Queriying different books to different agents at the same agency

Kristoff

Registered
Reaction score
Bit of a mouthful for the subject header, sorry.

Okay. I have written a romance novel. I send a query to Agent X at Agency Z. She likes it, asks for a partial.

In the loooong drawn out space between queries and offers, I write another novel. This one is a thriller.

Agent X still has my romance partial. She doesn't do thrillers. However, agent Y (also at Agency Z) does thrillers.

Do I:

a) Send the thriller to agent Y (despite already having a partial with agent X)
b) Send the thriller to agent X (despite still awaiting feedback on my romance, risking coming off as pushy and also considering agent X doesn't 'do' thrillers)
c) Something else?

Advice appreciated.

Edit: D'oh, typo in header. Nice work, Poindexter.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're best not to query a second agent at the same agency until the first one is done with you. Or if you're determined to go ahead, mention in your letter that you have another book under consideration with the other agent.

Of course, all this could be covered in the agency's submission guidelines, which might be worth referring to.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
b) Send the thriller to agent X (despite still awaiting feedback on my romance, risking coming off as pushy and also considering agent X doesn't 'do' thrillers)

I wouldn't do that, because this agent doesn't represent novels in this genre. However, if you end up signing with this agent, you will want to let her know about you thriller book and see what she says.