Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
At this message board, there or writers of all levels, meaning published and unpublished. Yet, we all have someplace somewhere in the universe where we do our writing. Please describe your main writing space, and perhaps share other places where you like to write.

My writing space is my home-office at the back of my condominium. My desk faces the window, which provides me a beautiful view of redwoods and ivy crawling the fence. If I provided an actual photograph, you would not be able to see the busy street just beyond the trees. I like to imagine that I am in the great forest writing my stories and my novel.

My desk is an old teacher's desk which, twenty-five years ago, I purchased at a second hand store. Along one wall are bookshelves (one a very tall oak which belonged to my grandparents) filled with books of every kind. Across from the shelves is a futon, where my cats often like to sit while I write. Sometimes my beau, Don, will come in and read while I'm writing, or play guitar.

Other places I have written are the library, coffee shops, conference room at work while on my lunch hour. But, there's no place like the old home office when it comes to writing.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Susan that sounds lovely!

I write at my desk at work. We are across the road from a huge clocktower that is part of the 200 year old post office. I can hear the clock chiming throughout the day.

My desk is a big white one, and I can see through the glass doors to the bank of lifts. to my right is a hole cut in the desk for a flower arrangement. This week it is pink and white cherry blossom, magnolia foliage, and pink and white lillies.

When I have my own home, I'd love to write in a place that sounds exactly like what you describe, but if I'm honest, when I'm in the zone, everything fades and I could be anywhere. I'm in the room with my characters.

kurzon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm most productive on a Cityrail train in Sydney, on my morning hour-long commute.

Except in Winter on the week where it was cold enough for frost, and the lack of air-conditioning on the train made me want to keep my hands safely tucked somewhere warmer than my keyboard.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Kurzon - fingerless. gloves. They may make you look like a hobo, but they keep fingers warm while allowing for typing and iphone touch screening :D

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
My writing space is pretty much wherever I happen to be with my Alphasmart Neo. Panera, my living room, bedroom, office, whatever--since it's so portable, I write just about anywhere.

My desktop is in my office, but I don't do much writing or rewriting in there. Just formatting and printing.

kurzon

Registered
Reaction score
Kurzon - fingerless. gloves. They may make you look like a hobo, but they keep fingers warm while allowing for typing and iphone touch screening :D

I've tried them - but on days when you don't want to take even your gloved hands out of your pockets...

Fortunately there are usually only a few days of really cold per year in Sydney.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Susan that sounds lovely!

I write at my desk at work. We are across the road from a huge clocktower that is part of the 200 year old post office. I can hear the clock chiming throughout the day.

My desk is a big white one, and I can see through the glass doors to the bank of lifts. to my right is a hole cut in the desk for a flower arrangement. This week it is pink and white cherry blossom, magnolia foliage, and pink and white lillies.

When I have my own home, I'd love to write in a place that sounds exactly like what you describe, but if I'm honest, when I'm in the zone, everything fades and I could be anywhere. I'm in the room with my characters.

Sounds like a great place to write. How wonderful you have a flower arrangement as well!

I love clock towers. I work in a building in 1910 which has a clock tower. Every day I am there, I can feel the history of the place.

397px-Santa_Rosa,_Empire_Building_%282009%29.jpg

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I'm most productive on a Cityrail train in Sydney, on my morning hour-long commute.

Except in Winter on the week where it was cold enough for frost, and the lack of air-conditioning on the train made me want to keep my hands safely tucked somewhere warmer than my keyboard.

I've heard of a lot of writers doing their work on the train. Fortunately, my work is a 10 minute drive. If I worked further away, I would utilize public transportation, and use it as extra time to write.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
My writing space is pretty much wherever I happen to be with my Alphasmart Neo. Panera, my living room, bedroom, office, whatever--since it's so portable, I write just about anywhere.

My desktop is in my office, but I don't do much writing or rewriting in there. Just formatting and printing.

I have a laptop, which I can take anywhere as well. It's so versatile to be able to do this. Do you like the Neo? I've heard nothing but good about it.

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
Do you like the Neo? I've heard nothing but good about it.

I love it. I've done all of my first drafts on it since I got it in 2004. All my short stories, novels, and other writings have started their life in the Neo. I've had a few sales, so it's paid for itself several times over.

Big draws of it for me are its light weight, great battery life, and lack of internet access or games. It's little more than an electronic word processor and that's all I really need.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I love it. I've done all of my first drafts on it since I got it in 2004. All my short stories, novels, and other writings have started their life in the Neo. I've had a few sales, so it's paid for itself several times over.

Big draws of it for me are its light weight, great battery life, and lack of internet access or games. It's little more than an electronic word processor and that's all I really need.

That is great! Years ago, I had a brother word processor (before home computers), and I love it for the same reason. It was bigger, but it could be lugged around and had the printer right on the word processor. In fact, I wrote many of my early stories on it.

artemis31386

All around miscreant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleymchristman.com
I finally got my own office so no more dining room for me. My office is a loft with gorgeous large windows and views of the lake. I still use my dinning room table as it has been promoted to desk since we got a new table. This works better for me because its more like a library table and gives me room to spread out.

On the table I keep a live orchid and an iPod dock. The wall has a framed copy of my first published book's cover as well as artsy black and white photos.

I love this space. It keeps me motivated.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
My writing space is my study. The study is smallish, about 8-9 feet by about 12 feet. It does not have a door and is accessed via the sitting room. Sort of open plan. I have an oak desk which was rescued from a skip where I used to work. It is a lovely dark marmalade colour with drawers on the left hand pedestal and a cupboard on the right hand one.

On the wall facing me are two tall book cases, two cupboard doors and a filing cabinet. Skulking behind one of the cupboard doors is the water heater and hot water tank. On my right, and at right angles to the doors, are two windows. A large and a small one. When I draw back the curtains, which is not often, I can see the eucalyptus tree and all the birds that visit. This is a major distraction so the curtains are mainly closed. Behind me are two very large book cases. They are filled with my Shakespeare collection - plays, biographies, crits and all sorts related to WS. To my left is my bureau which, when I had a laptop, I used to work at. Over the bureau is a print that always reminds me of the years I lived in Stratford-upon-Avon. There is a swan, the tower of Holy Trinity where WS is buried, a view of the river and the artists depiction of how WS may have looked. Either side of the bureau are book cases. One of them stands in front of the way in to the brick built bread oven. This is a huge thing that was a real modcon when it was built over four hundred years ago. Now it houses spiders and the lost cheese sandwich. At the left hand side of the desk as I sit at it, and at the front, are low level book cases.

The top of my desk has a row of reference books on it, the 'puter, Belton Bertie and sundry other softies, a box of tissues ( I cry a lot), a round thing to hold pens which are mainly dead from lack of use and boredom, mouse pad, a tape measure, the mini bear I made and took on Concorde, glasses cases. a china flop eared rabbit, tape measure, stapler, bust of WS, picture of Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn, a calendar, and a small, pink floppy bunny. The window sills are full of toot, and the one over the desk has files that are full of print outs of work waiting to be edited. They are also, in all probability and judging by the number of cobwebs, full of spider and fly carcasses. The floor has a clear path way through various items that have fallen off various piles that one day (holding of breath not advisable) I might pick up.

On the bureau is a clock that is always an hour slow. Draped over said clock is a spiky frog. I dusted the bureau last week and it looks very out of place.

The study is very quiet. The only noise during the day are the sound of planes and very heavy lorries. Early evening and night the only noise are birds, brown owls, foxes barking and the local randy tom cat.

Last edited:

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Giant puffy chair + laptop, or else giant puffy chair + writing pad.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I write primarily in my library/study. I tend to write longhand first, and then type.

But I also write at my desk at work when I'm on breaks etc.

cameron_chapman

Makes Things Up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronchapman.com
I usually either write on the couch with my laptop, or in my home office (which is supposed to be our formal living room, but is only ever used when we have parties). It's the lightest room in the house with a big picture window and another smaller window, plus the two windows and door in the attached dining room (there's a big doorway separating the two).

My desk is the desk of the editor at the magazine I used to work at (the magazine closed and he's since passed away). It's huge, over 2' deep and over 6' long. We think it used to be a map table in a library, and it's in horrible shape, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. If the top ever breaks (it's pretty warped now), I'll reuse the legs to make another desk.

I have a couple of bookcases in the room, as well as a couch and chair. My cat likes to sleep in the chair while I work or write, and my dog is often asleep on the floor nearby.

At the moment the whole room is a disaster area, as we're cleaning out our house and getting ready to put it on the market. But it's still a nice place to work.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score

This is me. I write anywhere - at work, at home on a laptop on the couch with the TV, my husband and stepdaughter in the background - where ever and whenever I get in the zone.

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
I have two places, a Writing Space and a Serious Writing Space.

The Writing Space is an old university surplus desk with an executive office chair and my computer. It's within an arm's reach of my CD collection for mood music and has ample space for notes and (most importantly) plates of food.

The Serious Writing Space is, stereotypically, a local coffee dive. Their chairs are much more comfortable than mine, and their inconsistent wireless means I'm often cut off from the internet, which is Distractor Number One. Going on a special trip just to write, and having plentiful and powerful sugars and caffeines nearby, seems to have a miraculous alchemical effect. And before anyone starts in with the Family guy quotes, I tend to go on Sunday afternoon when the place is deserted :)

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I finally got my own office so no more dining room for me. My office is a loft with gorgeous large windows and views of the lake. I still use my dinning room table as it has been promoted to desk since we got a new table. This works better for me because its more like a library table and gives me room to spread out.

On the table I keep a live orchid and an iPod dock. The wall has a framed copy of my first published book's cover as well as artsy black and white photos.

I love this space. It keeps me motivated.

You have my dream writing space, artemis! My friends just sold their house with a loft overlooking a lake. I wish I could have bought that house just to convert the loft into an office.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Shakesbear,

Nice description!! I need to put my bookshelves in order, because there are books every which way. My desk is an organized mess. When I want the English book, I know under which pile to reach for it!

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Giant puffy chair + laptop, or else giant puffy chair + writing pad.
Bartholomew, I wish I could write longhand, like I used to do years ago. The problem is, neither I or anyone else can read my own writing! A giant puffy chair sounds wonderful, though.

I usually either write on the couch with my laptop,
Cameron, I will do this sometimes too. I like to put some noise in either the TV (usually a Netflix something or other, since I chose not to have cable or satellite TV), or some music on, and write away!

This is me. I write anywhere
Alpha, it depends. If I'm in a library and it's noisy, I have a hard time writing there. At work as well. One of my goals is to be able to write anywhere. I like the idea of bringing my laptop with me wherever I go, just in case. But, I don't.

My coffee table, me sitting on the floor in front of it.
Scarlet, YES! I've done this before as well! It's very comfortable

An utter mess, with added pictures of hot men, er, people who look like my character
Julia, that must be wonderful surrounded by hot men! :D:D. What a great idea to surround yourself by pictures of whom your characters are supposed to look like.

I have two places, a Writing Space and a Serious Writing Space.

How wonderful that you have two places to write. I love my old desk as well. it's not falling apart, but there are so areas on it that could use some repair. I also love writing at coffee shops, at the airport when waiting for a plane.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Julia, that must be wonderful surrounded by hot men! :D:D. What a great idea to surround yourself by pictures of whom your characters are supposed to look like.

Oh it's very inspirational...:D I do write on my laptop too; the dog likes to sit on my legs. It's an utter mess there too, but I get to watch the fish swim round their tank when I'm stuck. That's therapeutic!

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Julia, I love it when my cats join me in the office to write. This last Christmas, my boyfriend bought me a nice leather chair. Well, I'm sure my cat, Buddy, thinks it's his chair- every time I stand up, he jumps right into it. Sometimes, I just move on over to the futon and write.

Status
Not open for further replies.