PDA

View Full Version : Middle Grade Critique Group

icyflames
07-27-2010, 09:44 PM
I am forming a critique group for those who write middle grade fiction. It can be a novel, a short story, a collection of short stories, whatever, as long as its intended audience is for around the ages of 8-12. For now, the group will only be open to six people apart from myself. It's going to be on an online message board I have set up, because I've found email based critique groups to be a little inconvenient. While the main purpose will be to share work and get critiques, we can also give each other writerly motivation, book recommendations, general writing discussion, moral support, and exchange virtual cookies, cupcakes, and hugs. :) The group will be laid back and you can submit writing for critique whenever you're ready, rather than having to bow down to a deadline.
---
If you are interested in joining the Awesome Middle Grade Writers' Group (referred to as AMG for short), please fill out the following application and send it to silverfalcon42[at]gmail[dot]com. (Except instead of [at] you should put @ and instead of [dot] you should put .]
Name/Screen Name/whatever you want people to call you:
What middle grade project are you currently working on, and how far along in the writing process are you?
Please give a one-thousand word writing sample of your most current middle grade project available.
What kind of experience do you have in critiquing, and what kind of critiquing are you best at? For example, some people are very good at finding plot problems and bettering character depth, others are great at refining dialogue and pacing, and still others are fantastic for line-by-line edits and hammering prose into perfection.
---
Before you apply, make sure that you satisfy the following requirements:
1. You write middle grade fiction. It's okay if you also write other things, but you should have at least one middle grade project that you would like critique on.
2. You must like cookies, cake, cupcakes, ice cream, or some other form of yummyness, because virtual snacks are very important in this group.
3. A sense of humor can be useful :)
4. Not really a requirement, but it's not a big deal if you don't have experience in critiquing. As long as you're able to supply feedback on a piece, all is well.

icyflames
07-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Still 6 positions open, if anyone's interested.