I like sharks

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
So how could I resist sharing an article that helps debunk a few myths around them?

I do wonder though, whether their advanced immune system is something sharks have always had, or if it's continually progressing and that its strength is derived from inheriting 420 million years of antibodies at work.

Does that suggest that any species will become immune to more diseases the longer they exist?

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I like sharks also. The more I learn about them, the more I appreciate and respect their role in the marine food chain.

I've seen some of the more menacing species, such as hammerheads and bulls, travel serenely among beach goers splashing and swimming in the Gulf of Mexico. Most people never see them approach or even realize they could have reached out and touched the sharks. If human flesh were on their menu, we'd sure be easy pickings.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
I've been called a shark...so, I guess I like them too ;)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be a pool shark,
Playing in the dark,
My opponent does hark,
What a great lark,
Pool shark, pool shark,
I'm great with sticks and balls,
Pool shark, pool shark,
Been banned from shopping malls,
Yeah!

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
I have a t-shirt with a bunch of sharks on it...and one of the sharks is wearing a tiny red and yellow striped neck tie...the caption at the bottom reads:

"which one is the lawyer?"

I didn't think it was funny at the time a client of mine gave it to me...now...I love it :)

oh, and I don't play pool...have a pool table in my spare living room...but, I'm terrible at it...hehe

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I used to play pool at Uni all the time. I was a complete shark. Whenever the table was busy, you were supposed to put a dollar on the table's arm to reserve a challenge match, to see if you could beat whoever was already playing and get the table for you and your friends, at least for a few games...

My friends always made me challenge the other players, probably because I kept beating my friends...

Sadly, I haven't played seriously for a number of years, and last time I had a game I kind of sucked.

I'd love to get a pool table for my house some day!!!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a cool shot I've shared here before of a hammerhead going after a tarpon my friend had hooked. You can see part of the fish to the left of where the shark's "hammer" should be. I took the picture in my boat's tower, about twelve feet above the action.

The image doesn't do justice to the struggle, nor to the sheer power and size of that shark. But it's all I've got besides a spotty memory to recall the encounter.

Shark1-2.jpg

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
I HATE BEARS. Just sayin'. This is a thread for declaring our feelings about animals, no?

I love unicorns!

I am indifferent to sloths.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a cool shot I've shared here before of a hammerhead going after a tarpon my friend had hooked. You can see part of the fish to the left of where the shark's "hammer" should be. I took the picture in my boat's tower, about twelve feet above the action.

The image doesn't do justice to the struggle, nor to the sheer power and size of that shark. But it's all I've got besides a spotty memory to recall the encounter.
Wait a minute, your friend actually tried to wrestle the fish back from the shark?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Does that suggest that any species will become immune to more diseases the longer they exist?

Sort of...assuming you let nature take its course and never intervene with any sort of medical care. That way only the strongest, smartest and luckiest survive to breed.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Wait a minute, your friend actually tried to wrestle the fish back from the shark?
At first we heard the shark, coming from a long way it seemed. It traveled near the surface, displacing water with a whooshing sound. Then we saw its crooked dorsal headed straight for us. There was no question but to cut the line and let the tarpon go at that point. But the fish stayed near the boat and was taken by the hammerhead moments later.

A couple of things I took away from the encounter is that even very large hammerheads have small mouths in relation to their body size. They use their "hammers" to bitch-slap their prey into submission, stunning them as it were, in addition to flipping them out of the water.

And another thing is, even though I'm not afraid of sharks, I was damn glad I didn't fall overboard during that ruckus.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You guys should come to MA. We've got Great Whites off South Beach in Chatham. Beach has been closed but loads of people are coming to the beach with binoculars to try and get a peek at them. And a young Great White was tagged with a tuna tag by some fisherman off Gloucester.

We're having a great summer for sharks here. :)

Shark Week on Discovery Channel and Expedition Great White on National Geographic Channel, both a must for shark fans.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I live in Missouri...only been to the ocean a handful of times. Same with my sister but she has this completely irrational fear of sharks. I LOVE shark week, but it makes her sick to her stomach. She will actually have a physical reaction when she sees a shark on t.v. because it causes her so much fear and anxiety. THen again, she's always been afraid of a lot of things. I keep telling her she must have been killed by a shark in a previous life.