PDA

View Full Version : Stupid $&#*@(#!!! -- and I already clicked "Send"!

Miss Plum
07-31-2010, 10:44 PM
I just accidentally queried an agent with whom I have an outstanding query. Yeah, not the end of the world, but I hate it when I do stupid-looking stuff. At least it's not as bad as the time I addressed a query to Agent Jones and then began with "Dear Agent Smith."

What did you do lately?

Kitty27
07-31-2010, 10:51 PM
I once sent an agent a query with this as the intro:

Dear Agent Whose Soul Shall Be Mine

It was a query that I was messing around with and when I finally finished,I totally forgot to change the greeting. Of course,I realized this after I had sent the query!

That incident taught me to make sure I go over my query before sending it out.

AnonymousWriter
08-01-2010, 12:50 AM

Did they run away, scared?

Kitty27
08-01-2010, 01:00 AM
Did they run away, scared?

I think they did since I never got a reply,lol.

Phaeal
08-01-2010, 01:16 AM

It was a query that I was messing around with and when I finally finished,I totally forgot to change the greeting. Of course,I realized this after I had sent the query!

That incident taught me to make sure I go over my query before sending it out.

This would have brightened my dark little agent's day. I'd have written back saying you could send me a partial if I could get my soul back.

shaldna
08-01-2010, 01:42 AM
What did you do lately?

I don't make mistakes. I'm Jesus.

Miss Plum
08-01-2010, 03:44 AM
I don't make mistakes. I'm Jesus.
Then please bring my book back from the dead.

shaldna
08-01-2010, 03:51 AM
Then please bring my book back from the dead.

nah. think i'll go buy sandals instead.

Mr Flibble
08-01-2010, 04:02 AM
I just accidentally queried an agent with whom I have an outstanding query. Yeah, not the end of the world, but I hate it when I do stupid-looking stuff. At least it's not as bad as the time I addressed a query to Agent Jones and then began with "Dear Agent Smith."

What did you do lately?

I queried someone with the wrong version of my story, emailed to say I had and sent them a yet another wrong version (the right one was on my lapto, and it was late) and e-mailed third...and got an offer.

Birol
08-01-2010, 06:10 AM
Last month, I was writing a rejection. I was not the editor who read the manuscript, so I pasted her blunt and matter-of-fact editor-to-editor comments into the body of the e-mail so I could look at them while I typed up a professional yet personal rejection.

The computer glitched but I was able to recover the e-mail. When I did, I hit send before I realized I had not yet deleted her comments from the body of the e-mail.

I felt horrible.

Soccer Mom
08-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Kitty27 wins! "Dear Agent Whose Soul Shall Be Mine"

Mwahahahaha!

Gretad08
08-01-2010, 06:28 AM
Last month, I was writing a rejection. I was not the editor who read the manuscript, so I pasted her blunt and matter-of-fact editor-to-editor comments into the body of the e-mail so I could look at them while I typed up a professional yet personal rejection.

The computer glitched but I was able to recover the e-mail. When I did, I hit send before I realized I had not yet deleted her comments from the body of the e-mail.

I felt horrible.

Yeah...thanks a lot. My therapist has been instructed to bill you directly.

thethinker42
08-01-2010, 06:43 AM
If it's any consolation, I submitted a query a few months ago containing a tongue-in-cheek reference to something the agent put on her blog. It involved saying my next book-in-progress contained "...no fewer than three wombats of doom, but one of them isn't working out as well as I'd like, so it's more of a wombat-of-extreme-irritation..." Ballsy and risky, yes, but it made sense in the context of her blog, her sense of humor, and the timing of the query...trust me on this.

In fact, it made perfect sense...

...until I sent it to the wrong agent.

Birol
08-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Yeah...thanks a lot. My therapist has been instructed to bill you directly.

Oh? Those were for you? I rejected those, too.

Nya RAyne
08-01-2010, 08:43 AM
If it's any consolation, I submitted a query a few months ago containing a tongue-in-cheek reference to something the agent put on her blog. It involved saying my next book-in-progress contained "...no fewer than three wombats of doom, but one of them isn't working out as well as I'd like, so it's more of a wombat-of-extreme-irritation..." Ballsy and risky, yes, but it made sense in the context of her blog, her sense of humor, and the timing of the query...trust me on this.

ROFL

Phaeal
08-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Wombats-of-doom are so Bush administration. However, I would like to see a full on the wombat-of-extreme-irritation MS. Attached Word doc is fine.

Christine N.
08-01-2010, 05:35 PM
I did the whole, 'included is a SASE for your reply', then addressed it, stamped and sealed the submission and there was the SASE...on the table.

Yes, I peeled open the envelope and put the other inside. I then used one of my son's gluesticks to reseal the envelope. Yeah.

KTC
08-01-2010, 06:13 PM
I told an agent I had a contract offer on a manuscript that they were currently considering. When the agent didn't get back to me, I thought she had lost interest. Days after I accepted the publishing contract the agent emailed me and asked me for my phone number. She said I beat her to the punch and that she really liked the manuscript and wanted to discuss my options. I had to email her and tell her I accepted the contract.

But...I did take advantage of the situation and sent her a query and the first ten pages of another manuscript in the same email.

She asked for a full. We'll see if this train wreck has a good ending???