DNA factory to open within six months

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
http://singularityhub.com/2010/07/28/dna-factory-plans-to-open-within-6-months/

Before the end of the year, synthetic biologists will have a stocked factory of DNA building blocks with which to remix microbe life forms – one that will provide standardized, reliable components for the most creative of life sciences. Best of all? It’s free.

An open source DNA synthesizer?

Sounds awesome and terrifying.

But as a last note...

Synthetic biology is an emerging field that combines biology and engineering to reconfigure DNA into desirable results, generally microorganisms that can be used to produce drugs, perform chemical reactions, or work as fuels.

Two words for all peak oilers: HAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAH

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
simpsons_nelson_haha2_27772540.jpg

*ducks*

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Two words for all peak oilers: HAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAH

What I think you're missing is peak oilers don't WANT the oil to run out, they just feel it's going to. If oil runs out everything everywhere will screech to a halt, wars will flare up over the last barrels, and billions of people will die. Do you think anyone honestly wants that?

If there's a way to prevent this from happening, from adverting this possible disaster, I think any sane person would be all for it and yes that includes peak oilers.

I have to say I'm nervous about the energy supply myself and if there's a way to secure it, especially without more disasters like the gulf, I say heck yeah!

Just because someone thinks something bad is going to happen though doesn't mean they want it or are rooting for it. I'll use Y2K as an example. Certain people saw a problem, they shouted about it, drummed up interest, companies, individuals, and government got off their butts and fixed the problem so that instead of the big disaster feared, it came in with a whimper. Most people who had warned about the problem were extremely happy it was fixed.

Sure you have a few nutjobs who can't wait for it all to come crashing down, but most don't.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
No, I know they don't WANT oil to run out. I'm more laughing at how they've built themselves an elaborate fantasy end of the world scenario, working it into their brains over and over and over until it becomes a religious certainty, so that ANY changes to this possible future MUST be ignored.

Or else peak oil won't happen. And it has to happen. I mean, if it doesn't happen, they might be...wrong. But they've so much smarter than all those short sighted, ignorant sheeple.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, I know they don't WANT oil to run out. I'm more laughing at how they've built themselves an elaborate fantasy end of the world scenario, working it into their brains over and over and over until it becomes a religious certainty, so that ANY changes to this possible future MUST be ignored.

Or else peak oil won't happen. And it has to happen. I mean, if it doesn't happen, they might be...wrong. But they've so much smarter than all those short sighted, ignorant sheeple.

I wouldn't trumpet the triumpth of humanity over resource scarcity just yet. Because you might be, you know...wrong too.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Of course I might be wrong. In fact, its wholly possible that I'll be wrong. I've said as much many many many many many times. Or at least, twice.

Michael J. Hoag

"What's-it on the wall."
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zamyatin-lives.blogspot.com
Awesome.

Magical energy! Crisis averted!

This is great, it will only take OXPBIO 3 or 4 years to build their first plant if things go as expected! Oh, wait, that's their bioacrylic... I guess there are NO PLANS as of yet to build a fuel plant. But still! That as of yet unplanned and completely hypothetical plant will produce bio-diesel at a rate maybe twice as fast as current technologies and cost only $2.50/ gallon they say! Gee, it only took 10 years for ethanol to become 5% of our fuel market... But I'm sure we can hold out the 30 years or so before nanofuels become 5% of the market or so... and then, it's only a short lil' while before we're in the clear! We should have this energy thing ironed out by early next century!

And of course, these biofuels will still emit carbon... but I'm sure a solution to that is just around the corner.

So lets see, when is this peak oil thing coming? Ok, according to the US military, it's happening...

WHAT? RIGHT NOW?!!

And even if we find sustainable energy production that will only hasten global warming, ecosystem collapse and the depletion of other scarce resources?

homer-doh.jpg

Oh... US Military predicts 10m barrel a day shortfall by 2015 and the first plant won't even be built yet? Bart!

But seriously, this is cool tech. It's a big step up from current bio fuel techs in terms of environmental impact.

And I'm not really even a "peak oiler," or at least not a good one. I just think it's silly to declare that this one tech solves resource scarcity without so much as looking at start-up and infrastructure cost, environmental impact and EROEI.

Yep, I'd even call 1 DNA "factory" = 90,000,000BBL/Day fuel production a sort of religious leap of faith.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Ya know, Frankenstine made a perfectly fine lifeform.

The part where he failed was the fact that he was a shitty father. Imagine an alternate story where he overcame his initial fear of his creation and, rather than ran away, he actually tried to RAISE it, and give it the same protection we give our children from the world.

The creature would not have had a normal life, not by any means. BUt we could have evaded "becoming a serial killer."

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know Frankenstein wasn't history, right? Mary Shelley made it up.

Actually, it is a true story, of sorts, but the names were changed to protect the guilty. Lot's of people tried to make homoculi, a few of them are alleged to have succeeded.

But, the BOC song is really about Godzilla, and I was joking.

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score

This.

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just saying we're not that good at being human yet. And now we want to be gods?

Depends on your take on it. Our species is pretty damn dominant.

I disagree. I think they do want it to run out, just so they can go, "See? I told you so." They seem to take glee in doom.

QFT.

(yes, I realise this contradicts a part of my agreement with Zoom)

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I'm just saying we're not that good at being human yet. And now we want to be gods?

We're actually very good at being human, unless you mean we ought to be some kind of idealized being that is in fact quite inhuman.

We're a quarrelsome ape, just like all the other great apes. And we're very good at being that.

Michael J. Hoag

"What's-it on the wall."
Registered
Reaction score
Website
We're actually very good at being human, unless you mean we ought to be some kind of idealized being that is in fact quite inhuman.

We're a quarrelsome ape, just like all the other great apes. And we're very good at being that.

Quarrelsome apes with nukes.

Which are waaaay cooler to fling than poo.

Of course our closest great ape cousins, the bonobos, aren't quarrelsome at all. They're too busy makin' on the jungle boogie love.

And there have been many human cultures like that too.

Pussies.

Michael J. Hoag

"What's-it on the wall."
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I disagree. I think they do want it to run out, just so they can go, "See? I told you so." They seem to take glee in doom.

I agree. Except for the part about oil "running out."

Only 2-year-olds think oil will "run out" any time soon.

However, there are some who I think WANT resource Availability/Demand to continue along their current trends toward a bottleneck. But they are not homogenous. There's the:

--Religious Preppers. They want God to turn off the Vegas lights and smite the heathen.

--Feudal Preppers. They own land and have skills. They will be kings in the new economy. All shall love them and despair.

--The Red Preppers. Pussies. To them, our current violent, injust and inhuman economic system is far more frightening than not having air conditioning. These are mostly Buddhists and commies. You know, fags.

--The Green Preppers. These dopes want to have a planet, you know, to actually live on.

--Anarchist un-preppers. Ooooh... peak oil future sounds coooool.

But none of them give a crap what you think. So don't worry about them saying "I told you so."

Worry about them saying, "bury them bodies by noon and you get to eat."

Last edited: