Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I was sent to a blog that's DEFINITELY NOT safe for work, but which held a few posts that got me remembering.

I feel old.

I was lucky. I was born 5-10 years too late to be really affected by "the gay plague". I still saw a couple of people die from it, but I wasn't that affected. By the time I got onto the scene, we'd been scared into safe sex.

But older friends were very affected. And imagine it...

And the memorials — dear God the memorials.

In 1987 I must have gone to two a month for a while. Seriously, can you imagine being 27 years old and having two people you know die every month? It got so bad that I eventually gave up going — as did most of my friends. It was just too fucking much because every memorial you went to you were reminded that fairly soon it was going to be you getting memorialized, probably by many of the same people at that very memorial service.

You spend so much time agonizing about whether you are dying or not. You don't dare go test yourself, because the survivability rate of the "gay plague" is 15% over 5 years.

Here you can read one man's account of it. It's not safe for work.

http://www.billinexile.com/?cat=125

And now? Now people call that disease "manageable".

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
My good friend saw his lover who had justed moved to NYC on Oprah, announcing that he had it. That was the first we'd dealt with it, but not the last. I can't imagine having that many loved ones die from it, though. How horrible :(

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I can't either, and I was on the scene at the tail end of it. It just boggles the mind. But it is also encouraging. All those dead, and people didn't shut down - they analysed the problem, got together, beat some sense into people, and for a long long time the gay scene, at least where I was, probably was the safest scene from HIV.

Ofc that's all changing now when there's a generation shift, and people without the memories are in the majority.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My sister died of AIDS, but she was not gay, just not careful enough evidently.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs, Diana. We were aware of it not being a 'gay disease', but I was surprised how long it took more mainstream folks to feel the same way.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
There were always straight people that got it. I remember a kid called Ryan White that got a lot of press even over here. I think he was 12-13 or something, and was a hemophiliac. The struggle he had fight to just able to go to school was horrible.

Sheila Muirenn

Rebuilding My Brain
Registered
Reaction score
The best ballet teacher I ever had died in his early 40's. That was in 1993. Robert Dicello. He'd been with ABT (American Ballet Theater) and many other places.

Horrible. Such a waste. I remember him every day.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
During the early 90s, there was a long span that I was losing a friend or acquaintance in the gay community every month, to AIDS -- and that was in a smallish city. By then, we knew what it was, at least.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I firmly believe that AIDS, cancer, other deadly so-far-not-extinct diseases will be solved at roughly the same time as cold fusion, flying cars that are realistic to use by the common man, anti-gravity, creation and destruction of mass-energy etc.

I mean, there's all these different things we haven't been able to figure out yet, and I don't think it's through lack of trying... I think it's because there's a piece of the physics puzzle that is missing - a piece that links physics and biology without the need for chemistry.

And trust me, I'm working on it!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I know how to cure AIDS. I just can't yet. The trick is to have smart enough medicine to destroy it.

Medicine that are also robots.

Nanorobots.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of "destroy mass-energy". See, if you figure out how to destroy the physical AIDS virus, but convert it into energy, you'll cause cancer and death. But if you can destroy the mass-energy (not possible in the slightest... yet) then you can "remove" the AIDS from the person's system, and then give them a bunch of antibodies to help them get back to normal.

See? Physics and biology, without chemistry.

Of course, how to do this is somewhat beyond me...

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
The first time I heard about AIDS was in a mixed straight/gay bar. In those days AIDS didn't have a name. But first I must set the stage. When I was a youngster jokes were often printed on business size white cards. They would be the kind where on side A would be a question, e.g What's black and white and red all over? Side B would be the answer. An embarrassed zebra. Silly I know but it was a kinder and gentler world. Anyway, this fellow, who never told me his name, showed me a white card with the heading "GAY CANCER". Below that was listed the symptoms for capsis sarcoma. I read the card and then turned it over. No punch line. I remember being confused and I said something like, "This isn't funny." My informant went on to explain that it was true, and that "they" had discovered a gay cancer, and it was killing people. Being in the sciences myself wondered why hadn't heard of this. That was my first brush with the gay plague. Later I went on to "buddy" PWAs who were either hospitalized or in need of transportation to clinics or help in getting /sharing housing or just in need of someone to. Aside from the casual helping hand I buddied three men on a one-on-one basis. One died 1 year from his first diagnosis, the other two who were partners, split up and died separately. I have two friends, one a writer, who have survived many years on meds.
I went to Washington DC with one of my PWAs to see the AIDS quilt. Sadly the quilt had grown so large that it was the last time it was displayed in one piece.
C

Status
Not open for further replies.