Who says cats are untrainable?

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
What do they do to the cats to get them to perform those 'tricks'? None of the cats looked relaxed. Unnatural behaviour for cats. For an unneutered tom to behave like that is just not right.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yeah, fascinating stuff with a touch of weird. :) I'm sure I watched a TV doc on this, a couple of years ago maybe. "Cat experts" opined that the only reason cats would perform such tricks is because they wanted to, which all boiled down to the relationship between them and the "ringmaster."

-Derek

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I thought that the only things cats wanted to do was eat, sleep and bonk. Well, those that still have bonking equipment. The relationship concept is interesting but the cats' disposition must be an important factor. My last cat and I had a great relationship. He had a loving and playful disposition but he was also a self willed little so'n'so!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
This has fascinated me since I first saw it. The cats are treated as pets when they're not working, and he does choose his kittens carefully. He also has a book out, and says in the book that it's a matter of finding out what each individual cat does naturally, designing a trick around it, and shaping their behaviour with treats.

Cats are smart. Offer them food for doing something, and they'll repeat the behaviour. Most of us just reward our cats for doing the wrong things. What Button said is probably true. :tongue

ETA: It wasn't the cat trainer on the video who wrote the book, it was another one, but he does the same sorts of things with his cats.

Last edited:

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Interesting video!!

Cats love activity too, especially when given food afterward. My cats love to run down the hallway with me, they love the toys I bring out, etc. I would not have the slightest idea how to train them, but I do know people who have trained their cats on a leash, or to go to the bathroom on a toilet.

I too think cats are smart. They train each other. In fact, I know from whence I speak on this last statement- Buddy, my 5 1/2 year old cat, has taught Oliver, my two year old cat, how to do these trapeze jumps on the bed anytime between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. Buddy just sits by and watches, as if he has not the slightest idea what is going on.

The only training I have for that is to put them in the office/library and close the door.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My mom has had several cats that play fetch and do other "dog" tricks, but I'm inclined to think it's because there's something wrong with my mom. :)

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
That's funny!! My friends with little dogs tend to use those puppy pads- the ones that are blue and lined.

Yeah, that's how I trained her. All you have to do is put the pads in the litter box, then when they get the hang of the pads, take them out. I have a Chihuahua so we didn't want her having to go outside in the winter because she's so small. The litter box is great.