Does anyone survive???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for that rather dramatic title :Shrug:

I've just started re-writing a part of my book. Does anyone survive?

It sucks! I'm getting more depressed by the second! Why do writers have to do this?

Oh and sorry if this is posted in the wrong area. I'm still kind of new at this :flag:

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
The cutting out of characters. I was kind of stuck on a certain part and it struck me that two of the characters were completely useless. So.....I cut them out. But they were my two favorite characters!

I'm kind of overreacting. i was just thinking of before when I would write whatever I wanted whether it worked or not. : P

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Ah! I've just cut - not killed - a character myself. She's not dead...she's just not living where I'm writing just now.

Save unused characters to a separate file and keep them for another project where you can make them shine. If they are good, they will find a way. If what you have written for them is good, do not delete it before you save the work for later use.

:)

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. They're not dead, they just had no purpose at the events where they were. I think I can include them in the second book, but it still kind of sucks.

They were the two cutest characters! *sigh* I'm just worried about further cuts.....

Part of being a writer I guess.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

Now I've hit a wall in my plot. Wow, I'm not very lucky today.

Oh well. Thanks everyone! I'm not so sad anymore! lol

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
That's silly, don't do it unless an editor at a publishing house tells you to do that.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
And how do you expect someone to find an editor if the book has major flaws such as unnecessary characters and what not? Seriously, it's good that the OP is able to recognize that there are flaws and remedy them now. She's finding plot issues and sorting them out and not falling into the traps many writers do of either not editing or of only revising phrasing issues. Being able to do these things will help her have the best story she can possibly present to the editors, which will increase her chances. :)

Good luck! And cutting fun things definitely sucks, but I agree. Give them their own story. :D

TWErvin2

Raises Turtles in his Basement
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ervin-author.com
The two cut characters? Consider it (their departure) a noble sacrifice to make the book better.

Really, they're just a tool or device to convey the story to the reader, but if they're interesting, as others have said, they may have a place in another, future work.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Sorry for that rather dramatic title :Shrug:

I've just started re-writing a part of my book. Does anyone survive?

It sucks! I'm getting more depressed by the second! Why do writers have to do this?

Oh and sorry if this is posted in the wrong area. I'm still kind of new at this :flag:

We are responsible for making our work the best that we can make it before we attempt to land an agent or a publishing contract. If you're not up for doing that, you're in the wrong business. Rewrites are necessary at times and editing is always necessary. Send your first draft out to the publishing world and see what happens.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I know I had to cut them out. The parts they were in just seemed random and out of place in the story. Like I said; no point with them being there, because they don't contribute.

There was one big scene that one of the characters was in that I have to rewrite now, but for the most part, the book is coming along a lot better.

Thanks for the support!!

Status
Not open for further replies.