PDA

View Full Version : TIME SENSITIVE QUESTION ABOUT EXCLUSIVES



Aldrey
07-29-2010, 06:51 AM
I have received a request for a partial and a full synopsis. The agent wants me to grant them an exclusive for four weeks. At present, I have two fulls out and two partials. These agencies have not asked for an exclusive. The agent who wants the exclusive is large and prestigious. How can I grant them an exclusive when I have material already submitted? I really don't want to miss this opportunity. Can I grant the exclusive in spite of the material out there and just not fufill anymore requests for partials or fulls going forward. Need the groups wisdom. Thanks in advance.

litgirl
07-29-2010, 06:56 AM
If you have materials already out, you cannot logically grant an exclusive. What you can do is explain that you'd love to give them an exclusive but at present other agents are reading. If the requesting agent would still like to read, you'd of course hold off on sending your work out to anyone else until they'd had a look. From what I've heard from most people in this situation, most agents will still want to take a look. There are a couple out there who are sticklers about exclusives, but it is really a very small number.

Also--in this case it is clear (the agent wants it for four weeks), but any time you grant an exclusive, be sure to name a time frame! I've known people who didn't, and things got rather tangly...

Ryan_Sullivan
07-29-2010, 07:33 AM
Yep, definitely explain you can't because there are others already reviewing it, but you can agree not to send it out anymore for the 4 weeks. It sounds like you have enough bites that you can take a break. Good luck!

Aldrey
07-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Thank you litgirl and Ryan.

Twizzle
07-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Yep, definitely explain you can't because there are others already reviewing it, but you can agree not to send it out anymore for the 4 weeks. It sounds like you have enough bites that you can take a break. Good luck!

You can also not agree and continue to send it out. Why take a break? If it's that good you're getting requests, esp for exclusives? They're legitimate options and cases can be made for and against both.

Personally, I'd actually send the ms with your response--sorry, can't grant an exclusive but if you're still interested, well, here you go. But it's your book, Aldrey. Research both options and decide which is better for you. Then go with that. Good luck with your requests!

Aldrey
07-31-2010, 01:54 AM
Thanks for all the good advice. I told the agent another agent was currently viewing my manuscript. I then asked if they would still be open to receiving my material. They thanked me for my honesty and said yes to receiving my submission. I agreed to let them know if I get an offer during the viewing period.