PDA

View Full Version : All Quiet on the Writing Front or A Time to Rock

ColetteStreet
07-30-2010, 12:33 AM
I find that I do my best writing with some tunes in the background. Further, it seems like what I am listening to can even affect my writing. It struck me that I could be in a small minority. Do you write with music in the background or do you need everything quiet? If you do write to music, what music have you found influences you? When I was writing "Colette" I was listening mostly to a group called, "The Jim Yoshii Pile Up." Their tunes are very melancholy and the book is a real exploration into melancholy thoughts and feelings.

happywritermom
07-30-2010, 03:29 AM
All quiet. Very, very, very quiet. Though I don't mind coffee-house noise. Sometimes that kind of din even motivates me. But, I think you'll find that I am the one who is in the minority.

divy
07-30-2010, 05:06 AM
i am often inspired by music, and i'll usually get great ideas when i'm out walking and listening to music, but i absolutely cannot have any noise in the background when i'm writing. music with lyrics is worse, but even instrumental stuff is distracting.

Maryn
07-30-2010, 04:55 PM
I've tried writing with music many times, but once I get going, I don't hear it, so there seems to be little point. Now the only time I use it is if there is another noise I need to mask, like construction or an argument I can overhear. Or somebody's non-writer-friendly music.

Maryn, big on silence

Kitty27
07-30-2010, 05:50 PM
ROCK ON!

I have a soundtrack for every book series that I write. I must have music.