PDA

View Full Version : legitimacy at last... joining my first writers' group

bauthentic
09-09-2005, 11:09 PM
I've just been invited to join my first writers' group! I observed one of their meetings several weeks ago and was asked to submit a writing sample. I didn't hear anything for a few weeks... until today.

The moderator of the group wrote me back. He said my short story was well written and that he liked it! He said I made some excellent points. Of course, there are flaws, but I'm too excited to process that part of the e-mail yet. He said that with revision it could be great. I can't believe it!

Up until now, I've shown very few people my work. My poor husband has braved the jungle of being my first reader several times. I couldn't even stay in the same room with him while he read my work, and it was SO HARD for him to give me feedback and for me to receive it. I knew I wasn't putting him in a fair position.

Now that I've shown my work to a writer, who actually liked what I wrote, I feel ecstatic! I can't even describe how cool it is to read his comments on the characters I created. He actually referred to them by their names.

Does anyone know how I feel?

Saanen
09-11-2005, 01:54 AM
Congratulations! It sounds like the group is very professional and helpful. Criticism is hard because it's your creativity that seems to be under attack, but try to keep in mind that editing is an important step in the creative process too!

A good writer's group is worth its weight in acceptance letters! Congratulations again!

bauthentic
09-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Saanen,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll keep in mind what you said about criticism and editing. I know that sometimes it can be painful.