I think I screwed up my e-mail submissions

Chrisla

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've been sending out query letters and requested material to agents who request e-mail submissions only. Since e-mail converts my double spacing to single spacing, I decided (a little late) to look through the Absolute Write threads about formatting e-mails. There I was reminded that material pasted directly from my Word Perfect documents to e-mails will probably arrive at the other end scrambled--that I should have converted the documents to RTF files. I knew--and forgot that!

What would you suggest at this point:

An e-mail to each agent, admitting there are times when I could use a brain transplant, and resubmitting the material from rtf files;

Hope the files weren't too scrambled and wait to hear from them;

Write the submissions off and continue sending to new agents, using rtf files;

Any other option you can think of (since I obviously can't always trust my own brain to come up with the right information. . .)

kaitlin008

Seeing newness all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kaitlinward.blogspot.com
Were these just queries with stuff from word pasted in the email? If so, then I wouldn't email them again. They understand that sometimes email screws up formatting.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Is it all going to be scrambled? If it's a query, and the writing sample is scrambled, they'll likely request you to resend the writing if the query goes over well. If it's a requested partial or full that's scrambled (which should be attached, rather than in the body) then definitely send a e-mail explaining. People make mistakes--they understand.

In the future (not sure how many you sent), I recommend submitting in small batches (2 or 3 at a time) and waiting in between so you can catch any mistakes before you flood the market with something bad. Good luck!

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Requested material, a partial or full, should be sent as an attached document.

I wouldn't contact the agents. Either they will write you to resend or not. Try not to worry about it and just move on.

:)

Chrisla

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody. These were queries, but many of the agents requesting email queries ask that pages, even a couple of chapters, be pasted into the email. I'll do as suggested, hope not too much scrambling occurred, and move on. Ryan, your suggestion that I send out queries in small batches is a good one. I'll adhere to that in future.