Status
Not open for further replies.

ColetteStreet

A real life fictional character.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
acidshaus.blogspot.com
I find that I do my best writing with some tunes in the background. Further, it seems like what I am listening to can even affect my writing. It struck me that I could be in a small minority. Do you write with music in the background or do you need everything quiet? If you do write to music, what music have you found influences you? When I was writing "Colette" I was listening mostly to a group called, "The Jim Yoshii Pile Up." Their tunes are very melancholy and the book is a real exploration into melancholy thoughts and feelings.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
All quiet. Very, very, very quiet. Though I don't mind coffee-house noise. Sometimes that kind of din even motivates me. But, I think you'll find that I am the one who is in the minority.

divy

rhymes with ivy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
littlelambsydivy.blogspot.com
i am often inspired by music, and i'll usually get great ideas when i'm out walking and listening to music, but i absolutely cannot have any noise in the background when i'm writing. music with lyrics is worse, but even instrumental stuff is distracting.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried writing with music many times, but once I get going, I don't hear it, so there seems to be little point. Now the only time I use it is if there is another noise I need to mask, like construction or an argument I can overhear. Or somebody's non-writer-friendly music.

Maryn, big on silence

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
ROCK ON!

I have a soundtrack for every book series that I write. I must have music.

Status
Not open for further replies.