Querying agents with a sequel?

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
(Apologies if this has been answered in a previous thread. My search brought up a bunch of questions about series, but not this particular issue.)

I currently have two books that I'm polishing with the aim of using one to attract an agent.

"Reaper2" (not the final name ;) ) is a sequel to my already sold humorous urban fantasy novella, A Reaper's Tale. "Solus" is a high fantasy with no prequels/sequels already available.

I believe that Reaper2 is a much better book than Solus, but I'm unsure as to whether it being a sequel could put off agents. It's written in such a way as the reader does not have to have read the first book, but I worry that the fact that another book in the series is "out there" already with another publisher may put off agents and interested publishers.

Are my worries unfounded, or would this be an issue like I thought? Should I throw Solus out there even though Reaper2 is better "bait"?

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

ETA - Also, if I was to query with Reaper2, how would I broach the subject of it being a sequel?

Last edited:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Read your contract with the published book...there may be a "first refusal" clause, wherein you're required to submit the sequel to your current publisher before sending it anywhere else.

rmgil04

In re-write limbo!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersinprogresswip.blogspot.com
I believe that Reaper2 is a much better book than Solus, but I'm unsure as to whether it being a sequel could put off agents. It's written in such a way as the reader does not have to have read the first book, but I worry that the fact that another book in the series is "out there" already with another publisher may put off agents and interested publishers.

ETA - Also, if I was to query with Reaper2, how would I broach the subject of it being a sequel?

Two questions:

1) How did Solus sell? If you sold thousands that may impress an agent. If not, see question 2.

2) Can Reaper 2 stand alone? If the answer to question one is that you Solus didn't sell well, this means an agent probably won't be interested in the sequel if the reader needed Solus to understand Reaper 2. Does that make any sense?

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Read your contract with the published book...there may be a "first refusal" clause, wherein you're required to submit the sequel to your current publisher before sending it anywhere else.

My contract has no first refusal clause.

Two questions:

1) How did Solus sell? If you sold thousands that may impress an agent. If not, see question 2.

2) Can Reaper 2 stand alone? If the answer to question one is that you Solus didn't sell well, this means an agent probably won't be interested in the sequel if the reader needed Solus to understand Reaper 2. Does that make any sense?

I assume you mean A Reaper's Tale, the first of the Reaper books. Solus is the other book (completely different story/characters/world etc) that I'd submit instead of Reaper 2. :) Sorry if I wasn't clear.

So far, my statements haven't told me a great deal in terms of sales (the larger sellers [amazon etc] are slow to pay apparently).

Reaper 2 stands alone, and a reader wouldn't even have to be aware of the first book's existence. ;)

Thanks!

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but from what I've read about the publisher of (what I presume is) Book One, it seems to have been published by a respectable, but small, and mainly, epublisher, which does not require agented submissions. I can't imagine an agent wanting to go down that road, and breaking up a series seems like a whole other challenge. As I said, I don't know for sure, but I can't figure out how the cost-effectiveness would work out for the agent, unless you have another property s/he's super interested in. And even still. The agent may just want to take on only that.

I'd try to take a little time and make Solus as attractive as Reaper2, and then query that. If you land an agent, you can explain the situation with Reaper2 and get his/her opinion on how to proceed. Perhaps your agent will suggest you turn Reaper2 into a stand alone first book. Also, assuming there's no breach of trust or faith, perhaps you can still pitch the sequel to the original publisher?

GB

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have said - I wouldn't be submitting book 2 to the same publisher. I want to go the traditional route first. :)

The question boils down to this - Would an agent be less interested in taking on and selling a book that was the second in a series (not to the same pub as book 1)?

Last edited:

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
You could always change the title, the characters' names, and pretend it's a new book.

Nicole

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know you said that Book Two doesn't require Book One to be understood, but can you turn it into a first novel, do you think? (Not *your* first novel- sorry, I may be slow on my terminology but, a first novel in a series, or a stand alone.) If so, I'd query it as a stand alone novel, maybe even mention that it draws upon the previously published book REAPERS1 (assuming you're comfortable with the publisher of Book One. If you've got concerns, I wouldn't mention it until an offer has been made ETA: At this point).

Splitting up a series between pubs seems difficult to me at this stage, but the fact that you say the book can exist without the first is hopeful. But, still. I'd hope you can get SOLUS into fighting form and then discuss REAPERS2 with your agent at the appropriate time, or sell it to the pub that bought the first book, if the relationship is good.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I know you said that Book Two doesn't require Book One to be understood, but can you turn it into a first novel, do you think? (Not *your* first novel- sorry, I may be slow on my terminology but, a first novel in a series, or a stand alone.) If so, I'd query it as a stand alone novel, maybe even mention that it draws upon the previously published book REAPERS1 (assuming you're comfortable with the publisher of Book One. If you've got concerns, I wouldn't mention it until an offer has been made ETA: At this point).

Splitting up a series between pubs seems difficult to me at this stage, but the fact that you say the book can exist without the first is hopeful. But, still. I'd hope you can get SOLUS into fighting form and then discuss REAPERS2 with your agent at the appropriate time, or sell it to the pub that bought the first book, if the relationship is good.

Thanks for taking the time to reply again, GB. :)

As it is, Reaper2 is practically a first novel already. While there are some references to the first book, they are minor, and no prior knowledge whatsoever is needed before reading it. You would gain nothing extra from reading the first that would increase understanding in the second. (I think maybe when writing it, I knew this may be an issue in the future ;) )

I am comfortable with the publisher of book 1. They're great people. :) I would just prefer to start at the top and work down with this one. The reason I didn't with the first is that it is a novella.

As for Solus, I honestly believe that Reaper2 is superior on most every front. Don't get me wrong though. If I had to sub it instead, I would, though only after I was certain it was ready. Once I'd given it a harsh edit and a round of betas to make sure it wasn't all in my head. ;)

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

This is what I'm thinking too. The way the Da Vinci Code was the one that most people read first, even though it actually was a sequel to Angels and Demons. You didn't need to read A&D to get DVC, and because of the success of DVC, A&D became a big book too.

I'm not totally sure, though, since you have those characters and world in book form right now.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Anything in book 2 that leads on from something in book 1 is explained, and as such, reading the second without reading the first wouldn't affect the reader's experience. :)

It's 3.20 am here, so I'm off to doze. Thanks to all who have already posted. It's much appreciated. :)

I'll check in again once I'm conscious. ;)

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
Does it have to be packaged as a sequel? I mean, if it stands alone can't you package it as a stand alone and then if you land an agent/trad. pub, you can indicate on your website or blog that there is another novella out there with the same characters?

I have a novella published at a small e-pub and the novel that my agent and I are working on has characters who are mentioned in that novella. Both books take place in the same world. My agent said that it's not really an issue (like she's not even going to mention it) because in the end, if I get my novel published the tradional route readers will find the other novella and make the connection and she doesn't think that's a bad thing.

I know my situation isn't the same as yours but if you sell it as the first book in a series why does anyone have to know that your small pub book was really the first?

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Does it have to be packaged as a sequel? I mean, if it stands alone can't you package it as a stand alone and then if you land an agent/trad. pub, you can indicate on your website or blog that there is another novella out there with the same characters?

I have a novella published at a small e-pub and the novel that my agent and I are working on has characters who are mentioned in that novella. Both books take place in the same world. My agent said that it's not really an issue (like she's not even going to mention it) because in the end, if I get my novel published the tradional route readers will find the other novella and make the connection and she doesn't think that's a bad thing.

I know my situation isn't the same as yours but if you sell it as the first book in a series why does anyone have to know that your small pub book was really the first?

You make a good point. Thanks for taking the time! :)

Go with standalone

Thanks! :)