So proud of my husband (relates to DADT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I am insanely proud of my husband right now.

He's in the military, and long story short, was at something today where they were discussing the DADT policy. The person leading the discussion was several pay grades higher than him, and quite a few of my husband's co-workers, subordinates, higher-ups, etc, were participating.

One of the guys on the upper end of the ranks said, quote, "If that thing gets repealed, and I see two guys making out on a dance floor, you're damn right I'm going to break it up." (referring to enforcing PDA rules for military personnel)

My husband jumped in with, "With all due respect, would you do the same for a man and a woman being inappropriate on the same dance floor?" That resulted in a somewhat shocked look. Several shocked looks, actually.

After a few of the higher ups left, the discussion disintegrated into all kinds of stereotypes being thrown around - suggesting guys will be assaulted in showers/barracks/combat zones/etc, you know the drill - and he stood his ground, shooting down every last one of them, calling people out for pulling ridiculous, bigoted arguments out of their asses.

"I don't want some guy making a pass at me."
"How is that any different from a male sailor making a pass at a female sailor?"

"This means guys are going to have to worry about being [insert crude terms for rape] in combat zones."
"Absolutely not. Sexual assault is an entirely different thing, and banning gays from the military hasn't stopped any of the STRAIGHT men in combat zones from raping other straight men, any more than it prevents STRAIGHT prisoners from raping other straight prisoners. That, and WTF does consensual sex with their own partner have to do with raping a guy who isn't willing?"

And on and on and on.

Considering the hostility from some people in the ranks about homosexuality, and the inevitable "you're defending gays so YOU must be gay", I have to say it took some serious balls for him to do that. So...I just had to brag about him. :D

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Attaboy, Mr. Thinker!

I hope this is a situation where it takes on brave man to say what many are thinking, and that soon others will find their voices and speak up.

Maryn, proud of him, too

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I am incredibly proud of him too!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Good on 'im. Great character. The people he was arguing with may harass him, but I'll bet, deep-down, they're impressed someone had guts to stand up to them.

Reaction score
"Yeah, I'm okay with gays, and my wife writes filth for a living."

I think I know who wins that argument. :D

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
So Mr. Thinker is more than just a pretty face?

I knew that already.

Kudos to him.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If he ever needs someone to dance with, I'm his guy :D

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome! When you get a chance, please tell your husband some anonymous person on the internet said he's awesome. :)

P.S. You're awesome too, of course. But that goes without saying.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Tell him Wayne Kernochan of New Preston Connecticut says he's awesome too....and mention the dance thing.

It doesn't have to be a slow dance :D

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I had to come back here because something occured to me as I was dancing with my Mr. Thinker doll :D

Srsly. This is the kind of guy I want to go into battle with. I'm sure the guys who messed with him think the same thing. They know he's straight and just standing up for someone who needs someone to stand up for them. On some level every damn one of them wants a guy like him on their side.

Yeh, I'm quick with the jokes, but I love our soldiers. I'd die for them too

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Tell your husband that you're bragging on him and that there are many smiles and attaboys launching from the interwebs to Japanistan today.

I'm very glad to hear of his bravery - in his job, in the boardroom, and between his ears. Good man. Good soldier.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
more people should be like him.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Give Mr. Thinker a hug from me. Anything more is from you... :D

Sheila Muirenn

Rebuilding My Brain
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! He actually said all that? I'm impressed! I work on a Marine base and was in the Marine Corps for four years (long time ago). That took nerve.

When I was in boot-camp in 1988, two of our DI's (Drill Instructors) were removed from the platoon and sent to Ft Leavenworth for being lesbians. (Which I always considered witch-hunts). Another was removed from her job temporarily because when questioned, she said it wouldn't bother her to work with a homosexual. Our senior DI told the platoon this story carefully. She was warning us about what not to do in our careers.

So not only is it great that he stood up for what he believed, but that the conversation happened in the first place.

It was dangerous to even discuss it when I was ‘in.’

AnonymousWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I even had to work out how to alter the dimensions of the picture so its file size would be small enough to upload. Thankfully, my determination and passion for the man saw me through the struggle.

Reaction score
Mr Thinker knows the effect Jared has on Mrs Thinker. He reaps the benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.