, the term is not a catch all for Christians. To be honest, I've never heard it used that way.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
If some one chooses to knock on my door and try to delve into my beliefs then they have to come prepared for what is verbally thrown at them. I think it extremely rude and derogatory for them to try and change my beliefs even when I have told them that I have never been and will never be a Christian. One had the temerity to ask me what religion I was "Pantheistic Jew" I replied. Whilst he stood and thought I closed the door. He knocked again to tell me that I would go to hell. "With you on my door step I am already there!" He told me I was cursed. I then said the three fold priestly benediction, in Hebrew, and he legged it. So, my advice in how to get rid of the GS is to learn Hebrew!

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
If you wanna hear a horrible story about stupid people let me explain. My boyfriend is a waiter at a resturant in a very poor neighborhood. This is actually what a costumer said to him after he handed him the martini he ordered

"This got a salt rim! Why would you give me a salt rim? Dont you see i'm black, are you trying to give me diabetes! Take it back and get me a sugar rim!" Then proceeded to mumble about what an idiot my boyfriend was....

The guy thought salt could give him diabetes!

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
If some one chooses to knock on my door and try to delve into my beliefs then they have to come prepared for what is verbally thrown at them. I think it extremely rude and derogatory for them to try and change my beliefs even when I have told them that I have never been and will never be a Christian. One had the temerity to ask me what religion I was "Pantheistic Jew" I replied.

You were a lot more polite than I would have been.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
A mate of mine reckons saying you're a Satanist generally works, but I don't like to lie.

Yeah, I try to come up with things that will make them see they can't convert me that happen to be true. It's harder than it sounds.

In the end, I just look at them groggily and say, "Sorry, not interested." - The same treatment I reserve for that guy who comes round asking if I want to learn karate...

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a jehovah witness church up the street from my house, every time they come knocking i dont answer the door, they came up with a cure for that. Just last month i hear the door bell ring and see a little no older then 6 year old boy standing at my door. I open it assuming its some kind of collection for sports team or some school fundraiser. The poor boy look at me and begins to studder off this memorized speech asking me if i believed the story of Noahs Ark is real....

They tricked me! His parents were hinding down on the street behind my car! The sad thing was i didnt have the heart to tell this poor little boy who looked so nervous he was about to cry, to go away... so i stood there and listened to him... Tricky trickly people.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Many many apologies. SeUn. :)
Not in and of itself, no. It indicates you're a member of God's Team. Which, I woudl like to reiterate, I have no problem with. It's only when they try and draft me.

Maybe, except I've never heard anyone refer to themselves that way. "Hey! I'm part of God Squad!"
Yeah, I try to come up with things that will make them see they can't convert me that happen to be true. It's harder than it sounds.

In the end, I just look at them groggily and say, "Sorry, not interested." - The same treatment I reserve for that guy who comes round asking if I want to learn karate...

You're supposed to answer the door with a bloody shirt and say, "Will this take long? I was sacrificing a chicken to my master, Beelzebub.