query subject line

c_kat

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. Something else I forgot to ask in my previous post - what should you put in the subject line of the email query?

I assume the word query...but do you also put the name of your novel?

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I always put: Query: TITLE (unless agent guidelines ask for something different--always go by guidelines first).

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
"Query" should suffice--some agencies filter, and it helps your query get to the right place.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I usually put:

Query: TITLE (genre)

I mean, you don't want to put your entire letter in there, but I saw the suggestion to put genre in there once and it stuck. That way if an agent knows they're not in the mood for a certain genre, they can skip it and come back to it later - and vice versa, if they're particularly in the mood for your genre, your query might stand out more. It's a win/win. The only reason I leave it out is when the agent doesn't clearly state they represent my genre - some are vague about what they rep. In that case, I'd prefer them to get sucked in by the query instead of turning them off right at the beginning.

Definitely put the title in if it's particularly catchy/original. If it's not, I guess it can't hurt to leave it out, but I don't see any reason to.

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
I always put Query for Mr/Ms ________. That way the agent knows it's for them, and I'm not mass querying it.