August 2010 Goals–Ready, get set!

Suzan

Living the Dream...
Registered
Reaction score
Hope everyone accomplished their goals for July!

Today (July 31) is important; it's the "no turning back" deadline I gave myself to commit to the next novel. I know...I know, nothing like procrastinating until the very last minute. Why is this one so hard?

Never mind, I'll tell you why! I LOVE, (yes, true l-o-v-e) two ideas and have been going back and forth between them, but I know there's no way can I write both at the same time, so it's come down to this–I'm going to flip a coin. Right here, right now. Heads, it's the outline on my right and tails, the left. (Hang on...gotta find a quarter.)

Penny will have to do. (Drum roll, anyone? Please?)

*Flip, catch, toss, cover...big, dramatic sigh...sneaky peek*

Okay! It's tails; so there you have it. I did it. I am now commited to my next novel, titled, novel #2 for now ; )

Thank you AW pals for making me stick to it. Goals for August, anyone? I say bring 'em on!

Last edited:

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
My goals:

1 - Get to 10K on DYS2
2- Get to 10K on Pritty Little Assasans

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I want to finish my latest novel WIP before I go on vacation September 3. As of today, I have ten chapters to go. Argh!

Okay, time for a personal WriMo. I'm aiming for 1200 words a day rather than the official WriMo quota of 1667.

If I don't make it, I'll have to bring the novel to the beach with me, because there will be no way I can neglect an almost done WIP for two weeks! And I soooooo want to write some shorts and flashes while I'm on vacation! Ahhhhhhh!

Tomorrow, August 1. The WriMo will begin!

incognitopress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elisaromero.com
My goals for August:
1. Put final polish on my second book, which is 99% finished. It evolved from splitting my original book into two manuscripts, the first one being currently on submission.

2. Start on a completely new project, fiction this time - a break from the constant nonfic I've been working on over the last two years. I embrace the thought of making stuff up for a change :) Plus, it'll keep me from going up the wall as I wait to hear from editors.

3. Get application in order for a writers' colony

4. Make a half-decent attempt at sending some poetry pieces to lit journals -- and hope they accept electronic submissions so I don't keep wasting postage!

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Make it simple:

1. 5,000 words
2. finish researching background
3. request archive articles

Good luck everyone!

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
My August goals (also simple):

1. 10K words on Death Brings the Victory
2. 2K words on a new short story
3. Submit 2 stories to magazines/anthologies
4. Work up query letter and synopsis for The Cure

Reaction score
1,500 words a day.

That's it.

Not much given what I'm capable of, I know, but I've just come out of a long period of edits/revisions/rewrites, so it'll be challenging to get myself back into first draft mode. I want to train myself to write something fresh and new every day, and while 1,500 is at most only a couple of hours' work, I plan to start small and add around 500 words a day per month.

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
I always forget to post in here, so I'm going to take a stab at it this month. =) My goals for August include:

1. Get Untitled WIP up to 60k words.
2. Come up with a title for WIP. (Something to do with forests, darkness, light, shadow, ugh!!!)
3. Read...something. Anything. I stalled out in the middle of Under the Dome awhile ago and now I feel guilty for stopping. So, it's either suck it up and finish or dive into my ever-growing to-read pile.
4. Submit rejected stories to new markets as soon as they come in.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I'm running a little late on setting goals, but that's because I'm working diligently toward them.

1) finish Chapter 8 (almost done)
2) draft, design, knit, photograph, edit, polish, etc. Chapter 9
3) draft, edit, polish Appendix, References, rest of back matter, and Intro
4) read through the whole friggen thing, cut as much as possible, look for redundancies and make the formatting consistent.

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
1.) Finish the first draft of Dangerous Sky. 40K to go!
2.) (Not writing related) Pick up A-Level results / not have failed everything.

That's it, I think. 40K in one month is a big enough goal for me :D.

xx

SWickham

Wonders what all the fuss is about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandrawickham.com
Hi everyone!

Okay, I haven't been posting goals for ages..BUT..I have been writing and editing, honest. Thought I better come back and be accountable again though.

August Goals
1. First draft of Geist anthology short story
2. Outline Evolve2 short story (for submission)
3. Outline NEW plot etc for novel one (this is the novel that's had 5 drafts already, now I'm going back to first person and a whole new plot!! shoot me now....)

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
My goals for August:

1. Release eBook version of Sanity JuxtaposedOnce the proof reading and cover is in, I can finish off the text and format it for Scribd (PDF eBook) and Smashwords (text-based eBook i.e. ePub, Kindle etc.) to be unveiled to the world.
  2. Finish The Red Pen and set a date for the launch

There are a few more pieces to copy edit, my editorial and then we can basically put it all together. With the election and some protests, it’s a bit busy to launch it this month unless it’s after the 21st but we need to set a date.

3. Finalise Somewhere to Pray for Chinese Whisperings

The deadline for the final version is August 10 so the first part of the month is going to be jam packed trying to do the final edits for this.

4. Write 2,000 words for Dead in the Head (fascist zombie novella)

I will try and find time for this. I’ve been watching some zombie movies lately too – and bought some more – so it will help to inspire me. I also watched Metal: a headbangers journey which is a documentary about Heavy Metal Music, which is part of the milieus the story is set in which helped.

5. Write first draft to Red Dead Heart short story

Read Dead Heart is an Australian themed vampire anthology. I have an idea for it so would like to get out a rough draft this month to get moving with this.

6. Set up new writing space

With moving house, it means a change of writing space; packing this one up and establishing a new one. If I’m going to get any writing done this month, this needs to be done quickly.

7. Finish The City and The City (Cultural Goal)

With the interview with China Mieville coming up in September, I need to finish reading this book, if not some more of his stuff, in order to ask informed questions. The novel so far is great and I’m reading it quite quickly. I’m also appalled at the number of novels I’ve finished this year: two.

8. Research Homophobia in Colonial Australia (Political Research Goal)

This is part of the angle I’m going for with my vampire story for the anthology so am going to look into this a little bit more. I know a comrade who has done a bit of research on this so will ask her.

9. Post an interview (Blogging Goal)

I’d like to practice doing an interview, in person, via email or whatever just to start thinking about asking questions and working with this format as I haven’t done a lot of it.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, did I not write August goals?

I'm trying to do 500 words a day, so far, so good, I've tallied about 10 000 since thursday.

Yup, that's pretty much my only goal. Keep plodding along.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Just broke 40k in my WIP tonight, so I'm excited. I've hit the smooth, long strides of rising action. It feels awesome.

The goal is 500 words a day for the rest of the month, so at least 10k added to my WIP.

Also plan to finish reading quite a few books (The Passage, Kraken, Hyperion, and some beta manuscripts).

Busy, busy summer.

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
1) finish Chapter 8 (almost done)
2) draft, design, knit, photograph, edit, polish, etc. Chapter 9
3) draft, edit, polish Appendix, References, rest of back matter, and Intro
4) read through the whole friggen thing, cut as much as possible, look for redundancies and make the formatting consistent.

Just finished chapter 8, including all the illustrations. A few days later than I would have liked, but done none the less. Tonight, on to chapter 9...

How's it going for everyone else?

kelloish

Registered
Reaction score
Alright... bit late for this, but I just joined so I'll give it a go anyways.
Being accountable is helpful... right?
1- Get to 15k on my current WIP
2- Write a short story
3- Finish current beta read

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, everybody. Now, since you're obviously on AW instead of working, go get back to work!