PDA

View Full Version : guns and cars

OneWriter
07-31-2010, 07:21 AM
Can a 9mm drill a hole through the roof of a car? (An old VW, mid-size)
IF YES: Would it need a special bullet in order to do that or is any ammo going to do the trick?
IF NO: Would a revolver work? What kind?

Thanks! :)

Drachen Jager
07-31-2010, 08:28 AM
Most ammo would do it. Glazer or similar probably wouldn't.

It would still have enough energy on the other side to kill someone but it would be thrown off course and make aiming nearly impossible except at very close range.

There are more powerful automatics if you don't want it to be a revolver. Most police agencies for example are moving to the .40 S&W

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot3.htm

Linda Adams
07-31-2010, 03:20 PM
Don't know what type of bullet it was, but I have seen a car that had been hit by bullets. The car was an older style one, when car manufacturers were still making them out of metal. It had twenty holes punched through the driver's door. Apparently the driver hadn't been in the car when it happened, since he was still driving it around--the edges of the bullet holes were beginning to rust.

Chase
07-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Funny story: A security guard on roving vehicle patrol near Great Falls, Montana, was shooting rabbits with a .22 handgun one night when a shot accidentally went through the headliner and metal roof of his patrol vehicle.

Since the activity wasn't in his job-description, he tried to cover the "accident" by intentionally shooting his .38 Special service revolver through the same hole. He missed, now having one small and one large hole through the vehicle roof. He tried again and missed. At three holes, he decided to give up face the consequences.

One consequence was severe ringing in his ears from three shots in a closed vehicle. My understanding is workman's comp refused the claim.

So yes, I'd think a 9mm Luger round (same size bullet as a .38) would go through a Volkswagen headliner and roof.

As DJ said, bullets designed to fragment may not be the best bet for penetration, but most others wouldn't have much problem punching a hole.

OneWriter
07-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks guys! Chase, I could see myself doing something that silly, ha ha!!! Except if it were me I'd knew there would be no way I could aim that well!!
Does the same hold for the windshield? Except in that case I suppose the windshield would literally explode, right?

Thanks!

Michael_T
07-31-2010, 06:23 PM
The windshield wouldn't explode. They have a layer of plastic in them that keeps the glass from falling all over you when you're driving. The glass would shatter, but it would stay in place. (except for where the bullet went through).

RJK
07-31-2010, 06:29 PM
It mostly depends on what kind of bullet you're using. Soft nose and hollow points probably would self destruct upon hitting the metal, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. They could make it through in dozens of pieces and hit you at 1300 ft/sec. Hardball ammunition like we used in our .45 ACP semi-automatics wouldn't even slow down (appreciably) when it hit the light sheet metal used in car manufacture.

Summonere
07-31-2010, 08:53 PM
You may find this interesting:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/thebuickotruth.htm

OneWriter
07-31-2010, 08:53 PM
The windshield wouldn't explode. They have a layer of plastic in them that keeps the glass from falling all over you when you're driving. The glass would shatter, but it would stay in place. (except for where the bullet went through).

Does the same hold for side windows? Sorry, I'm brainstorming....

I know it's not true for the back: last year we had one of those hails that happen once every ten years. The rocks were as big as golf balls (no hyperbole, they truly were that big! Half of the house roofs and vehicles in town were totaled) and a few people I know had the back windows in their Priuses shattered into pieces.

ETA: thanks, summonere!

quicklime
08-02-2010, 05:28 PM
soft-nose would still go through.

if you wish to secure your position though, 9mm is a standard military cartridge for much of the world, and so 9mm FMJ military surplus from all corners of the world is available and cheap.

I would not hesitate to have a guy use a 9mm and shoot through a roof (note the bullet would deflect in all likelihood as mentioned earlier; it would not likely keep a true straight line but would veer to varying degrees) but if you insist on worrying have your shooter using FMJ ammo; maybe he is a military nut, maybe he is cheal or an end-of-days type and he stockpiled surplus ammo, maybe whatever....point is the jacketed ammo is a more solid ball and it's literally everywhere out there....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0067624210831a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=9mm&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0064201216742a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=9mm&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=46

quicklime
08-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Does the same hold for side windows? Sorry, I'm brainstorming....

I know it's not true for the back: last year we had one of those hails that happen once every ten years. The rocks were as big as golf balls (no hyperbole, they truly were that big! Half of the house roofs and vehicles in town were totaled) and a few people I know had the back windows in their Priuses shattered into pieces.

ETA: thanks, summonere!

sides blow out, or have the few times I've seen one shot

SouthernFriedJulie
08-02-2010, 06:28 PM
I watched an episode of Mythbusters concerning bullets and cars. I found a list of their results. You may be able to find the online video- my computer is too slow for me to check, sorry. Videos are too choppy even after waiting for them to load.

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode15

Gary
08-04-2010, 12:08 AM
My first car, a '41 Chevy, broke down so often that I finally parked it behind the hill on our farm. Hated that car! Every time I went by with my .22 rifle, I fired a few rounds into it, and they easily penetrated the sheet metal, hollow points included. A 9mm would probably go through one side and out the other unless it hit some reinforcing bracing inside.