Absolute Neophyte Has Question About Queries

ThetProf

To write or not to write. . .
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to both writing and Absolute Write and technology. Please bear with me! In March I sent out queries for a novel. Almost immediately got an email back from agent saying it was "absolutely compelling" and wanted the entire ms. Sent it off that day. Four months later I have not heard from her. I have sent an email with the current revision of the ms and finally (in July) sent what my daughter deems a "suck-up gift" with note saying I just wanted to touch base etc. Still no response. I know it takes a lot of time to get a response but can I go ahead and send out other queries while I'm waiting? I had another agent ask for the first three chapters in April which I sent, but told her I had already sent the full ms to someone else. Should I contact Agent #2 and ask if she's still interested? According to my research Agent #1 is from a reputable agency.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Keep querying.
This business can make glaciers look rapid.
You did not give agent 1 an exclusive (and even if you did it has long since passed its expiry date).
I suggest you query small groups of agents maybe 5 or 6 at a time. Don't worry about simultaneously querying, agents expect that authors will be sending to many agents.

ThetProf

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Will do. Is it ok to query two different books to different agents? They're both in the same subgenre, just different time periods.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score

ThetProf

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Makes my life not easier but better able to cope!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
As you are getting good responses from your queries clearly your query letter is doing its job, but you still might enjoy this site run by agent Janet Reid queryshark.blogspot.com

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
I have sent an email with the current revision of the ms and finally (in July) sent what my daughter deems a "suck-up gift" with note saying I just wanted to touch base etc. .

:welcome:

It's confusing, querying. Absolutely confusing. And you just don't want to go out there until you're well-informed and well-armed.

The best thing you can do is hang around here and read every thread you can find on the topic until your head explodes. Once you pick up the pieces you can move on to agent blogs until your head explodes again. Janet Reid's are just two examples of the better ones. Then, once you're whole again, you'll need AW's beware's board, querytracker.net, and agentquery.com. You'll want to send lots and lots and lots of time there.

That being said, one of the you-really-don't-wanna rules is the no exception don't send agents you're querying gifts one. :) Also, you might want to ask first before sending a revision. And unless the agent asks for an exclusive or states upfront they want to know about simul subs, you don't need (and I'll argue, shouldn't) inform them who else has requested your manuscript. But sure, you can and should do status checks on requests. Most agency websites give time ranges in their guidelines of when you should consider doing so. I hope that helps.

Congrats on your requests! And again, welcome. You've landed in an awesome spot.

Last edited:

ThetProf

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. This is the kind of info I really needed six months ago when I started querying but didn't know where to go for it. I knew the expected wait time on the queries, but had no idea of time frame for a full. I live/write and learn.

Lucy

sky with diamonds
Registered
Reaction score
Wait - did you say you sent the agent a GIFT? Oh, honey, there's your problem. She's not going to write you back after the gift. There is no circumstance in which that is permissible; it tends to freak them out and is inappropriate.

Just write this one off. If she comes back, it will be a happy surprise, but don't count on it.

Keep querying.

Edited to add: Just realized Twizzle said the same thing.

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Don't send agents gifts. They go straight into the bin and you get added to the crazy list.