PDA

View Full Version : Strategic Book Publishing & Rights Agency

victoriastrauss
08-02-2010, 09:42 PM
A new agency name/website for Fletcher: http://www.strategicbookagency.com/index.html

Gemser, the publisher mentioned on the site, is a real company, a book publisher/packager based in Spain: http://www.mercedesros.com/home.html . Much of the content on the Strategic Book Agency website has been copied from Gemser's website. Fletcher/Strategic was at this year's BEA, and so was Gemser--I'm guessing this is the result of a contact made there.

- Victoria

CaoPaux
08-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Dear publishers, would you like to offer novelties in your catalogue without investing in new and costly publishing projects?

Allow us to help you with an attractive list of books supplied in very competitive conditions. They are high quality books designed for the international marketplace and you can gain access to them through co-editions or granting-rights agreements.

You can choose between a wide range of children's books covering all subjects and ages: crafts, fiction, non-fiction, games, religion and so on. They make it sound like a PLR deal. Ick.

C. K. Casner
08-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Ugh! They are making contacts across the pond and still haven't updated their Royalty report page.

AC Crispin
08-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Too bad someone fluent in Spanish can't get in touch with this Spanish publisher and explain to them about how the Florida Attorney General's Office is investigating and suing Robert Fletcher and all his companies for defrauding writers.

-Ann C. Crispin

M.R.J. Le Blanc
08-03-2010, 12:57 AM
I think I might know someone...

victoriastrauss
09-06-2010, 05:18 AM
All reference to Gemser is gone now. Gee, I wonder what happened?

- Victoria

C. K. Casner
09-06-2010, 05:42 AM
Someone got wise, thank God.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
09-06-2010, 05:57 AM
An interesting tidbit; on the Strategic marketing page on fb they were updating the first two days of the Beijing Book Fair, were quiet for the next few days and now their excuse as to why they hadn't updated is because China blocked fb.

victoriastrauss
09-06-2010, 07:50 PM
In the main Strategic thread, someone just posted their email about their huge success in Beijing. Success, success, success, a.k.a. authors' dollars in Strategic's pocket--but of course no mention of any actual rights sales.

- Victoria

M.R.J. Le Blanc
09-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Yeah, it's all crafty wording. I could see how it would make authors think their books were successful.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
09-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Sorry about the double post, but something I saw on a Strategic author's fb page made me wonder something.

This author was at the Beijing book fair (and had to pay his way, naturally) and posted a picture of himself with 'the owner of Strategic Publishing'. Now I don't know what Fletcher looks like, but if that was indeed him in the picture it got me thinking with the whole lawsuit the AG has against him, is Fletcher even allowed to leave the country? Getting the attention of the AG is no small thing I'm sure, and if there is as big a mountain of evidence against Fletcher as I'm sure there is, I bet it'd be tempting to flee in order to escape having to deal with losing a court case. I'd imagine the AG wouldn't want him leaving and not coming back.

Maybe this is something I should email the AG about? It still blows my mind Fletcher is still operating even with this lawsuit, like it doesn't exist.

victoriastrauss
09-09-2010, 08:36 PM
It's a civil lawsuit, not a criminal case, so it doesn't involve travel restrictions or anything of that nature. Plus, the AG can only sue for actions in Florida or against Florida residents--so Fletcher would not have to go anywhere near as far as China to escape any strictures that might be imposed on him if he lost.

- Victoria

M.R.J. Le Blanc
09-10-2010, 03:20 AM
Ah okay. Just seemed...odd, that he'd go. But then again no one in China is aware they were talking with a scammer, so I guess there was no worry. I shudder to think how much those authors shelled out to be there though. Is that typical of real publishers? Do they invite their authors to be at book fairs?

victoriastrauss
09-10-2010, 03:48 AM
Yes, publishers do invite authors to be at book fairs (usually their top sellers, or new writers they're looking to give a big launch to)--but they comp them into the show and don't require them to pay a fee to participate.

- Victoria

victoriastrauss
12-22-2010, 02:13 AM
Strategic Book Publishing & Rights Agency has a new website: http://sbpra.com/

Note the image of the stack of books that appears on the front page, including titles by Michael Crichton, Stephen King, and President Obama. How many unwary writers will conclude that they are SBPRA's clients?

- Victoria

DeadlyAccurate
12-22-2010, 09:13 PM
The rotating banner at the top misspells fiction as "ficton."

WriterMomto3
12-22-2010, 10:24 PM
And, apparently they are located in New York, NewYork.

WriterMomto3
12-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Oh! And another one: "SBG employs about 150 people that live and work virtually." How do you live virtually? Is he talking about his aliases??

James D. Macdonald
12-22-2010, 10:53 PM
And, apparently they are located in New York, NewYork.

No, they aren't.

That's merely the first of their many outrageous lies.

They're located in Boca Raton, Florida (which is what give the Florida Attorney General jurisdiction to sue them for false and misleading business practices).

All they have in New York, NY, is a mail-forwarding service.

WriterMomto3
12-22-2010, 11:29 PM
I just thought it funny (not really) that they misspelled NewYork. You'd think they would have their editors check out their website.

I've also noticed they use the Durham, CT address on their copyright pages in their books. At least that's what Amazon.com shows.

victoriastrauss
12-23-2010, 06:48 AM
Their latest contracts use a Texas address.

- Victoria

James D. Macdonald
12-23-2010, 06:52 AM
Any chance they're relocating to Tom Green County?

Moni
01-27-2011, 03:33 PM
I guess the good news for me is that I ask a TON of questions....I have a phone call in to "Mark" (no last name & it sounds like he says Lois on his VM, but can't be really sure) I've already asked two questions of his VM, so I may not even get anything out of this.

I got my email touting how wonderful everything seemed and good news! They're referring me to a "sister company" Strategic....blah blah blah....of course me being the curious impatient soul that I am I looked at the web page & had WAY too many questions pop up at once. Of course that was a HUGE waving red flag so I got onto google (LOVE researching with them!!!) found your threads here. Haven't been sent anything which is good news & I'm loathe to even sully my work enough to send it to them.

Thank you guys for being here! I would have been a very broken woman had I not found you. To think that they're preying upon people's dreams like that!! Sheesh! It even says it in the link listed above! Makes me want to projectile vomit in their general direction! Humph! Some people have no souls whatsoever!

WriterMomto3
04-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Hi everyone, I just came across this. I thought it was interesting and wanted to share.

http://authorpressrelease.posterous.com/mtvs-jersey-shore-star-mike-the-situation-sor

James D. Macdonald
04-12-2011, 07:15 PM
I'll put down a marker right now for "six-figure rights sale won't be announced at Book Expo in New York this year."

victoriastrauss
04-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Holy crap. This looks like lawsuit bait (assuming, of course, anyone takes notice).

- Victoria

Shrouded
04-12-2011, 08:20 PM
It smacks of desperation on Fletcher's part. Now, I wonder if he can remember which accountant put said money in what account? Of course he can always seal the deal with a simple,"Can you take an IOU?"

C. K. Casner
04-13-2011, 05:52 AM
OMG...

Wonder if this will be as big a seller like Kennedy's Chappaquiddick trial?

victoriastrauss
05-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Lawsuit bait? Oh yeah (http://www.tmz.com/2011/05/17/the-situation-mike-sorrentino-frank-sorrentino-the-confrontation-lawsuit-sued-sues/).

Check out the next to last paragraph of the article.

- Victoria

AC Crispin
05-18-2011, 02:11 AM
If all I had standing between me and a lawsuit by a pissed off celebrity was Robert Fletcher, I'd start running. Fletcher is about as much qualfied legal "rep" as I am Queen of Patagonia. Yeesh!

-Ann C. Crispin
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom
Disney Editions

victoriastrauss
05-18-2011, 05:47 AM
Another article, which links to the lawsuit docs (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b242312_situation_vs_his_dad_zip_it_pops.html?sid= rss_msn_news).

Fletcher is a named defendant.

- Victoria

James D. Macdonald
05-18-2011, 02:40 PM
And here are those docs (http://images.eonline.com/static/news/pdf/situationsuit.pdf), linked as above.

Momento Mori
05-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Love paragraphs 5 and 12.

Incidentally, anyone know whether Fletcher got that "six figure deal" for the book rights? I mean, I know he was aiming for it by May and I suppose he's got a fortnight left ...

MM

C. K. Casner
05-18-2011, 06:26 PM
All I can say is WOW.

Wonder if the investigation will move a little quicker now that someone famous wants a piece of Bouncing Bobby.

WriterMomto3
05-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Choked on my coffee when I read paragraph 5 (I was prepared by the time I got to paragraph 12). I can almost (almost) feel sorry for some of the "employees" whom I know personally who are involved with Fletcher. Sigh. It really is like a train wreck, I want to look away and I just can't.

CaoPaux
05-18-2011, 07:04 PM
I think we're gonna need to rent a commercial model for this one.

http://www.nationalspride.com/media/photos/full_IMG_8097.jpg

WriterMomto3
05-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks, Cao, I almost choked on my coffee again. LOL. I'm putting the cup down now. :)

WriterMomto3
05-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Thought I'd share again.

http://strategicbookmarketing.posterous.com/strategic-book-groups-ceo-speaks-at-london-bo

Ink-Stained Wretch
05-31-2011, 06:44 AM
Love paragraphs 5 and 12.

Incidentally, anyone know whether Fletcher got that "six figure deal" for the book rights?

I'm sure Fletcher's getting at least six figures from the author, if you count the two figures after the decimal point.

victoriastrauss
05-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Fletcher hasn't charged Frank Sorrentino a cent. I think Fletcher saw this as his ticket to the big time, and to legitimacy as a publisher. I'm guessing that he never actually intended to market the book rights to anyone--it was all a leadup to announcing he was publishing the book himself. (Such announcement, however--or indeed any announcements at all--were conspicuously absent from BEA.)

Check out Fletcher's press release (http://strategicbookagency.com/main/?p=22) in response to the lawsuit. He's calling it "frivolous." He should know (http://www.sfwa.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/FletcherFrivolous.pdf).

Both Fletcher and Mr. Sorrentino live in Boca Raton. Hmmmmm.

- Victoria

Terie
05-31-2011, 07:45 PM
Check out Fletcher's press release (http://strategicbookagency.com/main/?p=22) in response to the lawsuit. He's calling it "frivolous." He should know (http://www.sfwa.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/FletcherFrivolous.pdf).

Hey, do you suppose that press release is a good example of the quality of editing one can expect from SBP?

Ink-Stained Wretch
05-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Fletcher hasn't charged Frank Sorrentino a cent. I think Fletcher saw this as his ticket to the big time, and to legitimacy as a publisher.

You think Fletcher dreams of being a legitimate agent? Maybe he's as delusional as some of his clients; after all this time, Fletcher's reputation in legitimate publishing circles has to stink like a week-old fish. What publisher would waste her time looking at anything Fletcher has to offer? I'd lay better odds on John "Gor" Norman being hired as a columnist for Ms. magazine.

Hey, do you suppose that press release is a good example of the quality of editing one can expect from SBP?

Given all that talk about manly men versus metrosexual wusses, I'd say it was a damned fine typing job, considering how it was most likely done with only one hand.

victoriastrauss
05-31-2011, 10:55 PM
You think Fletcher dreams of being a legitimate agent?
Yup. I think he's been seduced by "Agent/Publisher: the Role-Playing Game," a subset of "International Businessman: the Role-Playing Game." While maintaining the original purpose of the enterprise, of course (to separate writers from their money).

- Victoria

Ink-Stained Wretch
06-02-2011, 07:23 AM
“I’m calling Mike on his sh*t,” says Frank Sorrentino, father of Mike ‘The Situation’ Sorrentino. “I’ve covered up for Mike his entire life, and when I needed his help, he left me hanging,” continued Mike’s dad. “I think people should know what I know. Hard core partying, drugs, sex, crime elements, you name it, it’s in there.

Oh my goodness gracious. Such tales would surely destroy "The Situation's" career. Jersey Shore fans tune in because they like the show's themes: sobriety, moderation, chastity and respect for the law.

James D. Macdonald
06-03-2011, 07:15 PM
I think Fletcher saw this as his ticket to the big time, and to legitimacy as a publisher.

What happened to the guy who was going to rip the lid off the Teddy Kennedy/Chappaquiddick cover-up? Wasn't he going to be Bouncing Bobby's ticket to legitimacy?

I sure hope someone saved that press release in all its barely-literate glory.

Meanwhile, I'm putting my marker down now. Just like there wasn't an announcement of a six-figure publishing deal at BEA, there isn't going to be any "huge Internet TV show" this fall.

DreamWeaver
06-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Isn't "huge internet TV show" an oxymoron? Well, unless one counts a clip that's gone viral on YouTube...

C. K. Casner
06-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Here is the latest tripe from SBG:

:

The L.I.S.T. O.F. Book Marketing:

Email Campaigns
----------------------------------------------------

<B>Let's Spread the Word

Email marketing is one of the most affordable and effective methods of reaching potential readers and selling books.

</B>
Congratulations! We are so happy that your book has been released. We would like to have the opportunity to help you get the word out and send a friendly reminder to your family, friends, and professional contacts! The book was released in 2009. You're new here, aren't you?

We offer an extremely effective tool to do so – personalized email announcements that areboth innovative and professional. You simply provide us with your latest contact list (friends, family, fans, professional contacts) and we will send a customized marketing email to your entire list once your book is released and your website is "live".

We will work with you to customize your email announcement whether you choose our Enhanced Email or Ultra Enhanced Email Announcement options. The Enhanced Email Announcement includes your biography, author picture, cover photo and buying links. The Ultra Enhanced Email Announcement is our #1 option as it provides you the best presence and most professional image. It includes your press release, author photo, buying links and more!
Whichever email announcement option you choose, it will arrive in your contact's INBOX appearing to come from YOU, adding a personalized touch and approach to Marketing.
To learn more about our email options, and contact list gathering process, please contact us at [email protected] ([email protected]); [email protected] or visit our store (http://authormarketingideas.com/products-page/) to order online now.

Julie - Book Release Announcements
www.StrategicBookGroup.com
www.StrategicBookClub.com
www.StrategicBookAgency.com
www.StrategicBookPublishing.com
www.SBPRA.com
www.StrategicBookMarketing.com

ABOUT: Strategic Book Group provides book publishing, book marketing, and e-book services to over 10,000 writers around the world, employing 150 people who live throughout the US and work virtually through telecommunication. Strategic Book Group is experiencing over 30% growth per year, having published approximately 3000 authors with almost 100 new releases per month. Our books are available through Ingram, the largest book distributor in the world, as well as in bookstores, through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and all online channels. Strategic Book Group attends and exhibits at the major book expositions in London, New York, China, and Germany each year.

To follow us on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/2cwerv7

To follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/StrategicBook

To follow us on Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?mostPopular=&gid=3690863

------------------------------- Footer -------------------
Book marketing techniques can be organized into the following broad categories: We call this our L.I.S.T. O.F acronym. Clearly there will be some overlap of the book marketing techniques below but this is a handy way to think.

L = Local Author Initiatives

I = International Book Marketing Techniques

S = Social Media

T = Technology

O = Other

F = Free

------------------------------------------------------------------

L = Local Author initiatives. This includes book signings, libraries, schools, author displays, author posters & bookmarks, reaching local media, local press releases.. and more.

I = International. This includes our Expo outreach to international publishers who may want your book for their country. This also includes selling ebooks around the world as we think that is going to be the biggest market in publishing in a few years.

S = Social Media. Facebook, Twitter, Blogging, and all the upcoming new internet ways of marketing to groups and 'tribes', Public Relations, Press Releases, Electronic Press Kits all feed the internet and social media.

T = Technology. Amazon Optimization, Author Domain Names, Article Submission, Audio Books, Ebooks, Kindle, Websites, Domain names, Search Engine Optimization, Author Video, Author Radio,

O = Other Ideas. Personal Assistant, and other ideas that help you succeed.

F = Free Ideas: Google Alerts, Contests, Public Appearances, Book Reviews, Contact Local Media. (We'll be constantly on the lookout for more of these, don't worry).

--------------------
Optout: To optout please forward this email to [email protected] ([email protected]). And of course realize that you have pretty much said 'no marketing for me", which is ok, but only if you plan to terminate. Our vision is to have a tribe of 1000 aggressively selling authors. We have 3000 published authors now.

Hmm, either pay for marketing or terminate. It just breaks my heart to part company with Bouncin' Bobby. *snerk*

Ink-Stained Wretch
06-15-2011, 10:06 AM
So if you pay them, they'll ... email your friends and family for you?

Shrouded
06-16-2011, 03:15 AM
Hey! Doesn't PA already do that for you for free?

James D. Macdonald
06-16-2011, 02:06 PM
The latest development in savvy marketing: Spam!

victoriastrauss
07-02-2011, 02:52 AM
Lawsuit update:

Oh dear, oh dear. All that PR'ing (http://strategicbookagency.com/main/), and it comes to naught (http://www.tmz.com/2011/07/01/the-situation-dad-lawsuit-mike-sorrentino-frank-sorrentino-apology-federal-court/). Frank Sorrentino has apologized (http://tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/newsdesk/tmz_documents/00701_situation_TMZ_WM.pdf) (and identified Fletcher as a "con artist"), and according to news reports, Fletcher has been ordered to pay $5,000.

Per the legal documents (which I've been accessing through PACER), the court granted the preliminary injunction (though not before Fletcher filed a counter-suit alleging defamation by the plaintiffs), and all parties subsequently reached a settlement (though not before Sorrentino and Fletcher each identified the other as the main actor in the affair).

Probably safe to say there will now be no "six figure" book deal...

- Victoria

C. K. Casner
07-03-2011, 03:04 AM
I'm not laughing, I swear.

*chuckle*

James D. Macdonald
10-05-2011, 11:45 AM
A Review of Strategic Book Publishing Group (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2362668/a_review_of_strategic_book_publishing.html?cat=3)

A first-person account from one of their minions.

WriterMomto3
10-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Thank you, Mr. MacDonald, for posting that link. I think Regina summed it up very nicely for those of us who worked for Robert Fletcher when she said, "Truthfully, I should have quit before it ever got this far, but jobs are hard to come by and I'm one of these people [who] believes in giving everyone the benefit of the doubt. After all, they had paid me a few times, eventually they would get the point and start paying me on time, right? Wrong! That was my mistake, I kept believing there had to be some good in the company and the owner. After all we are all having tough times financially, or so I thought."

When I first went to work for Robert, I knew very little about the company and had been personally asked to work there. This is a mistake I'll not make again, going forward I thoroughly research any business and/or person I work for. I worked for about a year before information began to come to light about Robert's business practices. I hung in there, thinking that those people had to be wrong. I bought into Robert's lines about how they just didn't like them and that they were frustrated writers. (My apologies to all of you...I know better now.) I was also confident in the knowledge that I was giving these authors honest services, I was doing quality work for them. I didn't know much beyond my own department (Robert makes sure of this).

I stayed through a few times of nonpayment when my pay was often five and six weeks behind. I believed the emails that said the company was suffering because of the economy and that if I stuck with them, they were going places and I'd be in for greater things. I left in December 2009, when Robert's detractors began to make too much sense and the Florida DA's office made its move. I will say that I received all the back pay that was owed to me.

It just makes me sad now that he continues to take advantage of people who do not know any better. He preys on their hopes and dreams. As Regina said, many of them are either elderly or young. All are hopeful.

Please, please, do your research, everyone. Do not sign anything until you know everything you can know about the person on the other end of the contract.

Thank you to all of you who continue to stand up for all of us.

China.blue
11-24-2011, 04:31 PM
I remember reading about certain issues regarding SBPRA. Are these issues still relevant or have they been resolved ?

regdog
11-24-2011, 04:54 PM
There is a thread here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101448)

waylander
11-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Very much relevant. Run away

IceCreamEmpress
11-25-2011, 06:03 AM
I remember reading about certain issues regarding SBPRA. Are these issues still relevant or have they been resolved ?

It's not like there are isolated issues that can be resolved there; the core problem is that the person running the "agency" is Robert Fletcher.
(http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/09/victoria-strauss-florida-attorney.html)

Unimportant
12-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Holy cow! I was browsing epic/historical fantasy e-books at Books on Board and came upon "The Hounds of Samaria (http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=viewbook&BOOK=1146935)". The cover looked okay, the first few sentences of the back cover copy looked okay, so I clicked on it to read more.

It's listed as being published by "Eloquent Books" but the cover copy includes a website by Strategic Publishing Group (http://www.strategicpublishinggroup.com/title/TheHoundsOfSamaria.html). And this would all be fine, except for the cover price: $794.21. Seven hundred and ninety four dollars. As you might guess, I most certainly will not be buying this book.

That, dear aspiring authors, is what will happen if you pay Strategic to publish your book.

JulieB
12-30-2011, 03:02 AM
As much as I'd like to slam Strategic on this one, I think it's an error. Here's the same book at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Hounds-Samaria-Nigel-Patten/dp/1609118367/ref=tmm_pap_title_0): $10.95 for the paperback and $2.99 for the Kindle edition. I wonder if the price where you found it was supposed to be $9.99 and someone made a data entry error.

DaveKuzminski
12-30-2011, 03:29 AM
That's a mighty big error...

Unimportant
12-30-2011, 04:12 AM
I reckon you're right, Julie: other books at that vendor by that publisher are $7.94. No idea who made the mistake -- publisher or vendor. Just a fluke that I happened on this book with the price error, I guess.

Gillhoughly
12-30-2011, 06:51 AM
The real error was the poor writer falling for Bouncing Bobby's sales pitch.

James D. Macdonald
12-30-2011, 08:22 AM
And this would all be fine, except for the cover price: $794.21. Seven hundred and ninety four dollars. As you might guess, I most certainly will not be buying this book.

Yes, Eloquent Books is another name for Strategic (and all the other names under which Bobby does business).

But the price there ... reminds me of another bizarre book pricing story. Observe: http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358

C. K. Casner
12-31-2011, 08:10 PM
When did the price of Eloquent books go down? I thought everything published by them were high like near or over the $20 mark.

Lucas
01-20-2012, 02:34 AM
I must admit that I was very near to sign a contract with them, handing over the large part of my savings. I could thank my lucky star that my suspicions arose over discrepancies in their e-mail addresses, so I checked out.

LindaJeanne
01-24-2012, 03:51 PM
I must admit that I was very near to sign a contract with them, handing over the large part of my savings. I could thank my lucky star that my suspicions arose over discrepancies in their e-mail addresses, so I checked out.
Glad you dodged the bulled :). Welcome!

Lucas
04-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Two months ago, I was nearly making one stupid mistake. I requested to write a contract with the SBPRA, but I never signed it. I learned about their tricking ways before it.

I sent a mail to their leader, saying I cannot send the payment (I don't like to call them out as frauds in an e-mail).

Now I received a demand for a payment (they haven't done any editing work for me).

If I break a contract I haven't even signed and sent back to them, can I be sued?

James D. Macdonald
04-11-2012, 08:33 PM
If I break a contract I haven't even signed and sent back to them, can I be sued?

Send all of the correspondence to the Florida Attorney General's Economic Crimes unit.

It'll be more evidence against Bouncing Bobby.

Lucas
04-11-2012, 08:42 PM
I don't know about the law, but they A) haven't done any work, and B) haven't received any undersigned contract from me. I don't know if they have broke the law, since I'm not a citizen of the State of Florida.

IceCreamEmpress
04-11-2012, 09:52 PM
"I owe you nothing, as you have performed no service for me and I have signed no contract with you. Any further correspondence from you will be directed to the Economic Crimes office of the Florida Attorney General."

James D. Macdonald
04-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Fletcher is a citizen of the State of Florida, and that's where he bases his scams. He is being investigated by the state's Attorney General for fraudulent business practices. I'm sure the AG would love to hear from you.

epullins
10-31-2012, 01:38 AM
I received an email from an literary ageny claiming that I had queried them and that they were accepting my work and wanted my full manuscript. I dont ever remember querying this company. I googled them and apparently they have changed their names numerous times over the course of several years. Do you guys know anything about these people.? Thanks

LaylahHunter
10-31-2012, 01:47 AM
Try this subforum: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=202

The short answer is STEER CLEAR AT ALL COSTS.

dsoul700
02-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Has anyone here ever heard of an agency called STRATEGIC BOOK PUBLISHING & RIGHTS AGENCY?

I sent them a query letter months back and they recently replied me with acceptance, but I'd like to know how reliable they are.

buz
02-07-2013, 07:42 AM
Here. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187645&page=3)

Doesn't look good.

Googling "strategic book publishing scam" turns up some results as well...

Susan Littlefield
02-07-2013, 07:48 AM
And here (http://pred-ed.com/pebs.htm).

Always check out publishers and/or agents before you query them.

My and Buzhidao's links are good ones to use for publisher/agent research.

Meems
02-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Has anyone here ever heard of an agency called STRATEGIC BOOK PUBLISHING & RIGHTS AGENCY?

I sent them a query letter months back and they recently replied me with acceptance, but I'd like to know how reliable they are.

So they didn't request the full manuscript but sent you an acceptance letter based on a query letter? I've never heard of a legitimate agent signing a client without even looking at their manuscript. That's all kinds of wrong.

What does the letter say? Is there a specific agent there that accepted you? Did they say anything about a contract or about calling and talking to you?

Cyia
02-07-2013, 07:53 AM
No matter the agent or agency, ALWAYS vet them by Googling [name] + SCAM before you send anything to them. It'll save you a lot of headaches down the line.

Terie
02-07-2013, 12:05 PM
It's one of the biggest scam agencies. It's under investigation by the Florida Attorney General. It's so big and bad that it doesn't just have a thread in the Bewares section of Absolute Write, there's an entire subforum (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=202).

Susan Littlefield
02-07-2013, 06:34 PM
I know i"m repeating myself, and even in the same thread, but it is so important to research our agents and publishers before submitting.

James D. Macdonald
02-08-2013, 12:42 AM
See also: Here. (http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/011510.html)

victoriastrauss
02-08-2013, 07:17 AM
And here (http://www.sfwa.org/for-authors/writer-beware/alerts/#Literary).

- Victoria

Parametric
10-07-2013, 11:22 PM
My mother had what sounds like a hilarious trainwreck of an encounter today with a Strategic Book Publishing author at her local library where she volunteers. He did his absolute best to persuade her to buy his book on Amazon while ordering her around like a skivvy. You can imagine how well this combination went down with Mama Parametric, who is possessed of a death stare like none other. :D

victoriastrauss
12-13-2013, 10:50 PM
SBPRA has just issued a press release (http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/12/prweb11416130.htm) touting its "best selling" books of 2013.

Let's take a look, shall we? (To spare too much embarrassment to the authors, who are victims in this scheme, I'll link to their books but won't write out their names or titles.)

SBPRA's "number one selling book in 2013" was this book (http://www.amazon.com/Hope-Urban-Schools-Love-Stories/dp/1618977229/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386959781&sr=1-1). It's available in paperback only, and as of this writing has an Amazon sales ranking of 1,408,946.

First runner up for beaucoup sales: this book (http://www.amazon.com/Still-Collection-Artwork-Writings-Grieving/dp/1609115864/ref=la_B003THALHI_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386960016&sr=1-1). Amazon ranking: 728,667 for print, 992,252 for Kindle. This is especially sad, given the book's subject. To add insult to injury, the buy button on the author's shitty SBPRA-created "author website" (which she paid for) links to someone else's book.

Second runner up: this book (http://www.amazon.com/The-Cold-Information-Technology-ebook/dp/B00C1NWL2E/). It's available on Kindle only, and has a sales ranking of 1,159,032.

In fourth place: this book (http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Years-Vaudeville-Pension-Happens/dp/160693385X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386960279&sr=1-1), available in hardcover only, with a sales ranking of 2,650,837. This author's shitty SBPRA-created website has a buy button that links to Paypal.

There's more, but you get the picture.

If these books were SBPRA's top sellers for the year, either a bestseller for SBPRA sells around one copy annually, or these "most-purchased" books were purchased only by their authors. Or, maybe, SBPRA just picked these books out of a hat.

- Victoria

James D. Macdonald
12-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Recall that Amazon numbers are meaningless.

Knowing Bobby, he didn't pick the titles out of a hat: he gave his victims a chance to be listed (for a small fee) and these are the poor slobs who ponied up.

Most of the reviews on those books are the typical self-published style: five star reviews from first-time/only-time reviewers clustered around a few dates. There's one three-star review (http://www.amazon.com/review/RDCKXM2GBEWRO/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1609115864&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=), though, that includes this:

Another reason I decided not to give this book to my friend is that the production is not good quality. In fact, it's not really a book - it's more of a pamphlet; it's only 60 pages and it doesn't even have a title on the spine. The pages feel thin and cheap. The artwork is in black and white, and so poorly reproduced that you can barely make out the images.