The smell of popcorn...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...is the siren song of scents. Dear God, my mind practically shuts down as soon as I get a whiff of some popcorn. Somebody in the office just nuked themselves a bag and all I can think about is "Where is that coming from? How can I get some of that? It will be mine! It must!"

If aliens wanted to abduct humans en masse, they could just send the aroma of perfectly buttered popcorn wafting through neighborhoods across America. It could be blatantly coming from within the spaceship parked at the end of a cul de sac, and people would still walk right up to it. "Screw it, if they've got popcorn on board, I don't mind going on a little trip."

Popcorn is basically the only food I can think of that smells so good it always disappoints me when I actually eat it.

Anyway, just had to share... carry on...

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Understood. Unless pregnant. Ugh, sorry to if it offends but the scent of popcorn and the taste is just horrible. A crime really, the scent is always the same arresting "make a big bowl of me and love it in the living room" scent...but it's so strong and so very disappointing!

Oddly, scent and taste with my first son was the worse...and yet he loves it so very much. Like an addiction, the 2.5 year old could eat an entire bag of microwaved popcorn if you aren't careful. I can only imagine what he'd think of a theater...heaven?

I'd like to add pizza to the list of "smells good but delivers disappoint". This is not every pizza, of course, but they all manage to smell good and yet many are just...depressing.

Aliens would definitely make it work, think about it, boarding a ship to popcorn and living in a movie?...surely, Americans dreams come true...

I'm done. Off to clean up the crushed popcorn...:(

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
my late husband was a popcorn freak. i burned out on it early--about the time he was floating it on cheese soup. or maybe the chili pepper popcorn balls for christmas. or maybe it was the time he served caramel corn and pizza for my b-day. still, the memory of the smell brings a flood of good memories. thanks for reminding me--s6

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uh-uh,

THIS ...

cinnabon_Mat.jpg

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I lurve the smell of popcorn but the absolutely best smelling food ever is fresh peaches.
drooling-4.gif

Jay, go tell whoever nuked the popcorn, you're there for popcorn freshness inspection

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You mean there's someone in the world who can nuke popcorn without burning it? Seriously? I've never met the person--self included.

Me, if I want popcorn, I pull out the pan, the oil, the corn, and the butter and do it the right way.

You want the smell of perfection--that's it. And it tastes 4000% better than that nuked crap.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
my daughter got a tin of old fashioned popcorn as a gift for college. she and her room mates sat and stared at it all semester. no one knew how to pop corn w/out a micro-wave!--s6

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The smell of buttered toast in the morning is a lovely, lovely smell. I like popcorn, but toast beats it, every time!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
my daughter got a tin of old fashioned popcorn as a gift for college. she and her room mates sat and stared at it all semester. no one knew how to pop corn w/out a micro-wave!--s6

:cry:

That's the saddest thing I've heard in a while. It really is.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to add pizza to the list of "smells good but delivers disappoint". This is not every pizza, of course, but they all manage to smell good and yet many are just...depressing.

Gah, that sounds like every time I've tried to make home-made soup. Smells wonderful, tastes like dishwater.

My siren-scent is frying onions. Popcorn can't compete with it.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I LOVE the smell of pizza, but hate the taste. I don't really get off on the smell of popcorn, but love the taste.

For me, the food that wins in the "taste/smell" trade-off is a tie between buttered toast (multi-grain FTW!) and McDonalds Fries!!! Yum!!

Hmm, I think I shall make some toast now...

Gugland

Sufficiently downsized
Registered
Reaction score
Toast is the most!

But I've found that candles often smell better than they taste.

Deleted member 42

Really good, fresh popcorn with butter and salt is amazing with Chardonnay.

No, really!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
my late husband was a popcorn freak. i burned out on it early--about the time he was floating it on cheese soup. or maybe the chili pepper popcorn balls for christmas. or maybe it was the time he served caramel corn and pizza for my b-day. still, the memory of the smell brings a flood of good memories. thanks for reminding me--s6

:ROFL: (It was the chili pepper popcorn balls that did it...)

Uh-uh,

THIS ...

cinnabon_Mat.jpg

That was my immediate thought when I read the first post. But I don't have any near me, so I guess I'll have to have toast. (Toasted cheese bread smells even better. Yum!)

Gah, that sounds like every time I've tried to make home-made soup. Smells wonderful, tastes like dishwater.

Try adding more salt, herbs and spices, a bit by bit until it tastes like you think it should taste. Commercial soups are highly salted, and it will take a while for your taste buds to adjust downwards to real soup.

But I've found that candles often smell better than they taste.

Usually.

My "smells better than they taste" foods are frying onions and coffee, neither of which I can stand to ingest. But I don't mind others having them in my presence, because the smell is actually quite wonderful.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Popcorn is a food I could totally leave alone if not for that smell :)

Has anyone had popcorn flavored jellybeans, btw? That has to be my least favorite smell/taste in the food kingdom.

Always smells incredible and tastes it too? Maryland style steamed crabs and shrimp!

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...is the siren song of scents. Dear God, my mind practically shuts down as soon as I get a whiff of some popcorn. Somebody in the office just nuked themselves a bag and all I can think about is "Where is that coming from? How can I get some of that? It will be mine! It must!"
If God was the scent, the crunch, the salt thrill of popcorn I'd be a true believer.