I do believe in expectations :D

Expectation--Want--Or Need

• Expectation: How dare you?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Expecation: That's fine to have them.

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Want: Who are you to want anything from anyone?

• Want: Nothing wrong here, everyone has wants.

• Need: bad bad...never need anything from anyone

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Need: again nothing wrong here, we all have them.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
So from time to time I see us discussing this topic and I'm putting this here so SK or OFG can port it somewhere else if it doesn't belong.

Having said that, I just want to say, please PLEASE do not bicker. :D

Yeah right...right?

I had an experience recently with a guy. (shock I know, I said I'd never venture that direction again) But something is really nagging at me and because of it, I basically told him in the nicest possible way to fuck off.

Here's what happened.

Me: I have a blog, did you know that?
Him: hmm. no.
Me: Here's the URL. Give it a go sometime.
Him: So here's a photo of the bike I want.
Me: If you do read it, start from post one. It will make more sense.
Him: Don't even ask me to read your stuff. I have tons of friends who want me to.
Me: No worries.

Okay so, that pissed me off. Why? I didn't ask him to read a novel or some huge dissertation I'm working on. It's a blog. About something very important to me.

I even went as far as to tell him I was disappointed. Why? Because I'm soooo sick of my life being about everyone else' interest and just for once, I'd like someone to talk to me about what interests ME.

Do I ask him to ooo and aww over my precious darling words. NO! Just read the damn thing already.

Here's the thing, we've been told thanks to Pop Psychology that we aren't to "expect" things from others.

Okay fine. But what about wanting or needing? I need someone I am interested in to show that what matters to me, will be respected and at least given some attention.

He doesn't have to become a writer. He doesn't even have to read my three WIP's but dangIT!...at least talk to me about my damn blog!

Okay so I'm done ranting. Have fun with the poll and tell me, is this and expectation, a want or a need? Right or wrong? (always subjective that one anyway.

Last edited:

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score
Well I've always been under the impression people in a relationship should take an interest in each other.

Your lad seems to be adding to the pile of evidence to the contrary. It's getting a little weighty now. Silly me.

Going into the psych of it:

Humans are social creatures. There are variations of course, but by and large we'd like someone to take an interest in us. Doubly so with potential partners, because we're a species who care for their young after birth, and we need to know if hunter gatherer man gives a damn.

So I'd say it's a need and you're very much entitled to be pissed off if the above example is a trend. Doubly so if you've invested a lot of energy in his interests, which it sounds like you have.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Well I've always been under the impression people in a relationship should take an interest in each other.

Your lad seems to be adding to the pile of evidence to the contrary. It's getting a little weighty now. Silly me.

Going into the psych of it:

Humans are social creatures. There are variations of course, but by and large we'd like someone to take an interest in us. Doubly so with potential partners, because we're a species who care for their young after birth, and we need to know if hunter gatherer man gives a damn.

So I'd say it's a need and you're very much entitled to be pissed off if the above example is a trend. Doubly so if you've invested a lot of energy in his interests, which it sounds like you have.
I've known him for 14 years now. Sometimes more...sometimes less and I've not been inclined before to try to be more than friends and it's because it's always bleeding about him.

Ack. And when I tried to talk about it he said, "right, before I say anything, I'm going to bed. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

I said..Nope, no tomorrow.

I'm always letting people shelve discussions and then nothing is done about my concerns. I'm done with that.

Reaction score
I'd say it's all of the above. I would expect a loved one to give a damn. I want them to because it feels nice. And I need them to, otherwise the relationship dies.

Oh, and sorry for agreeing with you Cass. :D

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be hurt, too. I'd want the man in my life to be interested in my thoughts and my creativity. So what if he has lots of other friends wanting him to read stuff? If he's really interested in having a relationship with you, he ought to be curious about your blog...a part of you. Well, that's how I feel anyway.

Or he ought to just read it because he cares about your feelings, and it was important to you.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I think everybody has the right to want a few things of a partner, just because it's something they really, really want. If your blog is your thing, that's cool. My Ex never, ever wanted to take even a quick walk in the garden. I am a gardening fanatic.

I'd make do with someone perfect in every other way ;) But this dude really, really wanted to live on a sailboat. Like with no earth to plant anything! Yeah, we didn't work out :D

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be hurt as well.

I always felt that a partner should show support towards the interests of their other half, even if they don't give a rat's about it themselves. My mum used to go to all my dad's running races, used to watch his bike races. Not because she's a rabid marathon slash cycling fan, but because she loves him, and is showing her support.

I try to do that in my own relationships too, but like you, it annoys me that so often, that same courtesy is not extended back to me.

I have a pet rabbit. He may be a rodent, thought of as vermin by some, but he is a member of my family, and he is my baby. Don't make jokes about eating him. Don't chase him. Don't treat him the way you'd treat a dog, since he's not - he's a small, fairly fragile animal.

And if I sit in the freezing cold for 2 hours watching you play some stupid sport, the least you can do is treat my family - fur babies included - with respect, and if I ask you to, read my damn manuscripts and be supportive.

End rant :D

My point is, he should at least have said he would read it, even if he didn't. He could have read a few posts and said, this isn't my thing, but it's amazing that you write this stuff.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say it's all of the above. I would expect a loved one to give a damn. I want them to because it feels nice. And I need them to, otherwise the relationship dies.

Oh, and sorry for agreeing with you Cass. :D
Right. that's it! You keep promising to stop agreeing with me and then you go and do it...AGAIN!

I'll think of something appropriate to punish you with. :D

Gugland

Sufficiently downsized
Registered
Reaction score
Totally agree with what everyone said. But, for myself, I don't expect it from anyone. If someone actually comes thru and demonstrates an interest in my life and is supportive, then I might pursue things further. But I gave up expecting jack shit from people. I live by the pessimists code: expectation begets disappointment.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Totally agree with what everyone said. But, for myself, I don't expect it from anyone. If someone actually comes thru and demonstrates an interest in my life and is supportive, then I might pursue things further. But I gave up expecting jack shit from people. I live by the pessimists code: expectation begets disappointment.
Yes, I can see that.

However, I get crapped on for backing out of their life then. I figure if someone isn't willing to be reciprocal in a relationship, I'm out.

Reaction score
I've been accused of being demanding for this very thing. I don't accomodate.

Thing is, I do - and you do, too, Cass. I guess we're just sick of always making the first move, always giving. It's nice to be chased, pursued and hell, valued sometimes too.

Everything this thread talks about goes both ways, but it's not healthy to fall into the trap of a never-ending series of small acts of servitude. That leads to frustration.

It's not that you don't value the other person and that's why you walk away - more like you value yourself too much to be a doormat.

/mature

megoblocks

Banned
Reaction score
I say you take off and nuke him from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Depend on another to fulfil you and you're in for a lifetime of disappointment.
the key word in a relationship 'share'.
If that's aint there, nothing is.
IMO, you're annoyed at yourself for making a incorrect judgement about someone, a judgement you knew was incorrect, but one you still applied.
The key is to examine this so called 'need' you talk about. This experience is an opp to take a closer look at 'need' and 'want.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I've been accused of being demanding for this very thing. I don't accomodate.

Thing is, I do - and you do, too, Cass. I guess we're just sick of always making the first move, always giving. It's nice to be chased, pursued and hell, valued sometimes too.

Everything this thread talks about goes both ways, but it's not healthy to fall into the trap of a never-ending series of small acts of servitude. That leads to frustration.

It's not that you don't value the other person and that's why you walk away - more like you value yourself too much to be a doormat.

/mature
Oh he was all for the chase until I actually turned around and said, "right, you want to be involved. let's start as friends and get to know each other...REALLY."

He was all for that too and subjected me to hours of mind-numbing chatter about motor cycles, planned trips and IT stuff. I kept up for as long as I could stand it before I asked him to talk to me about my research and the blog.

heh. I'm getting better though. Took me all of one week to say, Oh fuck it all. I'm done with you.

I say you take off and nuke him from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
I sooo like how you think.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Depend on another to fulfil you and you're in for a lifetime of disappointment.
the key word in a relationship 'share'.
If that's aint there, nothing is.
IMO, you're annoyed at yourself for making a incorrect judgement about someone, a judgement you knew was incorrect, but one you still applied.
The key is to examine this so called 'need' you talk about. This experience is an opp to take a closer look at 'need' and 'want.

Wow. Paul! I could have sworn that was the purpose of this thread! ;)

Who said a damn thing about having him fulfill me? This isn't about fulfillment. It's about being paid fucking attention to!

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
:D
Wll seemed to me that your required affirmation from this guy. By 'share' I mean a crossing of selves. Need is very different. as for 'thread purpose' I'm suggesting it's a Q only you can ans.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
:D
Wll seemed to me that your required affirmation from this guy. By 'share' I mean a crossing of selves. Need is very different.
No, I don't need his affirmation. I know I'm bloody brilliant.

I wanted him to show interest in what I do. If he's so self centered he can't think past himself, he's not for me. Which clearly, he has shown.

But it brings up an interesting question which this thread is posing. You are missing the point and going off on all the pop psych theories of the day and missing that this isn't about needing him to like my writing.

It's about relationships.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
, please PLEASE do not bicker. :D

em, ok

Okay so, that pissed me off. Why?

Hence my post

I didn't ask him to read a novel or some huge dissertation I'm working on. It's a blog. About something very important to me.

I even went as far as to tell him I was disappointed. Why? Because I'm soooo sick of my life being about everyone else' interest and just for once, I'd like someone to talk to me about what interests ME.

Do I ask him to ooo and aww over my precious darling words. NO! Just read the damn thing already.

Here's the thing, we've been told thanks to Pop Psychology that we aren't to "expect" things from others.

Okay fine. But what about wanting or needing? I need someone I am interested in to show that what matters to me, will be respected and at least given some attention.

He doesn't have to become a writer. He doesn't even have to read my three WIP's but dangIT!...at least talk to me about my damn blog!

Okay so I'm done ranting. Have fun with the poll and tell me, is this and expectation, a want or a need? Right or wrong? (always subjective that one anyway.

Need = wrong. (a want is the same as need in this situation ,imo)

megoblocks

Banned
Reaction score
Just ...what vehicle to use to get there???

*ponders*

DropShip-Photo.jpg