Agents who write

thephoenix

Registered
Reaction score
Am I bit silly to be feel a little uncomfortable with agents who also write, especially writing in the same genre that I do? I always find myself hesitating when querying them.

Does anyone else feel this way or am i just silly? lol

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Agents love books. Many agents have gone to school for writing, and are good at and interested in it -- which makes sense, right? I mean, what better degree or hobby for a book-lover?

A few agents are published authors in addition to their "day job" of agenting.

These successful author-agents are among the most sought-after (Nathan Bransford and Laura Rennert come to mind immediately, though there are others). But if it makes you uncomfortable, the solution is easy. Just don't query those agents.

Of course, then you'll also want to avoid all the editors who are also writers...

YoursEvermore

Registered
Reaction score
While constructing my list of agents to query, I stumbled across quite a few author/agent combos. One of them (I forget which one, sorry!) said that one of her rules is to not even consider similar sounding MSs to anything she might be working on. So, if she's doing a vamp story, she avoids all vamp queries/MSs, etc. Just like any other author, I'm sure the authors/agents in the world have a zillion ideas of their own to work on. Plus, it's really bad for business if they started stealing from the slush pile.

Edita A Petrick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editapetrick.biz
Hi, Jennifer -- I have a question and would appreciate if you gave me your opinion on it. How long should I wait before 'email-querying' a status of YA novel submitted to an agent? The agent requested it whole (70,000 words) - we were both working on a Sunday and obviously my query clicked in when she was at the computer and able to see it herself. We're in the same time-zone.

Some agents send back a quick acknowledgement of receipt - others don't. It depends on how busy they are at any given time. This one didn't send back receipt-acknowledgement. I've no way of knowing whether she received my submission as requested. I don't want to clutter her email box with questions. Still, I'd like to know that she at least received it. Submission was 2 weeks ago.

What's a reasonable business-time frame to inquire as to the novel's status?

I've had many - and I do mean many occasions in the past when, after email inquiry as to the novel's status, the agent replied that he/she never saw it, never received it. Then, after I re-subbed, I got back email from <assistant> with either standard rejection or rejection that made no sense at all. A few times I got back a rejection on a novel that I did not write. And once I got a rejection that was re-routed through a writer in Arizona. So, considering such things do happen, how do I go about at the very least trying to find out whether my sub of Word document was received -- without hitting an <assistant-wall>...?

Thanks for your time and pointers. Edita.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I had a similar problem, I had been corresponding with an agent, who requested a partial, then sent me a "hey I got it" then later she requested the full... but then I never got a conformation of reciept... I was like Uh Oh, maybe she didn't get it.
So I waited a little over a week, then I sent her a very poilite short e-mail and attatched the manuscript to it again, just in case. She replied within minutes. Thanks-I have it.

A short, polite request is not unheard of, and really I don't think we should be so scared to e-mail agents with our questions. There is nothing wrong with wanting to make sure she got the manuscript.

Hi, Jennifer -- I have a question and would appreciate if you gave me your opinion on it. How long should I wait before 'email-querying' a status of YA novel submitted to an agent? The agent requested it whole (70,000 words) - we were both working on a Sunday and obviously my query clicked in when she was at the computer and able to see it herself. We're in the same time-zone.

Some agents send back a quick acknowledgement of receipt - others don't. It depends on how busy they are at any given time. This one didn't send back receipt-acknowledgement. I've no way of knowing whether she received my submission as requested. I don't want to clutter her email box with questions. Still, I'd like to know that she at least received it. Submission was 2 weeks ago.

What's a reasonable business-time frame to inquire as to the novel's status?

I've had many - and I do mean many occasions in the past when, after email inquiry as to the novel's status, the agent replied that he/she never saw it, never received it. Then, after I re-subbed, I got back email from <assistant> with either standard rejection or rejection that made no sense at all. A few times I got back a rejection on a novel that I did not write. And once I got a rejection that was re-routed through a writer in Arizona. So, considering such things do happen, how do I go about at the very least trying to find out whether my sub of Word document was received -- without hitting an <assistant-wall>...?

Thanks for your time and pointers. Edita.

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Hi, Jennifer -- I have a question and would appreciate if you gave me your opinion on it.

I think you should ask the current agent-in-residence, or else ask me on my blog, rather than hijack a random thread here. :)

But my response would probably be, if you are really worried about it, send a quick email.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Am I bit silly to be feel a little uncomfortable with agents who also write, especially writing in the same genre that I do? I always find myself hesitating when querying them.

Does anyone else feel this way or am i just silly? lol

yeah. you're being silly.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the biggest part of an agent-client relationship is trust, and if it's a problem for you, that's fine. Just don't query agents who write. But I really wouldn't worry about it. Just query reputable, reliable professionals (as you should anyway).

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
What Ryan said. Also, I guess it depends why you are cautious abotu them. is it because they will be competitors, or because you are worried about them stealing your idea, or because you don't to be overshadowed? I really don't understand.

Personally I would think that an agent who writes in that genre probably is in a great place to sell your novel.

Edita A Petrick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editapetrick.biz
Thanks. Didn't mean to hijack any thread - in fact, have always had difficulties on this site to <connect and ask and respond> to whatever correct channel there is and I've been a member since 2007. It's just too huge to find things and there is no one really to ask - I thought you were the current agent in residence. Apologies.