PDA

View Full Version : Twenty films that make men cry

Shakesbear
08-01-2010, 07:05 PM
From the BBC site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10814813

I found myself nodding at some of the comments and shaking my head at others. I cry at anything though. Just wondered if any AWers, irrespective of gender, had any film that made them cry.

Fellowship of the Ring - I sob when Boromir is killed. Return of the King, Viggo Mortensen singing brings tears to my eyes.

Sense and Sensibility - the bit where Marianne is very ill and Brandon asks what he can do to help. Gets me every time.

scarletpeaches
08-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Oh, man. John Coffey saying "I'm afraid of the dark," gets me every fucking time.

Oh, and The Passion of the Christ when Peter's and Jesus' eyes meet after Peter's denied him.

The English Patient. The End of the Affair. Gladiator.

There are so many scenes in Gandhi but chief among them are the 'secret vow in our hearts' scene where one by one, the men stand up. Also when each row steps forward and the men on horses beat them back. Another row steps forward. They get beaten back. And when Gandhi goes to make salt. Or when he insists, "I am a Christian! I am a Jew!" Or...or...good God, I adore that film.

Sophia
08-01-2010, 07:18 PM
I was thinking of posting about this, too. :) I agree with a lot of the moments on that list.

One film that made me cry unexpectedly was In the Name of the Father (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0107207/). I went and saw it in the cinema, and was welling up practically all the way through. I must have been in a very strange mood that day. :D

More normally, it's emotional moments in long-running shows that often get to me. There are several scenes in Scrubs, for examples, which I've seen dozens of times and am prepared for, but still make my throat tighten up.

scarletpeaches
08-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Oh yes! When he says, "I'm walking out the front." I choke at that part, where he walks out a free man.

Actually it starts when Emma Thompson holds up the post-it and shouts, "NOT TO BE SHOWN TO THE DEFENCE."

Shadow_Ferret
08-01-2010, 07:20 PM
I'd have to say, No. None of those made me cry. I really didn't even like any of them.

Shakesbear
08-01-2010, 07:26 PM
I'd have to say, No. None of those made me cry. I really didn't even like any of them.

Are there any films that have made you cry?

To Kill a Mockingbird, when the Rev Sykes says "Jean Louise. Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passing." The simple dignity of that one line ...

(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056592/quotes?qt0425286)

robeiae
08-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Field of Dreams, no doubt. Gladiator, too.

But the kicker for me is Kramer vs. Kramer, the last scene when the dad and his boy are making French toast in silence, just before the mom comes to take him away. I'm almost crying now, just thinking about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJzPveOGKe0

Starts at 1:55

Some of the ones on that list, though...come on.

scarletpeaches
08-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Field of Dreams always does a number on me too. But it's not the whole father thing, it's when Lancaster says "No, the real tragedy would be if I never got to be a doctor."

DavidZahir
08-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Yeah, Boromir's death in Fellowship of the Ring.

And when Oskar's head emerges from the water in Let The Right One In, and who he sees there.

Call me a softee, but when Grinch's heart grows three sizes in How The Grinch Stole Christmas.

"Ride now! Ride--Riders of Theoden!" in Return of the King.

The final scene in Fingersmith.

The final monologue before the end credits in 300.

The ending of The Dark Knight, as he takes up a burden no one should have to and a father explains to his son why this must be so.

"I guess just another lost cause..." from Mr. Smith Goes To Washington.

The whole final sequence in Blade Runner, especially the Director's Cut ("...tears in the rain..." the origami, and the door shuts after them both...)

PGaritas
08-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Dances with Wolves, the ending with Wind in his Hair screaming repeatedly from the cliff top: "Do you know I am your friend? Do you know I will always be your friend?"

Fuggedaboutit. I'm tearing up just typing it.

Jersey Chick
08-01-2010, 07:57 PM
My husband cried at the end of Saving Private Ryan. It's the only time I've ever seen that. Wrecked my brother, too. It chokes me up as well.

For me, the end of Field of Dreams - when Ray asks his dad to have a catch. It gets me...

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Always, with Richard Dreyfus and Holly Hunter. When he talks to her and dances with her, after he's dead. I went to see this one in the theater rather than wait for it to come out on DVD - didn't think I'd make it from my seat to the car, I was crying that hard.

Any movie in which an animal dies or almost dies: Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, Bambi, Marley and Me, Black Beauty, Thomasina... Ol' Boy's guaranteed to puddle up, too, when an animal is involved.

Dumbo, 'Baby Mine' song. Good gods!

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison, the scene where he's telling her 'goodbye'... "What we've missed, Lucia... oh, what we've missed."

Camelot, Richard Harris: When we realize that everything Guinevere thought she wanted when she sang her little song at the beginning has come to pass and it's not so wonderful as she thought it would be.

Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol: 'A hand for each hand was planned for the world. Why don't my fingers reach? Millions of grains of sand in the world, why such a lonely beach?'

Ken Burns' documentary, 'The Civil War': Sullivan Balloo's letter to his wife, read with 'Ashoken Farewell' played in the background.

Lonesome Dove: the theme music alone gets our waterworks going... it's inextricably tied to the scene wherein Gus dies... OMG.

Yeah... Lord of the Rings, in several places. Where Gandalf tells Frodo we have to do the best we can with what we're given; and when Gandalf is telling Pip what it was like to cross over; and when Sam says, "If I take one more step, it'll be the farthest from home I've ever been."; and when Sam tells Frodo, "I can't carry the ring; but I can carry you."; and... and... and...

And, believe it or not, Star Trek: The Search for Spock, when the self-destruct sequence is done and the ship is streaking across the sky, dying... I can take it now, but the first time, I got all misty eyed and chin quivery.

Gosh... I can go on for days... Last Time I Saw Paris; Long Gray Line; Out of Africa; Since You Went Away; Three Came Home; Wuthering Heights...

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Oh, my. Saving Private Ryan. Yes. Ol' Boy and I saw that one at a $1 showing - us and three other couples, all didn't know one another, but the men in each of the other couples were all WWII veterans. Talk about hard...

And the Grinch! How could I forget the Grinch? And Toy Story. Amazing how animators and writers know juuuuuust how to twist those tear ducts, eh?

Paul
08-01-2010, 08:19 PM
My list

Sex and the City.

The Princess Diaries.

Maid in Manhattan

Divine Secrets of the Ya-YA Sisterhood.

The Prince of Tides

Crossroads

Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants

Even a mention of one of these movies brings a tear to my eye...

AnonymousWriter
08-01-2010, 08:21 PM
I am ashamed to say it, but I've never cried at a film.

Apart from when I watched Bambi and the mum deer died. :( But I was only four at the time, so that doesn't really count.

Regan Leigh
08-01-2010, 08:23 PM
I still haven't seen UP because I knew it would make me sob.

I hate going to the theater to see sad movies. It's much easier to bawl at home. ;)

Lady Ice
08-01-2010, 08:37 PM
People who don't cry or at least get teary at Kes must be heartless. Also Babe makes me really sad. Children's films are some of the saddest.

KTC
08-01-2010, 08:39 PM
every other movie i watch makes me cry...so i don't really count.

Paul
08-01-2010, 08:46 PM
People who don't cry or at least get teary at Kes must be heartless. Also Babe makes me really sad. Children's films are some of the saddest.

Actually I forgot about Kes -one of the best movies ever. gets me everytime.

Chris P
08-01-2010, 09:02 PM
"Snoopy Come Home (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoopy,_Come_Home)." I haven't seen it in 30 years and I'm afraid to.

Paul
08-01-2010, 09:12 PM
"Snoopy Come Home (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoopy,_Come_Home)." I haven't seen it in 30 years and I'm afraid to.

:snoopy:
my third Snoopy since i joined, second one today.
I feel your pain.

Maryn
08-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Nobody's yet mentioned when you think E.T. has died! I felt angry at being so obviously manipulated, but that didn't stop the tears. And what about Brian's Song?

Lots of good ones named already, and lots which didn't move me the way they did other people. So be it.

But the all-time weepiest has got to be Testament.

Maryn, thinking the end of the world is indeed sad

Shadow_Ferret
08-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Are there any films that have made you cry?

Old Yeller. Lassie Come Home. Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey. Turner and Hootch.

My husband cried at the end of Saving Private Ryan. It's the only time I've ever seen that. Wrecked my brother, too. It chokes me up as well.

I felt anger and betrayal at the end of that.

Chris P
08-01-2010, 09:35 PM
I teared up in "The Full Monty" when the heavy guy is caught by his wife hiding out and he says "Look at me! Who wants to see that?" She looks at him and says "I do!"

Also, "Good Will Hunting" when Robin Williams keeps repeating to Matt Damon "It's not your fault."

Halfway through "Meet the Spartans" when I realized I would never get the money or the time back.

Sage
08-01-2010, 09:46 PM
That was a very odd selection of movies.

The movies that definitely make my dad cry are White Christmas and Rudy.

Shakesbear
08-02-2010, 02:48 AM
Reading all the posts here I think I should have started a thread about all the films I haven't seen! Private Ryan, Gladiator, Dances with Wolves to name just a few.

Jersey Chick
08-02-2010, 02:55 AM
I refuse to watch Dances with Wolves. The book made me cry like a baby.

Generally, anything with animals in it makes me cry. I'm such a weenie.

Miss Plum
08-02-2010, 03:39 AM
Children's films are some of the saddest.
So true and so ironic. And have you noticed, a lot of the teariest are Disney? Bambi, Dumbo (hell to the YES it's sad when Mrs. Jumbo tries to comfort Dumbo through cage bars), Old Yeller, Thomasina, even Mary Poppins! And didn't anyone here choke up a little at Toy Story 3?

Anyway, I've always gotten a little choked up at the scenes in The Snake Pit where Virginia is recalling her sad girlhood, wanting her Daddy's love.

And, um . . . Love Story.

scarletpeaches
08-02-2010, 03:41 AM
Shakespeare in Love.

The look on his face when Viola's on stage is just...wow. Erotic and sad and...dammit, no-one has eyes like Joseph Fiennes.

Miss Plum
08-02-2010, 03:46 AM
omg I just remembered the most tear-a-licious film I've ever seen: the 1951 version of The Browning Version. Rent it at your peril.

Mr Flibble
08-02-2010, 04:05 AM
Two things only that can be guaranteed to make Old Man cry:

'I am and always shall be your friend' speech by Spock when he's dying and ..Truly, Madly, Deeply chokes him.

scarletpeaches
08-02-2010, 04:07 AM
Australia.

"We can't say her name no more, little mate."

Zoombie
08-02-2010, 04:09 AM
I still can't watch Sleeping in the Light, the last Babylon 5 episode.

Fuck, I can't THINK about Sleeping in the Light without wanting to cry.

kuwisdelu
08-02-2010, 04:24 AM
End of Eva and a certain episode of Californication.

Zoombie
08-02-2010, 04:37 AM
Also the climax of the first season of Exo-Squad, when the Resilient got blown up by the Neo-Sapians. Seriously, for a kid's show, Exo-Squad has a lot of genocide, death, warfare, and semi-accurate science.

orion_mk3
08-02-2010, 05:05 AM
That's an interesting list; I've seen about half the movies the BBC lists, and about half of them elicited an emotional reaction (not always crying; "The Notebook" made me retch).

I've teared up from time to time when watching certain films, but I don't count a movie unless it starts the waterworks consistently. Tom Hanks in pain is always a good bet; I can't watch Saving Private Ryan or Cast Away without blubbering. The finale of Lord of the Rings seems a popular choice and it affects me too. Pixar often destroys me, especially Up. Even as an adult, I can't help but bawl during The Land Before Time (http://xkcd.com/233/) either.

Ineti
08-02-2010, 05:12 AM
Great movies on that list and in the thread. Here are a few more that made me well up and/or cry outright.

Schindler's List
Contact
Titanic
Star Trek II, Spock's death scene
The ending of Leon (The Professional)
Apollo 13

BenPanced
08-02-2010, 06:12 AM
Thelma And Louise.

Lock. Thread.

Mistress Elysia
08-02-2010, 03:12 PM
More normally, it's emotional moments in long-running shows that often get to me. There are several scenes in Scrubs, for examples, which I've seen dozens of times and am prepared for, but still make my throat tighten up.

Those Scrubs episodes with Brendan Fraser in make me cry like a baby...

One of the worst ones for me was The Mist. I loved the novella and thought the film as a great adaptation - but the end was such a gut punch that I think I cried for about half an hour afterwards (being 8 months pregnant at the time didn't help I am sure, but jeez-sus!)

Edward Scissorhands also makes me sob uncontrollably.

Paul
08-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Also, "Good Will Hunting" when Robin Williams keeps repeating to Matt Damon "It's not your fault."

Family guy do a nice tribute to that. honest. it's actually respectful. for Family Guy.

Diana Hignutt
08-02-2010, 03:45 PM
LOTR's has too many endings to tear me up, I'm sad to say.

Movies that I have cried from:

- Titanic
- Mullholland Drive
- The Perfect Storm (I know too many people who have died while fishing)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-02-2010, 04:10 PM
But the all-time weepiest has got to be Testament.

Maryn, thinking the end of the world is indeed sad

Ah, Testament! I had forgotten that one... yeah, I cried like a baby. But, at the same time, it certainly was a testament to the resiliency, stubbornness, and absolute refusal to surrender of the human race. The birthday celebration. Taking the batteries from the answering machine. Um. Yeah.

Said The Sun
08-02-2010, 04:31 PM
When it comes to Disney movies, The Lion King takes the cake for me.

All the above mentioned are good. But how about some international movies?

Il Postino, The Postman (you know the one about Pablo Neruda teaching the ignorant postman how to create good metaphors)

Mar Adentro, The Sea Inside (you know he's going to die in the first two minutes of film and yet you sit there for the next two hours hoping for a miracle.)

La Vita Bella, Life is Beautiful (When he marches happily away from his son, even knowing he's about to get shot in the face.)

--
And Titanic probably doesn’t even need to be mentioned, but I always start bawling on the same part; when Jack puts Rose on the lifeboat and she's getting lowered into the ocean, and Celine Dion is doing her thing... “Rose! You're so stupid. Why did you do that, huh? You're so stupid, Rose. Why did you do that? Why?”
“You jump, I jump, right?”
Ahhhhhh. Gets me every time.

android415
08-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Oh, Lion King absolutely. When Scar pushes Mufasa off the ledge and goes "Long live the King."

:o tears.

Also, Bridge to Terabithia was REALLY sad. I make a point not to see sad movies, but I was tricked into seeing this one. My friend recommended it to me and hid the twist very cleverly from me. So, it felt like I got punched in the face when she died.

I was sniffling going "BUT WHY?" To this day, I don't know why, and it makes me angry.

seun
08-02-2010, 04:54 PM
The Mist: Not quite the end of it but a few minutes before that - mainly because I knew what was coming and because of the music.

Highlander: "Good night, my bonnie Heather."

28 Days Later: Frank.

Butch & Sundance: you know exactly which bit.

And OK, it's not a film but the end of Blackadder 4 kills me every fucking time.

shakeysix
08-02-2010, 05:06 PM
my dad was a ww2 vet--a marine in the south pacific. he piloted an amphibious tractor onto some fun beaches, like iwo jima and tarrawa. my father in law was a tailgunner stationed in sicily. any war movie made my dad cry so we never watched war movies in our house. even now war movies--even the civil war--make me uncomfortable because i remember my dad crying.--s6

Shadow Dragon
08-02-2010, 05:20 PM
The ending to V for Vendetta, when a lot of the people in Guy Faux masks take them off to reveal that they're the ones that died. Plus the letter that Evey rides while locked up always gets to me.

stormie
08-02-2010, 05:38 PM
.... Ken Burns' documentary, 'The Civil War': Sullivan Balloo's letter to his wife, read with 'Ashoken Farewell' played in the background.
This.

Jcomp
08-02-2010, 05:45 PM
I haven't cried as an adult at any movies, but I've had plenty of flicks come close. I caught Forrest Gump for the millionth time on TV the other day, and the scene when Forrest finds out he has a kid and he gets choked up asking whether or not the boy is smart, that gets to me much more than any of the deaths or other melodrama that is loaded in the film.

Mistress Elysia
08-02-2010, 06:26 PM
And OK, it's not a film but the end of Blackadder 4 kills me every fucking time.
Oh god, yes. When I teach Private Peaceful, I use that episode as an example of what WWI was really like, and no matter how many times I use it, I always have to either leave the room, drink water convulsively (drown that lump!) or just apologise to the kids, give in and have a little cry.

Gravity
08-02-2010, 07:40 PM
The end scene in August Rush, where August is in Central Park conducting the orchestra, and they're playing the work he wrote to try to call the parents he never knew to him. And then as the final movement swells in triumph and he looks over his shoulder and sees them in the audience, smiling at him, and the kid just looks up to the heavens and beams...caramba.

milly
08-02-2010, 07:44 PM
my husband tears up when he watches Rudy, Hoosiers, Awakenings (with Deniro as the guy with Parkinsons), and at Pixar flicks like Finding Nemo at the beginning and Up of course...who doesn't cry at that movie

maxmordon
08-02-2010, 07:50 PM
About Schmidt Gosh, the letter scene at the end kills me.

10,000 A.C. I paid full movie ticket to see this piece of crap! Plus cab fare coming and going, PLUS lunch before going in! BAWWW!

hitchhiker
08-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Shamefully Forrest Gump does it near the end (several scenes), but mostly it's war/sports/true story movies. I didn't agree with many on that list. Didn't see several on the list. Off the top of my head, and again let me say that even as a cynical, middle-aged fellow, after having children some things get to me that did not use to affect me:

Saving Private Ryan, Brian's Song, Rudy, The Prince of Tides, Field of Dreams, The Notebook (may lose my man card on that one), Ghost, Ray (if you held it together during the scene where Ray's going blind as a child and his mother won't answer him - to teach him to be independent - then you've got a heart of freakin' stone.)

There are others, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Mr Flibble
08-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Highlander: "Good night, my bonnie Heather."

Ah yes, that gets him teary eyed too...

That's because it's so fucking awesome. Yes, I cry too.

Shadow_Ferret
08-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Oh, I forgot "It's a Wonderful Life." No matter how many times I've seen it, the ending gets me every time.

I haven't cried as an adult at any movies, but I've had plenty of flicks come close.

I wonder if there's a gender miscommunication as to what cry means to a man. I have never cried out loud at any movie I've ever seen, even as a child. For me, crying means my eyes get a little watery and maybe, in extreme cases, my throat tightens up. But nothing more than that. Because I've seen some women openly weep at movies, with real tears and sobbing sounds and dabbing the face with hankies. I have never done that for a movie. Not even close. That sort of depth of emotion is reserved for real life, like when my dog was put to sleep.

kuwisdelu
08-02-2010, 11:20 PM
But nothing more than that. Because I've seen some women openly weep at movies, with real tears and sobbing sounds and dabbing the face with hankies. I have never done that for a movie. Not even close. That sort of depth of emotion is reserved for real life, like when my dog was put to sleep.

Sometimes a film can speak to one's real personal life in such a way to evoke such an emotion. That's the only time I've really cried from a movie. My eyes have gotten watery plenty of other times.

backslashbaby
08-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Sophie's Choice. OMG, I not only cried, but I forgot I drove and left my car at the theatre overnight.

And The Crying Game. Just one that hasn't been mentioned.

Jcomp
08-03-2010, 01:25 AM
I wonder if there's a gender miscommunication as to what cry means to a man. I have never cried out loud at any movie I've ever seen, even as a child. For me, crying means my eyes get a little watery and maybe, in extreme cases, my throat tightens up. But nothing more than that. Because I've seen some women openly weep at movies, with real tears and sobbing sounds and dabbing the face with hankies. I have never done that for a movie. Not even close. That sort of depth of emotion is reserved for real life, like when my dog was put to sleep.

For me, even my one "cry" was just tears. No jerking sobs or anything audible. And I was five-years-old. And Optimus Prime had just died and turned some sort of rusty green color within the first 15 minutes of the original film version of The Transformers. I will forever maintain that it was fully justified!

The only other time I got truly watery-eyed as a kid was during The Never Ending Story, both when the horse drowned in the freaking swamp of sadness and when the rock biter gave the "good strong hands" speech. My mom says I cried over the whole Sesame Street "I'll miss you Mr. Hooper" thing when she helped explain it to me, but I say that without any evidence or recollection on behalf of the alleged crier it never happened.

But yeah, I get sad and my throat might knot up, but I don't get watery-eyed.

Shadow_Ferret
08-03-2010, 01:28 AM
Optimus Prime dying. Dude, I can sympathize. :)

TerzaRima
08-03-2010, 02:04 AM
Field of Dreams always does a number on me too. But it's not the whole father thing, it's when Lancaster says "No, the real tragedy would be if I never got to be a doctor."

Mmhm. When he steps out of the cornfield with his old fashioned black bag and walks over to the little girl. I don't even really like that movie, but that scene gives me the chills.

The Incredible Journey: Homeward Bound, near the end, when the old dog comes over the hill.

They should use Dumbo as an interrogation tool for suspected terrorists. My niece went through a Dumbo craze and we had to watch it and watch it and she would not permit any fast forwarding through the pathos. "What's wrong, Auntie Terza?" Nothing, kiddo. ((choking with sobs))

It's A Wonderful Life, when Clarence takes George Bailey to the cemetery and he sees his brother's gravestone. "Every man on that transport died because you weren't there to save Harry."

Black Beauty.

Certain scenes of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind made me cry even though it's not a particularly emotional film--for example, the one where Jim Carrey goes in to the waiting room of the guy who makes a profession out of erasing memories. The camera pans around the room and the people in it, and in the silence you get an idea of their stories and why they might want to forget about their lives. It was heartbreaking.

jennontheisland
08-03-2010, 02:15 AM
I'm with the Ferret on this one. Not a single one of these has made me cry. In fact, most of them I got bored part way through.

And that last scene of the last Lord of the Rings movie: "oh for fucks' sake, kiss him and get it over with"

StoryG27
08-03-2010, 02:22 AM
every other movie i watch makes me cry...so i don't really count. You must be like my Hubs. :D Although, since the definition of "cry" has come into question, I will specify that Hubby's eyes get watery, and that's about it. What is strange, he doesn't cry about anything IRL. *shrug*
Rarely, RARELY will I cry in a movie. And the few times I have make no sense so I won't even mention them.

Carlene
08-03-2010, 03:06 AM
Oh, I'm having a brain fart but...the one with Shirley MacLaine who fought with her daughter all through the movie and then the daughter dies of cancer at the end? Jack Nicholson and...Debra....Oy, I hate this - HELP. Anyhow, the only time I saw my big strong stoic hubby tear up in a move. Of course I cried buckets.

Carlene

Renee Collins
08-03-2010, 03:19 AM
Reading this thread is getting me choked up. That's how bad I am. I swear I have an overactive empathy gland or something.

robeiae
08-03-2010, 03:27 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Dirty Dozen yet.

Shadow_Ferret
08-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Oh, man! When Jim Brown gets killed?

robeiae
08-03-2010, 03:30 AM
*sobs uncontrollably*

Shadow_Ferret
08-03-2010, 03:34 AM
There, there, Rob. Jim Brown didn't really die. Just his career.

shakeysix
08-03-2010, 04:03 AM
gallipoli-back when mel wasn't an a******

Shakesbear
08-03-2010, 04:18 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Dirty Dozen yet.

I'm not!

The Magnificent Seven though ... gulp ...

I'm fascinated by the way people react to films - what leaves some totally cold makes others weep buckets.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Oh, I'm having a brain fart but...the one with Shirley MacLaine who fought with her daughter all through the movie and then the daughter dies of cancer at the end? Jack Nicholson and...Debra....Oy, I hate this - HELP. Anyhow, the only time I saw my big strong stoic hubby tear up in a move. Of course I cried buckets.

Carlene

That would be 'Terms of Endearment'.

Eddyz Aquila
08-03-2010, 05:19 AM
I fully agree with the Tom and Jerry cartoon.

kuwisdelu
08-03-2010, 07:28 AM
Ironically, I'm more likely to cry from fiction than real life.

AuburnAssassin
08-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Agree with this from the article linked:

19. My Life as A Dog, a Swedish film that observes a 12-year-old boy, Ingemar, struggling with life with a terminally ill mother and an absent father as well as meeting all the normal developments that life presents us. The tear-jerker for me is how Ingemar tries to come to terms with the story of Laika (a theme that runs through the whole film), a dog sent to space with a guaranteed death sentence. Ingemar consoles himself constantly with "life could be worse" - [I'm] in tears now. Haunting movie.

Others:
The Incredible Journey (yes, the old dog showing up...finally)
I Am Legend (when he has to kill his dog)
Life is Beautiful (when the father is killed)
Terms of Endearment (when Shirley MacLaine is screaming at the nurses to give Debra Winger her pain shot)
Steel Magnolias (when Julia Roberts has a diabetic episode and messes up her hair and when Sally Field has a hissy fit at her grave--thank goodness for Shirley MacLaine to break up the tears with laughter)
Sense and Sensibility (when stoic Emma Thompson finally breaks down and cries in front of Marianne/Kate Winslet)
Remains of the Day (when Emma Thompson rides off in the bus waving goodbye to Anthony Hopkins)
Brian's Song
Schindler's List ("I could have saved more..." and the little girl in the red coat)
Empire of the Sun (when a very young Christian Bale is finally reunited with his parents)
The Killing Fields (when the 2 MC's are reunited to John Lennon's Imagine)

emanny86
08-03-2010, 09:45 AM
i really saw myself as someone who was really bad at handleing my emotions with movies but seeing the kind of movies you guys cry for, i probably am not that bad.

some movies that really got me were like, hotel rowanda, knowing (boy i choked on this one big time) . . . . can't think of another right now. I-I-I- think i am going to cry . . .

shawkins
08-05-2010, 05:42 AM
The same people who made Watership Down followed up with another Richard Adams adaptation, The Plague Dogs. I'd read the book first and was expecting a moderately upbeat ending. Alas, this was not to be. I was caught somewhat off guard. That's all I'm saying.

ETA: Oh, and Gardens of the Night. That's about as dark a movie as was ever filmed, but it had a weirdly upbeat ending. Probably not all that realistic, but upbeat.

Xelebes
08-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Chaяlie - saw this in grade seven, cried then. Still cry today.
Man Behind the Sun - One of the most horrifying films, also one of the saddest films.

Regan Leigh
08-05-2010, 08:24 AM
The only other time I got truly watery-eyed as a kid was during The Never Ending Story, both when the horse drowned in the freaking swamp of sadness and when the rock biter gave the "good strong hands" speech. My mom says I cried over the whole Sesame Street "I'll miss you Mr. Hooper" thing when she helped explain it to me, but I say that without any evidence or recollection on behalf of the alleged crier it never happened.

YES. :D The horse? Kills me. "ARTAX!!!"

Sigh.

darkprincealain
08-05-2010, 09:21 PM
The Event, The Hours and oddly Aeon Flux. I think I may have been on some kind of hormonal anomaly when I went to see Aeon Flux. But that said, I've seen some of the movies mentioned upthread, and not a tear. It's totally possible that I am just an oddball. :D

Chris P
08-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Oh, Kitchen Stories. It's a Norwegian film with subtitles, but the ending is about the saddest I've seen.

YukonMike
08-06-2010, 04:39 AM
I came very close to crying like a baby in the scene in Crash when the man shoots the six-year-old girl. At the time, I was away for a month for work and missing my twin six-year-old girls.

If it wasn't for the blanks, I would have completely lost it.

mellymel
08-06-2010, 05:28 AM
I'm a crier, big time. LOTR Return of the King Hahaha...I must have cried about 6 different times while watching that in the theater and maybe 7 with the extended version (that scene when Eomer finds his sister after that huge battle, gets me every friggin' time).

Let's see, what else...

Liar Liar, Oh no. Wait. Those are tears of laughter. Okay, we're talking sad tears, right? Hmmm...The Patriot, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid (the whole idea of losing/saying goodbye to daddy thing), Stepmom, Powder. I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that came right to me.

andrewhollinger
08-06-2010, 06:03 AM
UP got me.

My wife bawled at the opening of the latest Star Trek movie. And I admit it took me enough by surprise that I definitely choked up.

I teared up to Big Fish.

And Seven Pounds. Oh-my-gosh.

KTC
08-06-2010, 06:07 AM
i cried when Gordie saw the deer come out onto the railway tracks. i cry at picture perfect moments in movies...they don't have to be a scene even...just a glimpse of perfection. Sam trying to write his name on the help wanted application at the movie store...or Sam shaking a snot off his fingers at the park. Or the shoes hanging over the lines when Edward walks out of the trees and into the idyllic little town of Spectra.

I cry.

Grrarrgh
08-06-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm a big old sucker for animals. Marley & Me made we wail out loud, even though I'd read the book and knew what was coming. Dumbo, Where the Red Fern Grows, A Neverending Story - that scene with Artax tears me up just thinking about it. I Am Legend - when Will Smith had to kill his dog. I couldn't even watch.

Up, oh my gosh - I cried out loud, big sobbing tears. So did Mr. Grr, so I didn't feel bad.

I cried the last time I watched The Dark Crystal, but that was more because my dad and I used to watch that movie all the time when I was a kid and it was my first time trying to watch it after he died. One of these days I'll make it through that movie again.

I love a movie that can bring on a good cry once in a while.

KTC
08-06-2010, 05:15 PM
I almost left the theatre when I watched Marley & Me. The build up at the end had me suffocating. Everybody around me was crying too. This HUGE biker guy directly behind me was sobbing uncontrollably.

Ninjas Love Nixon
08-06-2010, 10:59 PM
The Iron Giant gets me every time. The end of AI is another one. I get emotional watching a lot of films, but more in that 'introverted with testicles' way. These are the two I have no defence against.

Satori1977
08-07-2010, 12:04 AM
I have to admit I am a big baby when it comes to crying at movies (or tv shows, or books). I cry at happy and sad things equally. I might be fine until I see someone else cry, then I lose it. But the worst for me is seeing animals die. I generally like animals more than I like people.

I am Legend, when he kills his dog (I have a shepherd too, so that made it worse).
Artax in The Neverending Story
And the worst one, Marley and Me. The book had me crying for days, but the ending was much sadder and more drawn out. The movie I thought was only ok. But that scene at the vets, I started sobbing uncontrollably. My husband gave me a weird look look, I yelled at him, and actually had to leave the room. That is the only movie I ever walked out on. I just couldn't watch it. My own dog is 13 and doesn't have much longer, so that made it 100 times worse. If I can relate to the movie in any way, it is that much easier to get upset over it.

My husband never cries at movies. Actually, he never cries period. We have been married almost 8 years, and we actually had a conversation about it once. He couldn't remember the last time he had cried. We ended up fighting because he told me he didn't think he would even cry at my funeral.

Then a few months ago we watched the Notebook (never seen it, not sure why). The last scene of course got to me. I started crying, and I hear sniffling next to me. My husband, who NEVER cries, was tearing up at the ending. Not bawling like me, but he had to wipe his eyes. The fact that that scene made him react that way, made me fall in love with him again.

Ah hell, now I am crying!

Otterella
08-07-2010, 12:26 AM
My husband rarely cries at movies. I consider it a personal quest to find one that will get some kind of teary reaction. I almost had him with Steel Magnolias. I freaking SOB every time, in the graveyard, when Melyn is screaming and sobbing about how unfair everything is. I'm choked up just thinking about it. The most reaction I got out of my husband? He was just choked up enough to be mad that I didn't tell him it was a sad movie.

Scott Kurtz's blog post (http://www.pvponline.com/2009/05/11/) and comic (http://www.pvponline.com/2009/05/12/) on this topic.

Fulk
08-08-2010, 01:16 AM
I can attest that UP was a total sucker punch for me both in the beginning and the end.

Hotel Rwanda and Mississippi Burning both made me incredibly sad and also filled me with rage and disgust over how awful people can be to another over petty differences.

The Stoning of Soraya M. had me gushing tears.

thothguard51
08-08-2010, 02:16 AM
I've been thinking about this thread for several days.

I can't recall any films that have made me cry though a few have made me tear up. Like today, I watched "Rudy." Seen it a too many times to count. But today I noticed I teared up when Rudy ran onto the field for his first play. Even though I knew it was coming.