A Word for Everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Johnson, The Economist's blog for all things language-related, is running a piece on Wordnik today.

After reading the bloviation thread the other day, it seems like a lot of us thirst for new words. Go figure. :D And Wordnik has words for, well, everything.

Do pick through the Johnson blog, too. There's all kinds of goodies for us writer types.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Just what we need. A bunch of new words no one knows, people won't use, won't be around in ten years, and that make reader's eyes bleed.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just what we need. A bunch of new words no one knows, people won't use, won't be around in ten years, and that make reader's eyes bleed.

Wow, who peed in your cornflakes?
Seriously. I took a look at the list and found plenty of words that are still in circulation.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score

While that may be true, there are people here (including me) who could benefit from learning some new words. They are, after all, our tools. I love words: old, new, and made-up. They enable me to paint exciting pictures on a blank page.

Like anything else that pertains to writing, I figured people could pick through the site, find what's useful to them, and throw away the rest.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not hardly. I just get tired of taking point.

Maryn, veteran

Status
Not open for further replies.