PDA

View Full Version : Australian Agent dilemma

funtastic50
07-30-2010, 06:10 AM
Am in a bit of a pickle, after a full year of non stop rejection - 74 and counting- I finally have two agents that are interested in my novel. One who wants me to sign, and a second who has sent my novel to an editor to be worked on but who has said that thereís still no promises on signing when the novel comes back from the editor.
My pickle is the agent who wants me to sign is based in Australia, from what I can gather this is a really small book market, and I donít recognise any of the authors (all Australian) on her client list. She is putting pressure on me to sign.
The second agent is based in London (huge book market) and seems to really love my novel, I think I would rather sign with her, BUT she hasnít offered.

I donít know what to do???? Any advice would be really really welcome
I know itís a good situation to be in, itís been the longest, most painful journey to get here and Iím beginning to get excited Ė this might actually happen.....

Deep breaths

AngelaA
07-30-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm a little confused about why an agent is sending your book anywhere...especially to an editor to be "worked on" without having signed with him/her first. And even then...if my agent suggested that my work needed to be sent to a book doctor I would be running the other way fast. Editorial stuff should be something you work on under the suggestions/guidance of your agent.

I would also say that based on my own experience, if you gut is telling you something, you should listen. Don't sign with anyone who puts pressure on you...I learned that the hard way...an don't do anything you are not comfortable with.

waylander
07-30-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm a little confused about why an agent is sending your book anywhere...especially to an editor to be "worked on" without having signed with him/her first. And even then...if my agent suggested that my work needed to be sent to a book doctor I would be running the other way fast. Editorial stuff should be something you work on under the suggestions/guidance of your agent.

This is not something to run away from in the UK
Some UK agents work with editors/book doctors who they know and trust to improve manuscripts at no cost to the author. This is an essential difference between UK and US agents.

AngelaA
07-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Wow! That's really interesting...why would they do that?

waylander
07-30-2010, 03:28 PM
The whole use of a book doctor/3rd party editor is much more part of the established process over here. Some agents may not have time, or may not have the skills to do a detailed edit of a manuscript.

Jodie_writes_what?
07-30-2010, 03:32 PM
If you aren't comfortable with the one in Australia don't sign. It's better to have no agent then a bad agent (not saying she's bad, but more that you might be dissatisfied?)

incognitopress
07-30-2010, 08:19 PM
My biggest question is - has the UK editor who's looking your book over asked you for any money?
If they're all working on this for free, I'd say it's legit. If they ask you for a cheque, don't bother.

Corinne Duyvis
08-01-2010, 10:16 PM
The Australian agent is putting pressure on you to sign? That's not cool. You shouldn't be pressured into doing anything at this stage. I'd ask the UK agent when she expects the novel, and how long she expects to take to make up her mind, so you know what timeframe you're working in.

I do want to point out that the agency being based in Australia isn't necessarily bad. It's entirely possible they have solid connections in the US or UK. I'd definitely ask her about that. The better informed you are, the better.

Congratulations on getting the agent interest in the first place! These situations are tough, but as you say, it's a good problem to have ;)

funtastic50
08-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks all for the good advice.
I don't believe the UK agent is doing anything out of the ordinary, I think she genuinely doesn't have the resources to edit the book and thats why she has put me in touch with this third party, whom for the record I will have to pay!
I've had the weekend to think about it and I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with the australian option now. There's no recession here and the book market while smaller, is healthy. I think it's probably the best way to go.
Thanks for the advice

Old Hack
08-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Meanwhile, you might like to PM me the name of the UK agent and the editor you've been referred to, just in case they're less than reputable. All in confidence, of course.

cooeedownunder
08-02-2010, 12:12 PM
If you've been asked to pay a cent - I think you need to run a mile.

As for the Australian agents - check here to see if they are on the list on the link below, although I doubt that has every agent listed.

http://austlitagentsassoc.com.au/members.html

Also with Australian agents - they sell books to overseas publishers, and overseas rights, all the time, and on top of that, depending on what your book is about or genre, the Australian and NZ market isn't as small as you may think.

Also some of our authors sell 20 millions copies and more. Some may not be as well known overseas, despite their main readers being there, and some have carved out careers in writing that are envible in any country.