Egyptian Translations

Nya RAyne

On the verge of greatness
Registered
Reaction score
In a house on a corner, next to this old lady and
I know I'm going out on a limb with this, but there wouldn't by chance be anyone in here that could help me translate a couple of sentences from english to ancient egyptian. Whatever was spoken back then will do...lol.

Also, does anyone by any chance no where I can get software for this?

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

1. There are pretty large differences in terms of "what was spoken."

2. Do you really need this? Mostly it's something authors think is important, but that really isn't.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I second Medievalist. Are you SURE you really need this? It's probably not important to the reader. I say this as somebody who writes ancient Egyptian historical fiction. :)

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I studied hieroglyphs for a while at uni. I'd say it's going to be rather complex to get a translation, and I agree with the others, if you can do without it...

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm going out on a limb with this, but there wouldn't by chance be anyone in here that could help me translate a couple of sentences from english to ancient egyptian. Whatever was spoken back then will do...lol.

Also, does anyone by any chance no where I can get software for this?

Keep doing your research. ;) Even a quick glance at a wiki will reveal that the spoken ancient Egyptian language is almost completely lost to us. We pretty much know the consonants, but the vowels are often up to interpretation. Scholars and archaeologists generally use a commonly accepted version of the language, but not everyone uses the same constructions.

The written languages are another issue--a culture that lasted as long as ancient Egypt ended up with at least six different forms of written language, from archaic Egyptian to Demotic and Coptic.

Best best for translations for any of that would be to contact a local university with Egyptology, archaeology, Near East, or Egyptian languages programs. Try starting here for references and resources.

As for computer programs, I've seen some that are geared toward professionals and scholars that'll help with translation and transliteration, but nothing that's as simple as some of the "English to X language" translators.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Nya RAyne

Registered
Reaction score
I second Medievalist. Are you SURE you really need this? It's probably not important to the reader. I say this as somebody who writes ancient Egyptian historical fiction. :)

Really? I find the very interesting. The ms I wanted this for is a paranormal romance based on egyptian mythology.

Nya RAyne

Registered
Reaction score
Just include nonsense sentences of Pharoahs and deities, like...

Horus, Tutanhkamun, Hathor, Set, Isis!

Okay, I'll go away now...

ROFL... Thanks, I need that.

Okay guys, I figured this would be difficult, but I didn't think there was any harm in asking.

I'll keep up my search since I do believe it will make the ms stronger. But if I don't find anything helpful, I'll go the straight route.