Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardent Kat

Kill your television
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katherineokelly.com
My current WIP features a satyr protagonist, and besides Mr. Tumnus from the Narnia series I can't think of another book/series that prominently features satyrs/fauns. Can anyone help me with suggestions? It seems like a staple of the fantasy genre and I imagine any fantasy fan would know what one is, which is why it's surprising you don't see more of 'em in fiction...

What are your thoughts about satyrs as a fantasy species?

Prit

Registered
Reaction score
The only one I can think of off-hand is Grover from the Percy Jackson series.

I like the idea of fauns/satyrs. I would love a novel that showed a little more of the dangerous side of fauns/satyrs since Mr. Tumnus is pretty tame. Even a more adult book that features them would be nice since both Grover and Mr. Tumnus appear in YA novels.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
I believe that Susan McLeod has a satyr as a romantic interest in the Spellcrackers series. Very contemporary.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
What are your thoughts about satyrs as a fantasy species?

Are they like the Ancient Greek ones who all seem to suffer from priapism and anorgasmia? (What a silly basis for a fantasy race...but then some of my classics professors were a little off, and it was a long time ago, so I may be suffering a case of pars non tota...that seems misplelled to me)

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
The MG Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull has several satyrs. They're pretty colorful characters.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Are they like the Ancient Greek ones who all seem to suffer from priapism and anorgasmia?

I don't remember any Greek satyrs who were said to be always at full alert, so to speak, and simultaneously unable to achieve orgasm.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember any Greek satyrs who were said to be always at full alert, so to speak, and simultaneously unable to achieve orgasm.

It came up (pun not intended) in I believe a 500 level Archeology course having to do with Greek vase paintings, the red and black period if I'm remembering correctly. Someone asked why the satyrs were so ugly and cross-eyed. The professor explained the theory of their frustration and insanity due to prancing around with the wood nymphs (meniodes? that name doesn't look right) who were nymphomaniacs, and that one of the gods blessed the females with non-deflatable partnes while simultaneously cursing the males with non-deflating members. There was a lot of stuff at the graduate level that was never presented at the undergrad level. I was never completely sure if the schoolboys' versions had been cleaned up for the masses, or if the graduate level stuff had been smutted down for individual professors' sensibilities. It seemed to me that a lot of the artwork depicting a whole range of fetishes et al. all came from too few dig sites, leading me to wonder if the sample was a normal distribution or if they happened to have dug up the equivalent of Hugh Hefner's compound.

Last edited:

canistra

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure you've seen movie Pan's Labyrinth. That's how i imagine a faun, a little bit dangerous and mysterious. I think i'd love to have this kind of character in my WIP.

Ardent Kat

Kill your television
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katherineokelly.com
The only one I can think of off-hand is Grover from the Percy Jackson series.

Thanks! Does he play a big enough role that it would make the book worth reading for a satyr nut? (I'm not usually a YA reader, but I'll gladly make exceptions)

I would love a novel that showed a little more of the dangerous side of fauns/satyrs since Mr. Tumnus is pretty tame. Even a more adult book that features them would be nice since both Grover and Mr. Tumnus appear in YA novels.

Interesting observation. Although there's few satyrs in modern fiction, in the original myths, they represented debauchery (drunkenness and sexuality especially), and now when you see them in pop culture they're usually "adult" and sinister. How odd that some of the few satyrs in fiction are in kids' books. Even the modern (not necessarily scriptural) image of Satan himself (goat legs and horns) was adopted from satyr imagery.

I believe that Susan McLeod has a satyr as a romantic interest in the Spellcrackers series. Very contemporary.

The MG Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull has several satyrs. They're pretty colorful characters.

Thank you both! *reps all around*

Me neither. They're certainly depicted as erect and virile in a lot of artwork, but that's just a visual representation of personality, methinks. A painting might depict a jovial character as smiling, but I don't think the implication is that the person would be smiling 24/7. Satyrs definitely have a reputation for being seductive and promiscuous, but I've never heard of them having "O" problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.